The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 4, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1
seansean1444

your most accurate/favorite c&r gun?

looking to buy a c&r gun and most are in my price range but with so many choises dont know what to get. leaning twoards the mosin nagant
Old December 4, 2010, 08:20 PM   #2
ks_wayward_son

Sean, what kind of gun are you looking for? Rifle, pistol? I'd say you cannot go wrong with a Mosin for your first. Of course, I also have some others. Just this year with my new C&R license I have already started a good collection...many countries (or formally thereof) represented. Enfield No. 4 Mark I (British), Md 57 Tokarev (Yugoslavia), Mosin Nagant 91/30 (Russia), M 39 Mosin Nagant (Finland), K 31 (Switzerland), and P 38 9mm (Germany), CZ 82 (Czechoslovakia). I am thinking automatically that my next milsurp should be a mauser of some kind...possibly a Yugoslavian 24/47 or VZ 24 from Czechoslovakia. If you find that you enjoy milsurp collecting, shooting...you should look into a class 03 C&R FFL. To me, it sounded daunting at first, but really theres not a whole lot to it. A few holes to jump through and you can have a 3 year collection license for 30.00. You then can have milsurp arms shipped directly to your house at dealer prices. There are some caveats to the license though. Read up about it some more here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...fl03/index.asp
Old December 4, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
seansean1444

i wish i could get a c&r but im only 16... i really like the mosin due to the ammo is relativally cheap. i think it would make a good deer hunting gun out to 200 mabe 300 yards max and i have seen some people get some amazing accuracy out of them. are you familiar of the 91/30 with the pu style scopes? they intrest me the most. also on the back burner is the swiss k31 but mosin is #1
Old December 5, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
ksstargazer

In general, my most accurate are my Finnish mosins. My M39's are all 1.5 MOA or better. My M27's are similarly accurate.

My K31's are also very accurate.

My Enfield #4 Mk 1's are very accurate.

My M98/22 mausers are very accurate.

My worst would be my semiautomatics (SKS, AK, Cetme, SVT 40, etc). Generally they get 3-5 MOA.

I also have a few individuals (M91, #1 Mk3 Enfield, Soviet M91/30) that get horrible accuracy.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
wogpotter

#4 MkII Lee-Enfield. The post war Faz rifles were some of the best of the breed, better bored chambers, tighter bores & better triggers.

5-round 100yd group, sorry about the flyer
Old December 5, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
mrgoodwrench76

Beautiful rifle man. What did that set you back?
Old December 5, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7
k31

if you want an acurate rifle dont waist time or money on a 91/30 to start
they can be amazing shooters but its a 50/50 the k 31 is hands down the best taken care of millitary rifle they inspected and cleaned often used great steel and only used non corosive ammo the back half of the stocks can be some what ratty looking but all in all they are amazing shooters with a trigger that breaks like glass and usually about 2 or 3 lbs the straight pull is lightning fast
and solid the surplus ammo is great too
Old December 5, 2010, 12:56 PM   #8
benogil

Real world results for the most accurate milsurp can be best seen from the results of the CMP matches. Although there may be others that are great shooters, the Swede mausers have been the most consistent winners for years, with K31's being second, overall.
Old December 5, 2010, 03:42 PM   #9
wogpotter

Don't ask, too flippin' much.
It was a wrapped mummy when I got it, unfired except for the factory test rounds. Everything is matching & Headspace, bore & chamber are dead on mil spec.
You can find similar ones round here, but unwrapped for about $450~$500.
Old December 5, 2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Hardcase

Don't forget the vz24 Mausers. I've got a couple and they're very accurate and a load of fun to shoot. I think that they're underappreciated, but that makes them reasonably priced, I guess.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:30 PM   #11
mrgoodwrench76

Worth every penny wogpotter.
Old December 5, 2010, 07:21 PM   #12
wogpotter

Abso-flipping-lutely.
This is that one "never sell rifle"!

If I ever had to pick a second with a slick a bolt & as accurate it'd be a K-31, a friend let me try his & I was impressed, no small thing for someone who finds most non-Enfield bolts klunky.
Old December 5, 2010, 08:30 PM   #13
NYPD13

If you have to choose between the Mosin 91/30 and the K31, the swiss rifle has the edge in the accuracy department.
Old December 6, 2010, 02:32 AM   #14
Ignition Override

seansean:

Although we very seldom see any Enfield #4 or #5 at our Memphis-area shows, unless it was sporterized, the #4/1 can be a really good choice.

They can be fairly attractive, but most are not "too purdy to take out and shoot".
You won't feel that you should protect their virginity, and for the other $300-600, you can buy a batch of excellent Prvi ammo. I've reloaded most cases over five times, using 150-grain bullets.

A marksman friend (who set iron sight records at 200 & 600 yards with the AR) tried a few shots at 50 yards. First time with an Enfield.
My #4/1 is just good condition.
His first and only shot from 100 yards went into the center of the bullseye, and he was sitting on the ground, using just his arms, legs.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 6, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:30 AM   #15
doofus47

My Spanish M43 Mauser was very accurate. My Mosin M44 was pretty close. My Arisaka carbine was probably the best, once you got used to the bullets going a little high at 100.

My Hakim grouped fairly well, but was always low and right.

My RC K98 would keep MOP (middle of paper) accuracy.

None of them were above or below expectations for military-grade rifles. I used most of them as backup hunting rifles.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:45 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Most accurate mil-surp is my Swiss ZFK, followed by K-31's, No4 MkII's. I recently shoot some good hand loads from several of my 8mm Yugo Mausers and was amazed at how much better they shoot vs the 50's surplus I have been shooting.
Old December 11, 2010, 09:58 PM   #17
gandog56

Well, I have like a 3 way tie for accuracy. I have a Finn M39 Mosin Nagant, a Finn capture 91/30 Mosin Nagant, and a K98 Mauser that shoot pretty much the same accuracy. I have a Steyr M95 that comes close to them, but dang that thing bangs your shoulder.
Old December 11, 2010, 10:14 PM   #18
DoctorXring

Sean --

How much (real) money do you actually want to spend on this rifle ?

dxr

Old December 12, 2010, 12:09 PM   #19
10 Spot Terminator

WHAT ????

Not one mention of a 96 Swede here ??? If you learn how to read the armourers plate they imbed in the buttstock " before " you buy one you will know exactly what you are getting . As for the Mosins these guys are right about being careful here. Many of these were hard used battle rifles and due to corrosive ammo wrecking havoc with the bores plus being built in war time conditions where top quality got pushed aside due to the Germans pounding on the gates , not all rifles started out or ended up so well. I opted for a pre-war 91-30 and was allowed to slug the bore prior to buying it. This tends to pretty much tell you if you have a keeper or not if the rest of the rifle is nice and tight . If you find the bore to be over .311 at all let someone esle own it. You will pay more these days for a Finn 44 or a good 38 unless you catch someone napping. As I am a reloader I havent Tried the K-31 yet and would ask if boxer primed brass has been made available as when I first saw these rifles made available to the public the ammo was pretty pricey for mil-surp and nobody was loading for it commercially at that time. Owning a nice old rifle is one thing,,, being able to afford to shoot it is another.
Old December 12, 2010, 12:13 PM   #20
Alden

What does "C&R" mean?
Old December 12, 2010, 02:59 PM   #21
wogpotter

"Curio & Relic"
a list of specific firearms over (IIRC) 50 years old that can be collected on a C&R License.
Old December 12, 2010, 08:27 PM   #22
seansean1444

i have 500 to spend
Old December 23, 2010, 12:56 AM   #23
Ignition Override

seansean1444: With one of my Enfield "Jungle Carbines", sat on the ground yesterday at the range. All shots at 50 yards into a black Redhead 12" target ('shoot N see' type). Stuck on a three-inch orange circle as a bullseye.

Something is hard to figure out. Made an ok loose group from 50 yards on the bench yesterday.
But just sitting on the ground by the bench, and with no training for this position, got a three-hole string about 2 & 1/2" long, and another string of three shots just 1" long. Just checked the target, and both strings were touching or very near the bullseye.

Both Enfield #5s are much lighter, handier (and for steady aiming) than a typical full-length milsurp. The smallest of the two aperture holes has a nice ladder adjustment. When I finally go hunt large feral pigs in south TX this spring, the Enfield #5 will probably be the rifle.
My first came from "Joesalter.com", up in New Hampshire. Have you seen his selections? It cost about $425 before ship & FFL fees in April '09.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 23, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old December 23, 2010, 09:51 PM   #24
sergestorm

seansean1444

Check out the Swede M96 and M38 rifles. They can be surpurbly accurate and you can judge their bore condition by the round condition tag on the butt stock. While there is a lot of 7.62X54 ammo around for the Mosin, it won't last forever and the Ruskie guns can range from pretty good to terrible. The Swede would be a reloading project but if you are serious about shooting you will get there anyway. The 6.5X55 round is also a great performer on anything from woodchucks to moose.

A really nice Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2 would be my second choice, but don't fall for a cheap worn out war-time model. With Lee Enfields, condition is less certain unless you get one of the newer models like the Mk2 made after 1950.