The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 5, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

NRA Board of Directors Elections 2014-2015

Every year, the NRA holds elections for 1/3 of the seats on its Board of Directors. Any Life member (or above) or any member with 5 years consecutive membership can vote by mail-in ballot (comes in your magazine) or in person at the annual meeting.

Additionally, the NRA has a nominating committee who will recommend candidates. Traditionally, candidates who do not receive the support of the nominating committee haven't done well but the past two cycles, several candidates who did not have the support of the nominating committee have managed to be elected - including long time never-asked-to-dance candidate Steve Schreiner.

I am starting this thread to discuss candidates for the 2014 elections (who will serve through 2015). I am concerned that there are at least a few candidates running for the Board of Directors who appear to support additional laws and regulation limiting the Second Amendment. It would seem one of these candidates is former Navy SEAL, Brandon Webb (see: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/156...__.html&page=1 for details)

Among the things he has already advocated is mandatory firearms training in all states. He has also declined to answer several direct questions on his support for certain firearms laws. Here is a sample quote from him:

"http://www.brandontylerwebb.com/830/the-gun-problem-in-america/

Sometimes change, as difficult as it can be at first, is a good thing, after all it was once within our constitutional rights to own and enslave other human beings.If we continue to do nothing then we can expect more mass shootings in the near future. Remember that when you kiss your kids goodbye on their way to school."

Let's make sure that we do our best to inform our voting decisions for the NRA Board. No organization can be better than the members who make it up and it is up to us to take our responsibility seriously.
Old December 5, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Skans

Thanks for starting this thread - I am a Life Member and will be watching for my ballot and checking back here as well. Perhaps this should have a "sticky"?
Old December 5, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
g.willikers

Hate to say this, but it seems that folks from a military background can get used to regulations and controls that do not transfer to the civilian way of life.
Or, at least, shouldn't.

Last edited by g.willikers; December 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

More than anything, we need people to actually send in the ballots. Generally, less than 10% of eligible NRA members actually do so.

That's why we still have Joaquin Jackson and Ted Nugent on the Board.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:55 PM   #5
RangerHAAF

Just got my ballot on Saturday and he's not on the official nominee list. I respect him as a soldier and we've both served under the SOCOM(he as a SEAL and me with the 1st Ranger Battalion) umbrella but I disagree with his statements of gun regulations and cannot vote for him.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old January 20, 2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Among the things he has already advocated is mandatory firearms training in all states. He has also declined to answer several direct questions on his support for certain firearms laws. Here is a sample quote from him:

"http://www.brandontylerwebb.com/830/the-gun-problem-in-america/
Dear deity of your choice!

That reads pretty much like a manifesto from a double agent planted by the Bloomberg/Feinstein team. And it was written to press all the buttons, too.
  • I’m a gun owner and enjoy shooting with my son in a safe controlled environment. Mandatory appeal to authority: "I'm a gun owner."{Fudd/Metcalf}
  • I personally wouldn’t have taught him firearms safety at such a young age if given the option. However, America is rooted in gun ownership culture I thought it best to drive home firearms safety and the responsibility that comes with handling firearms. Because in a safe world nobody has any need to learn about firearms safety. Then we can eliminate the Eddie Eagle program, too.
  • His mother and I did decide to take away all his violent shooting video games, not a good thing for a ten year old to practice taking head shots, and this could potentially lead to mental health issues, better safe than sorry I say. It's unlikely that this could "lead" to mental health issues, but I accept that it could exacerbate existing issues. Maybe it's better to NOT know when your kid has problems, is that the message here?
  • After all it was once within our constitutional rights to own and enslave other human beings. That's debatable. It's certainly a non sequitur and race baiting.
  • I believe in the 2nd Amendment and our right to bear arms but, if we continue to do nothing on the issue (mainly a mental health one) of mass shootings then we can expect more of them in the near future. When has the NRA advocated doing "nothing"?
  • Remember that when you kiss your kids goodbye on their way to school. [i]Classic break-out-the-violins closing argument. "It's for the children!"

Thanks for the heads up. I know who not to vote for.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:51 PM   #7
zxcvbob

I've been a NRA member for about 10 years and have *never* received a ballot. Who do I need to talk to? Thanks.
Old January 20, 2014, 05:29 PM   #8
RangerHAAF

Voting members fall within the 5 year, Lifetime member and above levels? Do you fall within those categories?
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member

Last edited by RangerHAAF; January 20, 2014 at 05:36 PM.