The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2000, 02:12 PM   #1
Michael Priddy

I posted this on the rifle board, but it may be a relaoding problem.My shooting partner has a problem with his third shot. He is shooting a custom 280 ack. with a Douglas barrel and a pre 64 win action. His first two shots will almost be touching and the third one will be a little high and to the left or right about an inch. Some times it is the first shot that is high and the last two shots that are almost touching. He has never gotten this gun to shoot under an inch. If that odd shot was in the group, it would be shooting around a half minute. Does anyone have a cure for this disease? We have been reloading for years and never ran into this problem. Cold barrel or warm barrel does not seem to make a difference. Tom is a good shooter. He had a 243 ack group this morning about an inch at 300yds. We are stumped as to what to try next. Anyone have a suggestion? Mike P
Old September 4, 2000, 05:00 PM   #2
Big Bunny

No Mike - I feel it may be a rifle bedding problem and not reloading and IMHO the rifle should be checked by a gunsmith for all the screw tightening sequence, overall tightness and barrel freeness/bedding... IE especially when the big boomer heats up.... otherwise you have a "crook" barrel, but really when hunting how often do you fire over 2 shots that rapidly?
If rarely, then your buddy is in the clear and doesn't have to worry too much!

The best groups are 5 shots, have you tried that?

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old September 4, 2000, 10:07 PM   #3
swifter...

First thing I'd do is check the scope. If all the ring & mount screws are tight, try replacing it with another scope that you know is good, not a new unknown, and see what happens.
Next I'd check the bedding, glass bedding if it hadn't been done, and floating the barrel.
Action screws are tight, right? The center screw (if any) is just snug?
Finally, if I'd seen no improvement, I'd get it re-crowned.
It sounds like scope or bedding to me, tho. Good luck!

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...