The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 24, 2001, 07:52 AM   #1
Bud Helms

THE MOST underused resource on TFL ... the search function.

Where do I find a good deal on ____?

What's the best ____?

How do ____ and ___ compare?

There's already an ongoing thread about the top ten posts on TFL. I don't mean to start another one. But I was wondering if a more prominent "advertisement" for the search engine and its capabilities would raise the quality of posts? 'Not complaining, mind you. 'Just something I was pondering.
Old February 24, 2001, 08:42 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rights of Passage, Sens

That's the way I look at it. It's easy to forget when we were New Guys.

A new Member signs up and then gets an email telling him how to activate his profile. He goes thru that and then hits the Board for his first post. There's Policies to read, pages to navigate, buttons to figure out, links, libraries, theaters, faqs, Edits and more buttons. And all the poor guy wanted to do was join in! Sometimes I'm surprised we grow as fast as we do and I wonder about all the lurkers out ther that have tried and given up in desperation.

Finally, the guy/gal can post. No great wonder that the first post might not be about the preferred rate of twist for a 180 gr .308 projectile. If TFL is truly a microcosm of the shooting world in general, the age old debates of "Which is best: Colt of Glock?" are expected to appear here regularly. The only thing that changes is the participants. A NG can look up the "answer" with the Search button....but he doesn't necessarily get to engage the debate that way.

So I say to the New Guys:
You've come a long way just to get this far. There are no stupid questions. However, as Sensop points out, much wisdom exists in our database. Generally, it's just a Search Button away!
Rich