The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 1999, 02:52 PM   #1
Steve Koski

No, I haven't done it. At a pin match a few weeks ago I talked to a guy that did.

He removed the old primer by putting a very small punch through one of the flash holes and tapping it with a hammer. He then put the case on a bolt (upside down) and put a larger punch into the primer pocket. He smacked the punch with a hammer and that flattened out the little tit. Reload as normal. He did this in 45 ACP and said he got as many as 9 loads out of the cases. He said the cases didn't grip the bullet too well, and sometimes when the bullet hit the feed ramp they would set back a long ways into the case.

Needless to say, I don't think this is a good idea. It was interesting to hear about though.

Take care,

Steve Koski
[email protected]
Old January 21, 1999, 11:19 PM   #2
Grayfox

You're right, NOT a good idea!
Old January 22, 1999, 01:40 AM   #3
ShadedDude

ok, three statements.

1)If your reloading, and shooting for any sort of accuracy I would think you would want all your primer holes to be the standard size, and for them all to MATCH.

2) Why bother when there is so much good brass readily availible?

3)If a .45 ACP bullet is seated to deep then the pressures can get quite high, possibly ending in the gun being rendered useless, and possibly even the shooter.

having said this...alow me to add.....

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I wouldnt stand to close.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old January 22, 1999, 03:16 AM   #4
Cheapo

Hey, I thought CCI was using primers of a slightly "different" diameter so such nonsense could not be done!

This might be okay for .45 ACP pressures, but I wouldn't trust aluminum for repeated cycles of stress. The stuff work-hardens and gets really weak.

This is a post-apocalyptic field expedient. Not worth the effort and risk in our prosperous times.

Frightening, eh?