The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 27, 2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Aethir

What the hell is this thing??

856710_496980123697865_607903617_o.jpg

Someone posted this pic on Facebook earlier today, and it has me absolutely stumped. Can anyone tell me what caliber(s) those shells are, and who makes that insane over/under revolver on the left?
Old February 27, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Stukaman

What the hell is this thing??

They look like computer generated toys the lines are to smooth and without reflection to be real.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, very well done computer renderings. Not the real deal.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Red Dog

Got the weapons for my next movie where I kill all bad guys and zombies of course.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Newton24b

its a cgi photo, cant you tell? theres like 5 different things that tell me that. first of all is that its a bad intrepetration of "vash the human typhoons" guns from the trigun manga..
Old March 1, 2013, 12:30 AM   #6
tahunua001

I agree with the rest, this is an animated, 3d representation of concept designs. the lighting is slightly wrong.

note that the way the light hits both cylinders and the bayonet all comes from different directions while black surfaces all absorb light rather than reflect as metal would. very well done and interesting concepts to be sure but nothing that exists in real life i'm afraid.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

"note that the way the light hits both cylinders and the bayonet all comes from different directions"

Well, if you're actually trying to photograph something as complex as a firearm, you do a LOT better with multiple light sources than a single light source coming from one direction.

That way you don't have hard shadows and you can reduce glare by using softer lights instead of one very bright one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.