The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 24, 2012, 05:06 PM   #26
Wyoredman

I mostly hunt mule deer with Binoculars and a spotting scope. Get up on the high points and find the bucks in the sage then figure a way to get within range.
Sometimes this means driving to the next drainage, then a sneak over the ridge, if the wind is right.
Sometimes, we drive up to a large bowl and roll rocks down the hill. It always surprises me when a deer gets out of the brush just 100 yards below after we have been rolling rocks for ten minutes!
Old July 25, 2012, 10:36 AM   #27
rickyrick

I just stick to pigs and varmint. You get all of the fun of shooting and a hunting type experience with negligible cost. If you can become trusted by a small farmer or rancher you can do it for free. I don't know how to go about befriending a property owner lol, mine were my friends before I ever started hunting. The hunting began as attempting to remove raccoons as a favor. My skills as a shooter was th impetus. I knew nothing about raccoons or raccoon hunting, boy! Did I learn quick! Lol. Now as few year later I do pigs and coyotes, ect. On a couple of places. I help with feeding and watering these places too. Deer hunters at the same places get charged lol.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:10 PM   #28
JerryM

Whether in the open country or woods I always preferred to hunt on the ground and stalk.
I never considered being in a high fancy blind over a food plot hunting, but just shooting. Not much skill there but just making the shot. I realize in thick brush your chances of getting a shot are sometimes small, but that is what hunting is about for me.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 25, 2012, 04:43 PM   #29
ZeroJunk

I have about 1700 acres that I would like to see somebody still hunt. Ninety percent of it you couldn't see a deer if it was 20 feet away from you. Deer love it in there. Lots of briars and honey suckle. Occassionally one will poke his head out and you can shoot him either on a field or one of the drainages that wasn't timbered. Or you can sit on a trail with a bow and clear out enough for maybe a 20 or 30 yard shot. But, still hunting? Wrong world.
Old July 25, 2012, 07:32 PM   #30
Gunplummer

I agree, the terrain dictates how I hunt. Some areas are just impossible to sneak around in because of noise, terrain, wind currents. Sometimes I hunt outback off a rickity ladder stand I built in our fence row. If I am sitting in the middle of a circle, I can only shoot in 1/4 of that circle, yet I have had really good luck there. Sometimes you must go where they are.
Old July 25, 2012, 08:48 PM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Terrain and vegetation dictate how one hunts. Maw Nature has a lot to say in that matter.

A lot of the south Texas "brasada"--the brush country--south of US 90 is a lot like a pool table covered with mesquite, catclaw and cactus. Sneaky-snaking in that stuff works well--for a snake. OTOH, walking hunting for mule deer in west Texas is productive. And, for whitetail in the Hill Country of central Texas. But all of that is different from the swampy river bottom along the Appalachicola in Florida.
Old July 26, 2012, 03:14 PM   #32
sc928porsche

No canned hunts for me. My hunting is done on public property and it always involves camping with friends and relatives. No tree stands, manufactured blinds, or bait either. The only exception to that is birds. Those are hunted on private property and sometimes from a blind.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Canned hunts are illegal, most states.

Generally, I won't go hunting in country where some sort of stand is near-mandatory. Don't like them. But, if I'm in that sort of area and somebody says, "Hey, let's go hunting!"? Guess what. I see it as rude, crude and impolite to not go with the local program.

I've always figured that BSing around the evening campfire is the main deal in any style of messing with Bambi.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:10 PM   #34
Beentown71

Bow only.

Usually from a stand or blind. Spot and stalk or still hunting is the most rewarding but sometimes near impossible to pull of. Great for city deer.

Shotgun comes out for waterfowl and that is about it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old August 10, 2012, 04:25 AM   #35
bamaranger

still going

I bowhunt deer, whitetails, and have never traveled to do it. I'm a bowhunter first, but do kill some with a rifle, especially if the season is slow. AL archery deer season is over 100 days long, and most areas are 2 deer a day. Some years I run out of freezer space, other years, I work hard just to kill 1. I'll get 40 -50 hunts in a season. Most years I pass more shots than I take. I miss a few too. Last year I hunted like a maniac, missed one and killed one w/ a bow, and missed a dandy (twice!) running a doe, with a rifle!

I live very close to a near 50,00 acre public land tract, that allows bow hunting the entire season. and I bowhunt it alot. It has limited gun hunting. Once the gun season comes in, I rarely see another bow hunter, and have never had a conflict with hunting pressure on the WMA bow season, as most guys switch to rifles and hunt elsewhere. And I do not hunt the food plots as most of the other bow- only guys do. It gives me trouble free hunting and I love it.

I bow hunt soley from treestands, climbers mostly. A "put up" stand is a bunch of work and noise, and leaves scent everywhere. I "put up" a few, but not many. I'm still healthy and able enough to hike and climb, and hope to do it for a while longer. I don't miind humping the stand in and out. Sometimes I will put a climber on a tree and leave it if the spot is really back in the woods. I have never lost a stand, nor had indication anybody hunted a stand I'd left, in over 20 yrs.

I do belong to a club or lease as well, about 3000 acres. It has food plots and some shooting houses, and that's good for the bamaboy or me in really bad weather. To keep the lease, we have had to bring on more and more guys,and its gotten kind of crowded, but I keep my membership up. Ya gotta hunt when you can and the plots and houses give me an option (with a firearm).

I an a fanatical spring gobbler hunter. Lord spare me, but if I had to choose only one, I would hang up my deer bow and hunt turkeys in the spring with a shotgun. Al gpbbler season lasts 30-45 days depending on your zone. I had the best season a guy could have last spring with bamaboy killing his first two. I didn't so so bad myself. I will spare all further.

Your hog stories/fees are interesting. I some day hope to go on a paid hog/turkey hunt, in TX with a good friend, if we are still able bodied and can afford it.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:29 PM   #36
lwb

About all of my hunting anymore consists of a very slow walk through the woods for deer or squirrel either one.My legs wont let me go very fast or very far,but it is better than setting and have them knot up on me.I have to be out,told the wife Iwill qiut hunting when Im in the ground.
Old August 16, 2012, 08:39 PM   #37
old roper

Wife and I plan on entire archery season here which is 30 days and were leaving this coming tues get camp set up and little scouting and be set for opening day on the 25th. On our last trip we seen some bulls high and some cows low 7500ft and some of the drainage have water and good feed.

I also drew rifle season cow elk tag/buck tag Nov 3-11th and I''ll be same units as archery and those 30 days if season last that long get me in better shape for rifle season.

I didn't have elk archery tag last year and I got into elk 3rd day of season and wife got into them week later she got within 60yds good experience for her so she been working on her calling and few other things. She also decide after archery last year no more rifle hunting likes the warmer weather me I'd never give up the rifle.

I'm lucky at 70 and still able to get up around timber line and hunt like I want and it just takes me little long to get places and may have to take extra trip packing meat out but that's what it's all about.
NRA Life Member
Old August 16, 2012, 09:47 PM   #38
fatwhiteboy

I like hunting the big open areas out West. Mountains, rolling sage and oak covered hills, the desert. It is where I learned to hunt and with what I compare everything else...
Old August 16, 2012, 10:53 PM   #39
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The State has restrictions. I hunt within those boundaries. Our season here is 2-weeks and three weekends long. I'm up in the early AM before day light and let the weather guide my day. Rainy day. I sit comfortably in a enclosed heated stand. Sunny day. You might see me sitting motionless on a blow over back in the woods. I don't consider myself a serious hunter. I find it more entertaining just observing Mother Nature. When it comes to harvesting deer. I'm just lucky I guess from year to year._
Old August 17, 2012, 02:41 PM   #40
Legionnaire

Favorite? Archery hunting from a climbing stand on private land in the northeast, hardwoods adjacent to cultivated fields.

But any day out is a good one.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:32 PM   #41
DennisCA

Preferred method

I usually go with the "tred barta method" (before he got sick and couldn't walk):

Stalk & Spook!
Old August 17, 2012, 04:33 PM   #42
WV_gunner

I like sneaking around the woods. It works decently. I don't like to sit and wait for too long.
I hunt only where it's free. Usually on AEP owned land. My dad has a lease on a place though too.
Old August 17, 2012, 04:57 PM   #43
Mayor Al

A Tangent inquiry....costs

As the original poster, I don't feel too bad about adding a related question to this discussion. What does it cost you for whatever licenses and permits you must have to hunt, and specifically to Deer Hunt where you coose to Hunt. I am not asking about private land fees or ammo/lodging etc. All I want to know is what does the State where you choose to hunt charge for the papers that make it legal, and what do you get for those fees?

Here in Indiana they "Bundle" the License and deer tags for a resident license fee of $64.00. That gives you one Buck and two Does. You can then purchase additional doe tags for $24.00 for the first extra Doe, and $15.00 for number 2-8 additional does. The number of extra tags is set by the deer census of the various counties in the state. The two that I will hunt has a surplus of does, so I can buy 8 additional doe tags for me and the same for the wife. That would give us the possible total of two Bucks and 20 does taken legally between the two of us. Total costs for the licenses would be $416, IF we BUY all the extra Doe Tags !! There is a two week gun period in late November and another gun week between Christmas and New Years. BUT with the bundle you can use the tags in Bow and muzzleloader periods too if you use the correct weapon for the season.

We have printed the agreement for hunting on other folks properties. I have verbal permission, but the State has a form that both parties sign that protects both of us in the event of a problem.

Lots of other costs to consider, but this is what it takes to hunt in southern Indiana. What about your State?
Old August 17, 2012, 07:36 PM   #44
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Asked to be more specific by this OP

MN. RESIDENT LICENSES:

Deer -Firearms (age 18 and over) - $26
Deer -Muzzleloader (age 18 or over) - $26
Deer -Bonus Permit - $14
Senior Citizen Small Game (age 65 or over) - $12.50**{(Includes a $6.50 surcharge. This $6.50 surcharge is being paid by hunters for the acquisition and development of wildlife lands.)

At $78.50 a year for 3 deer (could take up to 5 total I think >but don't) a reasonable number of partridge, grouse, and snow shoe rabbits. I don't duck, goose, turkey, or pheasant hunt anymore. Legs don't handle those big bird hunts well these days.
Those fee's I pay {above} to fill my freezer are pretty reasonable I think for some mighty good taste'en fair._ All I have to do is find time to get up to our cabin. Being retired and as we retiree's are known to be so busy all the time. I think I can find that time when I need too._
Old August 17, 2012, 08:30 PM   #45
old roper

Lets see Co resident

Draw elk $49.00 each tag A/B/C
OTC $46.00 each tag A/B/C

Antelope/Deer $34.00 each tag A/B/C

Elk/Deer/Antelope you can only have one A tag and one B tag and we have what's call a C tag some of those are what's call Plains tag which is east of I-25 mostly private land.

My elk tags are $95. deer $34 same for antelope so those 4 tag cost $173. Senior get free fishing license so small game plus extra rod stamp $27.00

The C tag also covers Game Damage, Special Population or Disease Management license,Replacement licenses for CWD,TIP's Reward program,Youth Outreach program,Auction/Raffle license,Ranching for Wildlife License reserved for youth or Hunters with Mobility Impairment., list goes on
NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2012, 07:33 AM   #46
Mayor Al

ADD to my Indiana List... Anyone born before October 1943 (that includes me) does not need a fishing license or Trout or Salmon Stamps. You need a Drivers license to prove age and resident status. You can buy a "Voluntairy Fishing License" for $3.00 if you want one,,,or in case you're fishing in Lake Michigan and run across one of those Pirates from IL or Mich.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:01 AM   #47
Dogjaw

Michigan U.P. in national forest. Here's our 15' x 24' portable plywood cabin with attached outhouse/shower, carpeted floor, propane heat with hot water heater, appartment sized stove, and the kithen sink. It sleeps 8.

3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old August 18, 2012, 06:35 PM   #48
North East Redneck

massachusetts hunting fees

Resident Hunting- $27.50
That gets you two antlered deer tags.
Archery stamp add $5.10
Primitive Arms add $5.10
I think that the bear and turkey permits are $5.00 each.
You have to apply for a lottery to get a doe permit.
After the lottery, left over doe permits may purchased for $5.00, same cost as original lottery.
The reason for the lottery is that different zones in the state have different allotments of doe permits.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:04 PM   #49
Mayor Al

N E Redneck

I guess Indiana is overrun with Does. Most of the counties are allowing 5-8 Doe Permits to be added to the normal One Buck and Two Does that come with the combined hunting license fees. No Lottery involved.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:09 PM   #50
Mayor Al

Regular Hunting and Deer Hunting License are purchased together in Indiana. That gets you one Buck and Two Does total during the gun-bow-muzzleloader seasons for $64.00. Then, depending on the county you can buy additional Doe Tags, $24 for the first one and $15 each for up to a total of EIGHT, depending on the county where you hunt. No Lottery, just go to a license agency and buy'em up.