The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Uncle Malice

Leaked images of the new striker fired HK 'P30' style pistol

We have the first images of the prototype for the new striker fired HK pistol. Thus far, it appears to be dubbed the SFP9 (striker fired pistol?) with similar ergonomics to the P30.

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It looks to have the same grip and use the same mags as the P30 - which is to say the grip should be very comfortable. The top half reminds me a lot of the Walther PPX/PPQ style, which really, shouldn't be a bad thing. It looks like the bore axis has been lowered a little, but not too much. That's a non issue for me though. I have never found my HK's to have much muzzle flip.

I'll admit that I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing, though I can't necessarily explain why. I'll hold off judgement to see what the trigger is like. I guess the important part is making sure that it runs with the legendary HK reliability.

What say you? This is sure to be controversial.

Old February 22, 2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Wwrhodes91

Something looks off about it. The grip looks too narrow at the top or something.
Old February 22, 2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Mystro

My gut feeling says no to its looks. If it has the typical HK trigger, then hell no.
The Walther PPQ is still top dog in my eyes and trigger finger.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 22, 2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Hook686

It looks as ugly as a Glock to me.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 22, 2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Uncle Malice

Quote:
If it has the typical HK trigger, then hell no.
What do you consider a 'typical HK trigger'? The P7 is striker fired and has one of the best triggers available on any gun, ever.

I don't expect this to be as nice as the P7 trigger, but we'll see. I think LEM edges out any benefits the striker fired gun may bring... the only difference is that this one will probably be around $600-$650 instead of $900.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:05 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Dude we still have no idea if these images are legit. I think it is misleading not to mention that these are supposed images of the new pistol. Just because someone shared them on the HK pro forums doesn't make them undeniable.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:56 AM   #7
sigarms228

Quote:
Dude we still have no idea if these images are legit. I think it is misleading not to mention that these are supposed images of the new pistol. Just because someone shared them on the HK pro forums doesn't make them undeniable.
I agree LOL. No sense getting in a tizzy over them. There are some very reliable sources over there and it makes sense to see someting from a source such as that.

Having said that I love my hammer fired HKs but don't really have any interest in a striker fired one. Personally I can't even see why they would make one given the options they offer now with LEM unless it strictly is to get to a lower price point with a striker fired pistol.

Last edited by sigarms228; February 22, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:59 AM   #8
sigarms228

Quote:
My gut feeling says no to its looks. If it has the typical HK trigger, then hell no.
The Walther PPQ is still top dog in my eyes and trigger finger.
I have a Walther PPQ and it is a stunning pistol. It also is a design that is well tested for over 15 years now being essentially a slightly modified variant of the Walther P99. First poly pistol with changeable backstraps I believe also. Hope to try out the longslide 5 inch barrel model soon.
Old February 22, 2014, 01:36 PM   #9
PSP

I lean towards wanting a hammer. What I don't see is a decocker, which is something I'd prefer on a striker. I wonder why the two left side levers. Does it disassemble with or without a cocked striker? Otherwise looks like a P30. If it's as good a design as the P30 then it will be an excellent pistol. Wait and see.
Old February 22, 2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Kevin_d77

Looks exactly as I would imagine......just like a PPQ
Old February 22, 2014, 02:20 PM   #11
glove

Looks like a Walther P-22 just larger.
anyway.
Old February 22, 2014, 08:06 PM   #12
kcub

You won't see HK try to make a gun out of pot metal, only Umarex.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:21 PM   #13
IMightBeWrong

I like it. I had a PPQ and got rid of it a while back. Good trigger, but the P30 grip blows it away. Holding a PPQ and a P30 there is a definite difference in quality of materials and finish to me. This looks very interesting. If it has a trigger as crisp as the PPQs then I will likely find a way to budget one.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:43 PM   #14
Uncle Malice

The more I see it, the more I'm starting to like it. I hope they get the trigger right. I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up.

I'm really considering a P30L V1 to compliment my V3 currently.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:40 PM   #15
Fishbed77

It looks like HK needs to start paying Walther some royalties.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:42 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I lean towards wanting a hammer. What I don't see is a decocker, which is something I'd prefer on a striker.
Then get a P99AS.
Old February 23, 2014, 12:06 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
It looks like HK needs to start paying Walther some royalties.
Given that the P30 came before the PPQ, and this is basically the looks of a P30 with a striker fired mechanism, I fail to see why.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 23, 2014, 01:50 AM   #18
shaunpain

While I'm sure that it will shoot fantastically, if it's even real, it is utterly unaesthetic. The ergonomics are pretty intriguing, but I don't I could ever get over how unappealing it looks. It really does hinge on that trigger.
Old February 23, 2014, 02:17 AM   #19
Elerius

Another gun maker jumps into the striker fire pit

I hope this turns out to be a hoax, honestly. The market is flooded with striker fires and I'm tired of it. At least HK has continued to develop new guns that are hammer fired, along with Beretta and Sig which I think gives them a little extra respect.

What I'd like to see is a new gun come out with a metal frame from HK. When that happens, I'll be a lot more interested.
Old February 23, 2014, 03:19 AM   #20
1stmar

I like it. The grip angle looks like it might be to sharp and the trigger reach may be a bit far for my smaller hands. Have to feel it. I prefer striker fired. What's the objection to them? I don't want da/sa or da only. The p7 was a striker fire, no? Didn't hk really lead this evolution?
Old February 23, 2014, 08:43 AM   #21
kcub

I would imagine the Walther PPQ is eating into HK's bread-and-butter, European police agency contracts. I'm sure this new striker gun is aimed at competing for that market first and foremost.
Old February 23, 2014, 08:54 AM   #22
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Another gun maker jumps into the striker fire pit
I hope this turns out to be a hoax, honestly. The market is flooded with striker fires and I'm tired of it. At least HK has continued to develop new guns that are hammer fired, along with Beretta and Sig which I think gives them a little extra respect.

What I'd like to see is a new gun come out with a metal frame from HK. When that happens, I'll be a lot more interested.
It's not a hoax. HK officially announced it was on the way at SHOT, they just didn't provide any photos.

HK has been producing polymer striker fired pistols since the 70's - quite some time before ANYONE else. They aren't exactly new to the game and this isn't their only new development.

A P30 subcompact is also on its way, which I AM super excited about.
Old February 23, 2014, 09:26 AM   #23
Jim Watson

It looks to me like all the plastic molders, Glock, Smith, XD, Walther, and H&K are bringing out new models and scrambling desperately for smaller and smaller slices of the service and SD pistol pie.
The problem is, even a plastic pistol is a "durable good" and they have to either find new customers or convince the existing ones that their old guns are no good. A tough proposition, my Gen I G17 is as good as anything they are making now and a friend is still wedded to his Walther P99AS
Old February 23, 2014, 09:27 AM   #24
sigp226wgerman

Not a fan. I like how the regular P30 looks, but this looks like a PPQ. For apme reason the PPQ reminds me of a plastic Hipoint.
Old February 23, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25
Mystro

Just for a reference, a pic of my PPQ. I can certainly see the German similarities.
The reason the PPQ has such amazing trigger and that separates itself from all the others is that it is the ONLY totally pre cocked triggers. That is a major difference when you don't have to partially cock with each pull of the trigger.
As much as I love the HK, all mine are DA/SA and are on the USP platform.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; February 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM.