The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 4, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
CCCLVII

Advise on the gun for the next deer hunt.

I am going to some extended family private land here in Idaho to take a mule deer. The hunt will be during the close range hunt so I can use a Handgun (has to be chambered in a straight wall none rifle caliber, so no 30-06 contenders) or Black powder or archery.

The law allows a shotgun but the land owner does not (I would love to use my 870 slug gun but the land owner has a problem with shotguns... Its a long story I would rather not get in to)

I have a black powder rifle but to be honest I am not that good with it but I could practice. I have a cross bow that is 100% legal during this season and I have several hand guns unfortunately most are 9mms... I do have a 357 colt with a 6 inch barrel that I am considering using.

I still have about a month so I have some time to practice.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

To know the brand and caliber of your B/P rifle would help. Knowing that information alone would give many of us a chance to offer helpful suggestions. Your 6" Colt would be sufficient at close range with a 158 gr. average store bought bullet. But, I suspect there wouldn't be much room for error. As your aim should be >Spot On. Mullies are indeed a BIG animal.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Deja vu

I would try the crossbow... Its just different and would be fun to try.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #4
farmerboy

BP rifle. You're not very good with it? They're just like any other rifle. Just keep on sights and squeeze trigger. You'll have to find a bullet and play with charge and see what your gun likes. But that will be fun too
Old September 5, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
shortwave

Quote:
To know the brand and caliber of your B/P rifle would help. Knowing that information alone would give many of us a chance to offer helpful suggestions.
+1

Too, many states have a legal 'minimum' caliber on big game hunting with B/P's.

Out of the weapons you have to pick from, depending on your B/P rifle, this is what I'd choose.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Hansam

I'm going to go against what others have said so far and suggest using the .357 mag.

Many deer have been successfully taken with a .357mag revolver. If the distances are as you said - close enough for a handgun - then use it. Less weight, not as clumsy in the brush and it packs enough power to make the kill so long as you put the shot where it needs to be.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Edward429451

I second the 357 Mag. I suggest 180 gr loads. It sounds as if you may be the best with it vs the BP rifle so it may be the best choice.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

Pennsylvania allows muzzle-loaders to be used for "shotgun only" zones. Fraction of the recoil of a slug gun but just as lethal.

I often hunt with my crossbow from an API climbing treestand. My shots are typically 25 yards or closer.

Good hunting to you!
Jack

Old September 6, 2012, 09:24 AM   #9
CCCLVII

sorry guys I don't do a lot of internet. my black powder is a Remington ML700 its 50caliber.

The reason I am not as good with it is just lack of practice. I have probably only shot 10 rounds through it since I bought it.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
my black powder is a Remington ML700 its 50caliber.
Just so happen to have one of thoughs....

...and the thing I like about it is it will shoot the easy loading 245grn Power Belt boolits with 90grns. American Pioneer loose powder very accurate out to about 110yds.

You may try this load for starters in yours.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:20 AM   #11
CCCLVII

SO I tried that load. I am actually surprised how accurate it is. I think I have found my short range weapon for this year. Now for the hard part... waiting 1 more week.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:24 AM   #12
jimbob86

That's one more week to practice!
Old September 10, 2012, 10:37 AM   #13
CCCLVII

you would think that... but I am working a lot of hours this week to make up for loosing next week. Im sure ill still practice a lot this week. I am very excited and and lots of powder and lead to practice with.... then there is always this week end (the hunt opens on Monday)
Old September 10, 2012, 10:41 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
you would think that... but I am working a lot of hours this week to make up for loosing next week.
Time .... there is never enough.

Good luck!
Old September 10, 2012, 12:48 PM   #15
shortwave

Quote:
I am actually surprised how accurate it is.
With practice, you can drive tacks with them. Their downside is they are more difficult to tear down and cleean then some other brands of inlines. But as far as accuracy, it will stand tall with my Encore,CVA and both Knights out to 125yds.

Are you using a #11 percussion cap?

If you are, you may not want to use the powder pellets. Three of the same mod. rifle had trouble shooting the pellets with the stock nipple.

One more thing I've found with the Powerbelt boolits, much more than 100grns. of powder, you will probably see your accuracy start to fade. That's been my experience with them anyways.