The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2001, 02:46 AM   #1
SBLars

Rifle Reblueing, cost?

Well, I found a barrel for my Mossberg 152K. It is already attached to a receiver, so the guy is going to send me the whole unit for the price of the barrel. This will definitely save me the cost of having a smith fit the barrel.

But, it needs to be reblued. How much can I expect to pay for this to be done for me?

Or should I attempt to do it myself? I know I don't have a vessel large enough to dip the whole barrel and action at one, so I guess it would be better to send it out.

Thanks
Old August 11, 2001, 04:38 AM   #2
Herr Walther

I can't quote prices because I'm not a 'smith. There are several blueing methods used depending on the quality of finish that you desire.

Traditional cold rust bluing is by far the most time-intensive of the processes but the results are like nothing you've ever seen before if done correctly. Used a lot on high-grade doubles with silver soldering on the barrels.

Hot salts bluing is the most widely used and is economical. Beautiful results can be obtained using this method if the metal is prepared correctly and the chemicals are right.

Good results can be obtained for a servicable finish using cold blue methods. Several varieties of cold blue products are available from Brownell's and many people are satisfied with this type finish for a working rifle, handgun, or shotgun that is not a prized collector piece. DIY'ers can usually handle this if the instuctions are followed precisely and patients is used.

Check your local gun store Brownell's catalog. The process is explained for each type of refinishing system. Very good reading if you've ever wondered about the magic of bluing firearms.

Good Luck.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 11, 2001, 06:40 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

SBLars, the cost would depend on how shiney a finish you want. In my shop matte blue or factory blue runs $125.00. George
Old August 11, 2001, 01:37 PM   #4
SBLars

ok, thanks guys.

It really isn't worth it to me to spend 100 or more dollars on a rifle that is not worth 125 dollars. I could even keep it like it is and just keep it oiled with Militec 1.

Appreciate the responses.
Old August 11, 2001, 01:53 PM   #5
RiverRider

I have managed to get pretty good results with certain cold bluing solutions, the best being Formula 44/40 from Brownell's. Just degrease the barrel and apply the bluing with a generous piece of degreased fine steel wool. It may take a couple of tries, but you can make a $125 gun look pretty good.

-RR-
Old August 12, 2001, 02:00 PM   #6
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
For a turnkey job $125 is about what I've seen. Most of the cost is in the labor involved in polishing, which takes hours. If you do all the elbow-work and polish it yourself most Smiths will charge around $35 to "dip" your parts in their blue tank. IMO hot blue is the best way to go for large parts, cold blue works fine for touchups and small parts. -- Kernel