The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
ArizonaArsenal

Sphinx AT .380 M

This is my first post to the forum, and wanted to see if anyone can help me on this particular gun. I recently acquired a Sphinx AT .380 M, and it was in pretty rough condition, cosmetically that is. It was not properly stored for the last 15+ years, and it ended up getting massive corrosion build up on the slide. Long story short I had slide polished, which turned out great, and isn't fully done yet, so be easy on me. It was purchases for my wife for her to start carrying.
I do have some questions tho and hopefully someone can help, which would be greatly appreciated. Since there is little to no information about these guns, and no replacement parts that I can find.

First off, anyone know where to get magazines from? And will the CZ 82/83 magazines work with this gun?
Where to get parts?

My main problem I am having right now, is the safety on the slide is loose and I am having a very hard time finding a replacement screw. For people who are familiar with this gun, hopefully will know what I am talking about. But there is a set screw, or so it appears, that holds the right side safety lever onto the other safety on other side. The set screw that holds the lever on has started stripping, which made the right side lever very loose. And it's so stripped now I can no longer get a Allen wrench, which I think is the tool used, to be able to remove the screw and replace. I should be able to find a set screw, but don't know.
Can anyone help me with this? Now how to remove a stripped set screw in a very tiny place? Where to get set screw? What size set screw? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Here is a pic of the gun
Old June 5, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
PSP

Quote:
First off, anyone know where to get magazines from? And will the CZ 82/83 magazines work with this gun?
Yes CZ83 mags will work, but they will extend out of the mag well, as they are longer by about 1/2"

Where to get parts?

You can get parts directly from Sphinx. Do a google search for Manuel Wipf. He is the gentleman that handles orders by email. He deals in cash only, so the search is to confirm that this is on the "up and up". Though he is Swiss, he accepts dollars.
[email protected]

If you have a manual, ask Manuel for new parts. If you have no manual then go here to get the parts numbers.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Though it has been a few years, I have dealt with Mr. Wipf personally, and he delivered parts quickly, considering the overseas travel time. Good luck.

Last edited by PSP; June 5, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:21 PM   #3
ArizonaArsenal

PSP-thank you so much for the reply. I really do appreciate it!!!! And the link to the manual was very beneficial, and again, thanks man. Has really helped. Still having a hard time figuring out exactly what part it is tho. Thinking the screw catch is what they call it, but could be marble? Idk, its so small, and still works, just extremely loose and bothers me.
But anyways, I emailed Manuel Wipf so hopefully he can help me further, and I have tried before to no avail, so hopefully will get a reply this time. But you helped alot with great links that I have been looking for regarding the parts manual. And I have tried, but great when others have resources readily available and known to them. So thanks for that, lol, can't say it enough. Haha
appreciation
Old June 5, 2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

I've dealt with Mr. Wipf -- and he is polite, helpful, and very knowledgeable. Happily, he's can communicate in English,too.

You can get some parts from Sphinx, but Swiss law won't let them send certain parts to the U.S. (The part you're missing shouldn't be restricted; magazines will be a problem. Been there, done that.)
Old June 5, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
MLeake

Walt, have you asked him for the specs on the mags? Maybe (if you wanted to deal with the cost) you could get some machined?
Old June 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Getting SPECS shouldn't be a problem. Switzerland has export restrictions on certain parts, including magazines. Sphinx has new importer here in the US, but I don't know how to contact them. (They are working primarily with the expensive "race guns" that Sphinx builds.)

Having magazines made would probably be way too expensive -- and other magazines can probably be made to work. You may be able to find some Sphinx mag on Gunbroker or similar auction sites.

Most of the small .380 pistols have magazines that are similar, and you may be able to find others that work or could be made to work. CDNN has had Sphinx mags, from time to time -- you just have to watch for them.

You can also take the gun with you to a gun show and try out some of the small magazines there. If the mag fits in the grip and locks in place and drops free when the mag release is pressed, it can probably be made to work. You can tell a lot by taking your mag with you and comparing them, too. The mag notch is a critical concern.

While Sphinx pistols are very fine weapons, I would argue against spending a lot of money (making mags) -- as that is a bottomless pit. There are other small .380 that are quite competent without being so costly.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; June 5, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
PSP

I found my mags by just watching the major auction sites and CDNN. The hardest to find are the 11 round mags, but the 10 rounders should pop-up from time to time.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

I missed the earlier comment that the CZ-82 and 83 mags would work, but be a bit long. That's an EASY solution. (And if you want to be a purist, you might be able to find a machinist or metal worker who could shorten one or two of those mags to deal with the cosmetic issue. Sphinx mags, as noted, do appear from time to time.

I'd get some CZ mags and keep my eyes open, in the meantime, and use THEM instead of the factory mag for range time. (Wolff now has springs for the CZ-82/CZ-83 mags, I'm told -- and that has been the problem with those mags: only used one available, and the springs often marginal.)

RE: the stripped set screw... See if you can find an "easy out" for that size screw. (They're also known as "screw extractors".) Some hardware stores would have them. If the end (where the allen wrench fits) is worn but still has some area to insert something into it, an Easy Out tool will dig into what remains of the opening and allow you to back the screw out.

(Easy out's are like drill bits,but done with a reverse twist: tightening them turn the screw in the direction needed to get it out. Harbor Freight has them, and the set shown here may have one small enough for the job. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...set-40349.html)

For something relatively delicate, you can use a set of vice grips on the end of the extractor, and slowing press down as you twist. It'll probably work.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; June 6, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old June 6, 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
ArizonaArsenal

The problem with the screw extractors is they won't fit, or the ones I have tried. The access hole for the set screw is very small, and just extremely difficult to get to. I have tried the smallest extractor I can find, but still to wide to fit into whole without damaging. but appreciate the advise.

I am at the point of just drilling out the screw to be able to remove safety, then finding the correct size screw to replace it. I think that is my only option right now, since I have tried everything else. It is just very difficult to gain access to the screw, hole is just alittle bigger then actual screw diameter. Need to take a pic of it to show, and maybe someone could give further advise.

Also, having a hard time reaching Mr. Wipf. So far have gotten a reply back in foreign language that I need to get translated. But appears to say that email didn't go thru, or invalid address.

Idk tho.

I think I may try a CZ 82 magazine, and like said, maybe machine or work the bottom to get flush with bottom. But if it will fit, catch and release properly. Will make great range mags. But steady I do have 1 magazine for now. And need to hit the gun show when it comes to town and see what someone may have.

Thanks everyone again. I really do like this gun. Paid a very good price for it, compared to what I have seen them go for. And it shoots amazing. Just love the overall feel of this gun, truly high craftsmanship. But like said, other fine .380 out there for cheaper that work good also. But these Sphinx .380 is a very finely made weapon, and has a great overall feel, and the.DAO trigger is great.
Old June 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

I'd talk with a local gunsmith (with a good reputation) about the problem before I'd try drilling out a screw. He may have a magical solution -- like getting to it from the other side, after a detail strip. He should have (or be able to make) replacement parts like that.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #11
ArizonaArsenal

I hear you on the gun Smith tho. Right now, ain't broke, don't fix it, kinda mentality. And would rather not do more harm then good "trying" to fix it myself. It works, it's just very loose, and makes the left safety lever not properly function correctly. Which does bother me personally. I like all my guns to function 100% the way they should. Especially being a gun that my wife is going to be using for protection.

I really need to get a pic of it tho. It is truly a hard to access piece. Only really 1 access point, since it doesn't have a firing pin plate, to be able to remove and access that area of the slide. It is an all in one type unit, with only one really access point, a small hole, to remove the set screw, which holds on the safety, which holds in the firing pin. So being able to remove the set screw for the safety lever is pretty crucial to gaining access to firing pin and components.

I am going to be taking it to a gun smith tho, and let them hopefully figure out how to remove and replace. But have a feeling they will be drilling out the screw also to be able to fix the problem. I am by no means a professional gun smith, but very mechanically inclined, and been working on my own guns for years. But just don't see any other way for it to be done. But again, that's why they are professional smiths and I'm not. Haha. Let the masters do what they do

Was just hoping someone would have the- ow ya, that happened to mine, and you just need to do..................?

Haha, probably not tho unfortunately

Thanks guys. And if anyone has any ideas, more then welcome to throw them in
Old November 26, 2012, 01:38 PM   #12
DealHunter

I'm acutually having an issue w. what I think might be some CZ-82/83 mags.

Got a At-380M used with manual and 2 mags but I don't think they're original (think they're CZ). Both JHP and FMJs seem to misfeed.jam from the mags consistantly.

Could they perhaps be mags from something other than a CZ (again, don't think they're Sphinx, don't "feel" the same as the rest of the gun)?