The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2012, 12:21 PM   #26
53rdcard

other then what has already been mentioned, the only other thing i can add is, and unfortunitly this isnt going to be a cheap option, but it just might work.

you know those pore strips you can get for your nose that pull out all the blackheads, basically they are a adhesive on a piece of cloth, you could try those, or something like a hot wax that pulls out hair.

not going to say either will be comfortable, but both are going to remove a couple of layers so skin and anything in it.

and at least what happened to you was an accident, i have seen some epic levels of stupidity at the range over the years.

The one that will always stick in my mind is a guy that had a muzzle loading 6 shot pistol, it was pretty much like mine so i knew the first time i saw it happen what he was doing and promptly reported the extreamly unsafe behavior. he would load 5 of the 6 chambers, and not put on the grease that seals them to keep them from going off all together, then he would fire it and the one lined up with the barrel and the 2 on either side would all fire at the same time sending the barrel bullet down range and the side ones out at 45 degree angles from where he was standing.

he got kicked out of the range for doing this, and apparently when i reported him, it wasn't the first time, he had already been kicked out, and one of his friends who was also a range member brought him. a month passed and i didn't see him again, until i was pulling up to the shooting area one day, just as he fired that pistol again, and this time, it cost him 3 fingers and his thumb, and his friends not only got kicked out of the range, but also got to dig bits of revolver cylinder out of there torso, arms, and legs.

i'll take a responsible person who has an accident, even one that could have been prevented had they not had a brain fart, over an idiot any day, my only question is, did this person learn from what happened, or is he still doing stupid things like that.

Last edited by 53rdcard; November 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:25 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Good idea. Probably worth a try. At least it's known to be safe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2012, 04:34 PM   #28
Drywall8

I need to try some of this PRID stuff it looks promising. Maybe one of those pore strips once the skin has healed up a bit more.

I learned from my accident and won’t forget it. I want to make sure no one else makes my mistake as well. I read online about a guy killing himself with an SKS double feed.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:45 AM   #29
Rifleman1776

It will work it's way out with time. Do nothing.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:53 PM   #30
Bill Daniel

What chemical dissolves propellant?

The main issue is to prevent as much scaring as possible. As previously recommended in this thread keep the wound clean and covered with Neosporin or the like. By decreasing the scaring the foreign material will work its way out. If the material is into the deep dermis and subcuetaneous tissue you have a tatoo and no solvent will remove it with out creating scaring in that tissue plane which will cause you to loose some function of your hand. In this case less is definitely better than more.

All the best,

BillthegeneralsurgeonDaniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old November 15, 2012, 06:16 PM   #31
justsoIcanupvotethis

"The main issue is to prevent as much scaring as possible. As previously recommended in this thread keep the wound clean and covered with Neosporin or the like. By decreasing the scaring the foreign material will work its way out. If the material is into the deep dermis and subcuetaneous tissue you have a tatoo and no solvent will remove it with out creating scaring in that tissue plane which will cause you to loose some function of your hand. In this case less is definitely better than more."

But chicks dig scars!
Old November 15, 2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Etkini

I would try a drawing salve. I can't remember the name of the stuff I have, but it's almost a black tar and will draw damned near anything out of your skin. I've used it on slivers and ticks with good results; can't say I've ever had powder stuck under my skin but I'm surprised the ER wasn't a little more worried about the side effects. Or couldn't offer you and advice on how to draw it out. I would try the salve on some powder not in your arm to see what it does first.

I'd be worried about using something to break it down, especially in your skin. I wouldn't want that crap floating around in my blood stream any more than it already might be.