The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 24, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
1Hobie

S&W Sport

I don't know how the Sport, an entry level AR, can be compared to rifles that are twice it's price. Not to say it can't carry the day but....

The Sport is an entry level rifle. I don't think that S&W ever intended otherwise. For me, it is the best thing I could of ever got my hands on. Am I crawling around in the crud, am I trying to use it as a front-line weapon? No. It's my first AR. Sport is what i want it for. Sitting out at the range, in a covered bench area, trying to get as small as a group as I can. Am I a wanna be mall ninja? No. I like to shoot and have fun in my own way.

I think it's somewhat ludicrious to try to compare a base level device, no matter what it "sports" to something that is much more tricked out.

All the discussions that are raging out there pertaining to my above observations truly seem to be a waste of time as far as having any relevance to the real world as we know it.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2
ripnbst

You talk about a waste of time and yet you start a new thread to tell them they are wasting time?

Makes no sense to me...
Old September 24, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
1Hobie

Well, I guess you're right. As a matter of fact I truly appreciate the effort it took for you to point that out. I shall endeavour in the future to elucidate my inclinations in a more succinct manner. To the point. Eye on the prize....

To be Redundant is bordering on the need of mundain obtuse observations that come back to annoy us.. again and again...circuitous perhaps

Last edited by 1Hobie; September 24, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Strafer Gott

Allow me.

Why another thread? obviously it's not clear in everyone's mind how a Colt compares to a Smith, along with a host of me too's that can't use metallurgy, product improvement, quality control, or the test of time in a sentence about their brand favorite without looking sideways.
Thanks for asking!
Old September 25, 2012, 03:38 PM   #5
BillyJack3

I'm so lost right now...
Old September 25, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Pointless thread is pointless.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7
1Hobie

Okay, you've convinced me that just posting an opinion is an aggregious mistake.
Gee, this keeps up and this forum will start having mods closing threads just because it's been stated before.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Strafer Gott

Do the Horsey dance, and you'll be fine. Colt. Time Tested. GI approved.
Even though they lost the bid, they must be built just like Colt would.
Colt, beloved by fat GI's and ex GI's the world over, ladies.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Gee, this keeps up and this forum will start having mods closing threads just because it's been stated before.
They do that all the time.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:03 PM   #10
1Hobie

You know, what I was trying to say is I don't understand why there is even a comparison trying be made between the two and the sometimes heated discussions about what's best. However, this is a trend that continues and even has now spilled over into this forum.

I own a Sport and I enjoy shooting it casually and I re-load for it. I bought it to enter into the AR venue. The only requirements I have for it is that it shoots straight and works well. It has not let me down. I probably will buy a top level AR in my future. A Colt would be a nice addition at not a substantial increase in price over my Sport but it isn't high on my lists of priorities.

What amazed me is the piling on about my post basically being stupid when it's obvious you didn't truly read and understand what I posted. My post was, in part, in regard to another TFL thread that linked to an Arfcom thread that turned into a 8 page(at last count)bash fest as well as others beside that. I don't understand the animosity.

Frankly, I don't give a flying fig about this vs. that except for what might affect me adversely. I read much more than I post and I make my decisions for what I own based on my research and asking questions, not being told to do the "horsey dance". Really??

I think the posts that followed my OP weren't in the best interest of anybody and actually became redundant themselves. How many of you does it take to tell me I'm stupid? Maybe I was being redundant, but that wasn't my intention.

I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and I expect that the responses, if any, will live down to my expectations.

Last edited by 1Hobie; September 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM.