The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
dougbull

rossi revolvers trash

I bought rossi 357 snub 461 in jan. I might have a 100 rds through it. It just BROKE on me out at the range. Firing pin on hammer snapped clean off. Now i have to send it to the factory. I had a lot of rossi guns back in the day no problems. Now this when i get it back iam selling
Old April 7, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
madmo44mag

Sorry to hear that. I have an old rossi interarms 44spl. that's never given a problem even when loaded close to mag specs.
I don't know if I'd get ride of it till I was sure it was just not a bad firing pin.
I have seen the same thing happen on far more expensive guns.

Just my 2 penny's worth
Old April 7, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Rossi/Taurus junk---avoid at all costs

If you think you got a good one---even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then----more power to ya.
-------Metallica
Old April 7, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
m.p.driver

Had Rossi's,Taurus's,Astra's and never had any problems with any of them.Had a Colt Gold Cup that i was lucky if it made it through a magazine 100%.Had a Colt magnum carry that the barrel screwed off as i fired it.Had a S&W 645 that the firing pin broke at 30 rounds.Had a Ruger mk11 that brand new the rear dovetail was so out of proportion that on firing the sight slid off into the dirt.To call the entire companies junk or trash would mean that i would never have bought another firearm.At one time Glocks were considered garbage.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
protectedbyglock

Glocks?!
Ok, now you're just making stuff up.

Seriously, though, I've often wondered about Rossi.
I've looked at a couple, and heard good things and horrible things about them.
Any gun can break, no doubt (well, except for glocks, of course).
To the op, i'd give it a second chance but I know how you feel. Especially if you heard bad things and then bought one anyway. (I've done that)
Old April 7, 2009, 08:01 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Both Rossi and Taurus (now the same company) have had quality control problems. Some will be fine and give good service. Others will be trouble from day one.

However, breaking a hammer-mounted firing pin has not been unknown with Colt and S&W. It is not common with any make, and it is not a good reason to get rid of a gun that is otherwise all right.

Jim
Old April 7, 2009, 08:25 PM   #7
TMackey

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=331356

Maybe you could try S&W's cs.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Jim March

Quote:
Had a Colt magnum carry
...which was made at pretty much the all-time rock-bottom level of Colt's quality control, in their entire history.

Even SAAs were blowing chunks around then, which is why USFA in particular had the opportunity to blow their doors off.

Colt QC has *almost* caught back up to USFA in single actions so if they re-introduce the Magnum Carry today there's a good chance it would work well.

Anyways. I'm firmly in the "don't buy Rossi/Taurus" camp. They're just...not good guns. You can't always trust the metallurgy...and that is damned near the WORST thing I could ever say about a gun.

You can trust Ruger's metallurgy, 100%. When they do screw up, which isn't as common as the Brazilians, it's a machining error rather than metallurgy. Freedom Arms revolvers are the best on the planet, all cast by Ruger (at their Pine Tree Castings division) and then machined at Freedom Arms to higher tolerances than Ruger does. So you pay three times as much...but on the flipside, basic reliability of the metal in a Ruger is the same as a Freedom Arms (or Magnum Research BFR or any number of other companies).
Old April 7, 2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Lolgasm

I trust the reliability of my Taurus. I know that when I pull the trigger it goes bang every time and i dont have to worry about it otherwise. My only complaint is the long distance that the trigger has to travel to release the hammer, because it kind of pinches my finger a bit when i fire it, otherwise its flawless and the action is pretty smooth. I would buy a Rossi tomorrow if I could(I want a 357 snub for carry rather then a 38)
Old April 7, 2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Laker

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope you get them resolved. As was stated before, get it fixed and give it another chance. I'm sure you can easily find people who have had problems with every manufacturer there is. The bashing of any company is common on the internet and I prefer not to buy into it. I have positive experience with several of the popular brands to bash and couldn't be happier with them.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:51 PM   #11
pabst_20

I have a rossi snub nose in 38 special and it was my grandfathers backup gun on the police force gun is at least 50 years old and i shot it regularly with no problems what-so-ever. u just got a lemon i carry it once in a while and i would trust it with my life.
Old April 9, 2009, 06:04 AM   #12
Dave Chuppa

The Gun Shop I work at has sent all makes in for repairs. At the present we have sent more Kahr Pistols for repair than any other. From very high Dollar Shot Guns to you name it you have a breakdown now and then.
Old April 9, 2009, 07:27 AM   #13
Tom2

I have had Colt issues too, with revolvers, not 1911's. And what about those Rugers revolvers that were blowing the barrels off-weren't they Redhawks or something? someone posted a picture of theirs with the barrel snapped off clean. Metallurgy or machining? I had a Taurus once. QC trouble. It had a machine defect but functionally it was perfect, just would not shoot straight. Of course I did not pursue any sort of warr. claim at the time, but that was 25+ years ago.
Old April 9, 2009, 07:35 AM   #14
ninjatoth

462 snub

i have a stainless rossi 462 snub with about 300 rounds through it,mostly .357s,and have had no problems
Old April 9, 2009, 07:39 AM   #15
ninjatoth

seeing that this is a .357 magnum,and will blow your pin clean off,youve got to ask yourself one question,"do i feel lucky buying a rossi"well do ya,punk
Old April 9, 2009, 07:55 AM   #16
Lolgasm

But that was a 44 mag and the question was whether he fired four or five shots, and he was out of ammo.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:02 AM   #17
Piper Cub

I don't really care either way with Rossi or Tauarus for that matter. I do notice it is always the some people or some new be who complains.
Taurus does have a web board where you might get better replys.
Found one

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=4908.0

bull - Remember not to dry fire guns with hammer firing pins a whole bunch.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:20 AM   #18
tokarev762

"I had a lot of rossi guns back in the day no problems. Now this when i get it back iam selling"

One problem with ONE gun and you now call all of them trash? WoW! Hope you don't ever have a problem with a woman.

Then again, I ate at a Sonic the 1st time when I was 14 years old and was violently sick for 3 days. For 35 years now, I won't even watch or listen to one of thier advertisments.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:39 AM   #19
azredhawk44

Probably cheaper and faster to get a local gunsmith to replace the hammer mounted firing pin, than to send to Rossi customer service.

I hate cheap (not inexpensive... cheap) guns... but this doesn't sound like it is a reason to get rid of this Rossi. Fix it and give it another try.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:17 AM   #20
Jim March

Quote:
And what about those Rugers revolvers that were blowing the barrels off-weren't they Redhawks or something? someone posted a picture of theirs with the barrel snapped off clean. Metallurgy or machining?
Actually, that was a REALLY weird situation: bad lube on the barrel threads.

One story is that they lubed a batch of barrels on a Friday, installed 'em Monday, meanwhile the lube tried and the barrels were over-torqued. VERY few guns were affected.
Old April 10, 2009, 06:43 PM   #21
Dirk Pitt

Apparantly hammer mounted firing pins are a weak spot on newer(post interamrs) Rossi revolvers. I agree with whoever posted about just getting your local smith to replace the pin. My Rossi pin was replaced right before I got the gun, and he used a S&W pin, cost $30. Probable costs at least that much in shipping and waiting for a warranty repair, and if you have it fixed local, you can have the smith make sure the pin is right the first time. Bob.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:12 PM   #22
Elvishead

Quote:
Dirk Pitt:

Apparantly hammer mounted firing pins are a weak spot on newer(post interamrs) Rossi revolvers. I agree with whoever posted about just getting your local smith to replace the pin. My Rossi pin was replaced right before I got the gun, and he used a S&W pin, cost $30. Probable costs at least that much in shipping and waiting for a warranty repair, and if you have it fixed local, you can have the smith make sure the pin is right the first time. Bob.
From what I understand, the Rossi revolvers are direct copies (per-say) of S&W's.

So, that makes sense.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Rammed

I had a Rossi 462 stainless 357 mag. Brand new. It locked up after about 20 rds of 38 special. Sent it in for repair. Firing pin broke when I got it back. Didn't even shoot a full box of ammo got two failures. Sold it an got a Smith.
Old April 12, 2009, 02:36 PM   #24
shinerjohn

Me too!

I bought a Rossi 462 SS 357 snub less than 1 year ago. After a couple hundred rounds, the firing pin broke. Sent it in for their fantastic warranty repair. Cost me $68.XX overnight freight on a $269 gun. When I got it back, the firing pin broke after 24 rounds. I called and they paid the freight. It was gone another 6-8 weeks. I've fired 88 rounds in it since. My gunsmith looked at it and said the hammer nose was hitting on the bottom of the firing pin channel. He looked at it before the last breakage and it was hitting on the top of the channel. I'll do one of 2 things. I'll either trade it for a Ruger or S&W or I'll shoot the crap out of it until it breaks again. When it breaks again, I'll ask for a brand new gun. This is pretty ridiculous. This was to be my truck gun. Can you imagine needing it, reaching for it, pointing and pulling the trigger and it just goes click? This has been an extremely frustrating experience for me.
Old April 12, 2009, 02:49 PM   #25
luvsasmith

To the OP...

How much do you want for it?