The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 2, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1
psychohellbilly666

Beowulf 50 cal suggestions

I was looking at some info on the Beowulf 50 cal. Seen some under 2k. Also seen info on a conversion. Anyone have experience with this caliber and was it a full or conversion. What are the drawbacks if any of the conversion. I currently have an original pre buy out bushmaster. Would it work for that and what price range and what would be needed.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Achilles11B

I owned one for a little bit, it was a fun rifle but expensive to feed. Recoil was stout but nothing unmanageable. I had a 16" AA upper that was pretty accurate and I'd recommend it for anyone looking for something that hits hard at close range (>200 yards).

What do you mean by a conversion? If it's just putting the upper on a good, milspec lower, you'll be fine.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
psychohellbilly666

Yeah that's what I was referring to. Just a new upper. What's the typical range on the round and cost. Are they as hard on scopes as I've read.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Achilles11B

The round drops quite a bit after 200 yards. I was paying about $30 for a box of 20, the cost might be cheaper if you reload, I know there's a few guys here that reload for it, they'll be able to tell you more about that than I can. The recoil can be punishing on optics, I used to run a Trijicon red-dot sight that couldn't handle it, it was pretty frustrating. I had Magpul backup sights on it that handled it just fine, though, so maybe a good set of irons is a better bet.