The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2015, 03:52 PM   #51
Bart B.

I degrease sized cases before priming, powdering and bulleting them. I don't want to get case lube on anything after it's washed off clean cases. Things are much cleaner to handle that way.
Old January 6, 2015, 04:13 PM   #52
Colorado Redneck

Bart---do you tumble them to do that or wash the brass? That one time was enough for me--not only the media in flash holes but it made the media in the tumbler kinda greasy feeling. RCBS case lube---and at that time was rolling the brass on the lube pad. Now just take a bit of lube on the old fingers, rub a small amount over the case and presto! Lots less to clean off. But still, just wiping off the lube is ok with me, and using a Q-Tip to wipe out the case neck.
Old January 6, 2015, 06:41 PM   #53
Bart B.

I put sized cases with lube on them in a coffee can half full of laquer thinner to almost full of cases. Snap the plastic lid on it, tape it to make the seal waterproof, then twist the can in all directions for a couple of minutes. That lets the cleaner get all over the case surfaces dissolving the lube. Then I drain the thinner back in its jug. Dump the wet, clean cases in a tube made of terry cloth towels, then shush it back and forth with both ends closed. That dries off the outside of the cases. Then I lay them out to air dry. Summertime on a towel in sunlight speeds up the process.

I don't like handling greasy cases to stuff them with primer, powder and bullet. A phobia I easily deal with. We all have a few of such things.
Old January 6, 2015, 07:00 PM   #54
Snyper

Quote:
Sport, ask the powder companies why too many whiskers can be removed that cause powder burning rates to change. They're the experts; I'm not but just passed on their message they gave me.
It's odd none of them mention it in the reloading manuals
Old January 8, 2015, 08:26 PM   #55
4runnerman

Colorado- Go to the pet store- Buy Lizzrd bedding. Very fine crushed walnut,does not get stuck in flash holes. Put 1 or 2 tbls car wax in and tumble. Never got the slimy media you are talking about
Old January 8, 2015, 08:37 PM   #56
skizzums

I also tumble after the sizing process. when I get brass. I spend a day or two resizing all at once, chamfering and taking out crimps if needed. it get a quick 30 minute tumble before resize, then a long 4hr or so tumble after lube/size