The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Alaskee

450 Marlin bullet and powder recommendations

I just picked up a Marlin 1895 model with 18" bbl and porting and had a couple questions for all you 450 reloading afficianados. I'm looking at hot loading 400 +/- grain hardcast gas checked lead bullets in this gun. I'll be molding my own bullets. Can anyone suggest good powder/s for this bullet weight and also a 400 +/- grain bullet mold which produces accurate bullets.
45-70 loaders are welcome to chip in.
Thanks.
Old August 18, 2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Slip Shooter

Alaskee,

I Feel Your need for a powerful load up there in the land of the Midnight Sun.

Since I see no responses to your Query, may I suggest you obtain a copy of The American Rifleman, November, 2004 p, 38 "Handloading the 450 Marlin". Perhaps someone could email you a copy of the article. (Sorry, I don't have a scanner). Richard Lee's, Modern Reloading, Second Edition has load info on the 450 Marlin on p. 69 for jacketed bullets.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are other Gun Rag articles out there. Maybe some one else can chime in.

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old August 18, 2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Slip Shooter

How to Catch a Polar Bear! (or, You Don't Need a 450)

A trip to Alaska.

For us here in the lower 48 you'll have to hire an Eskimo outfitter with bush plane and dog sled as an option. Make arrangements during the early morning season of the year just after the 6 months black out.

If you just happen to live in Alaska, you may already have a bush plane and dog sled. At any rate, you will probably still need an Eskimo.

About the only supplies you will need are warm clothing to protect you from the harsh environment, binoculars, and a large can of Green Giant Green peas.

After arriving at your destination, preferably remote, settle in over night and prepare for the big hunt tomorrow with your guide. Remember he is the expert here, and what he does will make your hunt successful.

When you fly into your Eskimo guides chosen hunting area the next morning, make sure it's the early morning season of the year with the sun just above the horizon.

Arriving safely, instruct you guide to hastily build an igloo with a large opening for easy entry and exit that faces West. The Polar Bear won't be able to see as well when coming in from the west. You know! This early in the season, the sun will be in his eyes!

Next see that your guide cuts a hole in the ice, mabee 20 feet to your west, and about four feet in diameter. Place the Green Giant peas in a circle around the hole at least three deep.

Quickly hide in the igloo so you can see and watch the hole. Carefully scan the vast trunda with you binoculars. Do this without detection.

The Polar Bear you are hunting, has probably never seen anything green. The green peas will be a natural curiosity for the bear and the smell travels for miles.( He possibly has seen an Eskimo scared green but, that will be of no consequence on this hunt). You will need the patients of Job, but the wait will be well worth it. After all, how many hunters have actually caught a Polar Bear.

Get your guide and hide yourselves in the igloo, quickly.

Get Ready! Get Ready! Now, Get Ready!

Here He Comes! Here He Comes!

Now! Now!

As the polar Bear strolls up to take a pea, run out and kick him in the ice hole!

Nice hunting Alaskee.

Slip Shooter -

NRA Benefactor Member.

Last edited by Slip Shooter; August 18, 2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old August 18, 2005, 10:18 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

It'll never be really hot with a cast bullet. There seems to be no cast bullet data on-line. I'd just use .45-70 data and watch the velocity.