The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1
howabouttheiris

Self - test Games

This topic was a subtopic within the recently closed "MOA All Day" thread. I wanted to bring it back to let it have legs on it's own.

I have a small group that shoots "contests" every month. We come up with a simple contest every month and compete for bragging rights. What does everyone else do for self test games that may be different.

CONTEST: "Half MOA Dot Drill". 1 box (20 rnds) to start. 100 yards. 4 warmup/zero/etc, then 16 rounds only on 8.5"x11" paper at the following target. Break inner black solid circle for a pt. X for breaking the white dot bull. Good score IMHO is 12.

CONTEST: "Smack the Smiley" (shamelessly stolen from FrankenMauser)

CONTEST: "American MOA" (shamelessly stolen from Brian Pfleuger)

Shoot a baseball at 300 yards.

Last edited by howabouttheiris; January 8, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
howabouttheiris

Two different contests we have done, using 1 target. NOTE, we always use OnTarget to do all the measurements and totals.

CONTEST: Worst 5 shot group (of 4)

Any distance as scoring is in MOA. Shoot 4 five shot groups anywhere within the targets. Score is worst 5 shot group MOA. ANYONE can shoot good once, but can you shoot 4 in a row?

CONTEST: Sum of distance from center (200 yards)

Shoot 20 rounds (5 to each target). Score is total distance from center.

Old January 8, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I use the first and 3rd target often, the first for air gun at 15 yards and 22 at 25 yards. The 3rd target I like to use for draw and shoot drills at 8 to 15 yards but I never saw that second target before, I can see where that might make a grown man with old eyes and iron sights cry.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 8, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Scorch

Out here in the west, we have small interactive targets provided by the BLM at no charge. We take our 22s out and keep track of our hit percentage beyond 100 yds. Beyond 200 yds, scoring over 50% gives you bragging rights.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Metal god

This I one of my favs . Tic Tac Toe . For hand gun you just have to be inside the box . For 22lr @ 50yds you have to hit the X or the O . On a 11x8 sheet they are right around the size of a pencil eraser. You must call your shots as well .

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20038.pdf

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 8, 2013, 10:52 PM   #6
big al hunter

When my hunting buddies and I get together we blow up 2 balloons to about 6 inches in diameter. One of us takes them out into the middle of a clearcut, one about 100 yds and one between 200 and 300 yds. We take turns shooting at them until they are hit. The near balloon is pistols only, the far balloon is rifles. The person that placed the balloons shoots last, unfair advantage, no rangefinder allowed. Its fun, sometimes its for lunch sometimes for bragging rights.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Another one with the balloons is to tie them to a 12" or longer string and then tie or staple the end of the string to the top crosspiece on our target frames. I have frames set out at 25, 40, 50, 60 and 100 yards and you get to shoot while they are blowing around in the breeze. Makes a man humble, especially when you just did it with a pistol then you set them up again and try it with a rifle and can't get a hit. Makes a feller kind of humble.

It's easier if you put a little water in the balloons first which is what made the pistol shooting so easy.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 9, 2013, 03:22 PM   #8
rodfac

Scorch...gotta say that I miss harassing the ground squirrels around Spokane, back in the early 70's. I was stationed at Fairchild AFB, and soon found that the local wheat farmers hated the little devils. Picking them off with a scoped .22 lr was a pleasant afternoon's work, and later with a Sako .308 (the Forester mentioned in another post) and some home cast bullets made it good practice for the deer and elk seasons. I'm guessing that your comment about 'interactive tgts' on BLM land referred to the ground squirrel population or perhaps marmots at the higher elevations? Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Scorch

Rodfac
Yes, that's what I was referring to. The little fuzzies are great fun. I just love a couple of hours in the morning with a couple boxes of 22s and a field full of ground squirrels.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
B.L.E.

Half bullseyes are a fun target. Have the semicircle bullseyes in different orientations.
The 10X ring is just a fraction of an inch away from a zero score.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #11
howabouttheiris

"Half bullseyes"

I like it. Risk - reward.