The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Pestman

Accurate 7 for .38 special

To be honest I am just trying to use up the rest of the Accurate NO 7 that I have left. I have a little less than a pound left. I shoot a lot of 38 special out of my Ruger GP100. I originally bought NO 7 for .45 when I first started reloading and I find it way to hot. I did not know any better at the time. Anyway I find it really hard to find load data for 38 special. I have Berry plated bullets in either 125 grain or 158 grain. Any suggestions?? I have used Number 7 in .357 magnum and it seemed fine but accuracy wasnt all that great.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:34 PM   #2
dwhite

AA#7 is in the same power range as BlueDot. It performs best with hotter loads.

If you ONLY have 38 Special cases and ONLY use them in the GP100 you could load a mid-range .357 Magnum charge in them with the 158 grain bullets but absolutely don't run them through a 38 Special revolver. It will probably spontaneously dis-assemble. If you have 357 cases just load mid-range loads with it.

In 38 special loadings it's going to leave a LOT of unburned powder. Probably leave pretty big groups. I tried BlueDot in 38 Special once. Never tried it again

All the Best,
D. White
Old October 16, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Pestman

That is funny you said that about Blue Dot. I used Blue Dot in 38 special once and the gun was a complete mess! Unburned flakes all over the place. I do have .357 brass so maybe I'll just use the No 7 for .357. Thanks!