The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
keith81

rossi circuit judge (rifle) reloading help..

I recently got one if the Rossi circuit judge carbine.. I am wanting to do my own reloads but am looking for a good hunting load for the 45 long colt to shoot out of this gun.. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
Old October 8, 2012, 07:27 AM   #2
keith81

Surely someone has some advice or info for me!!
Old October 8, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Gdawgs

I would assume(but please check before proceding) that the Circuit Judge can handle more powerful loads than standard 45 Colt loads. So you can probably use the Ruger/TC loads found in reloading manuals. Get a decent jacketed hollow point(Hornady XTP for example) and a slower burning powder (H110/Winchester 296, 2400, Lil Gun, 4227, etc.) and use the starting loads. A 250ish grain bullet at 1,200ish fps is plenty for deer.

But again check to make sure you can use hotter loads in the.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Sevens

I've merely dabbled in .45 Colt, only plinking loads.

The first piece of advice that comes to mind is that you will need to stick to regular .45 Colt loads and don't toy with load data that specifically states for loads in T/C, Freedom Arms or Ruger revolvers as these are heavy .45 Colt loads that will not be safe for extended use in the Rossi Circuit Judge revolving rifle.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Gdawgs

That's what I wasn't sure on. If that's the case, disregard my first comment. They make the CJ in a 44 Mag model, so I figured the hotter 45 Colts may work. But without knowing for sure, it's best to stick with standard loads.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

For what it's worth I've seen a picture of a Judge with a blown cylinder from a reported slight overload--boy, those cylinder walls are almighty thin!! Circuit Judge is probably the same, don't have one to examine. I'd say be very, very careful with anything besides factory loads. GW
Old October 9, 2012, 04:50 AM   #7
keith81

Thanks for the input guys.. I dont plan on doing anything too hot of a load.. Just looking for something that would take down a deer in case my wife would happen to use this gun this year..
Old October 9, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Gdawgs

Then just use standard loads. Hodgdon's web site is excellent.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
I would probably use the 200 grain Horndady XTP so you can get a little more velocity. You can get 1,000-1,100 fps with that bullet. Plus you'll get a bit more with the longer barrel. That's plenty to take a deer at shorter ranges.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #9
snuffy

My take on the "circuit judge" is it can probably handle the stiffer loads. Like those called for when used in lever action rifles.

Consider this; Cor-bon loads are available for 45 colt that are really only made for really strong revolvers in 45 colt. There's always the possibility for someone buying the high pressure, +P cor-bon ammo, then firing it in a rossi judge or C-judge. Rossi could NOT sell something that would NOT stand up to the hottest ammo made for it.

http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORBON-Hunter/300/300/dept

I have a Rossi lever gun in 45 colt. According to what I have been able to find, it is rated for the Marlin and Winchester modern levergun loads.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

I've fired it with handloaded jacketed and my own cast lead boolit loads. Most were loaded to levergun load levels, it just gobbled them up and wanted more! It is a lot of fun to shoot, and is quite accurate.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 9, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Tom Matiska

Quote:
They make the CJ in a 44 Mag model, so I figured the hotter 45 Colts may work. But without knowing for sure, it's best to stick with standard loads.

Agreed. The frame may be the same, but the larger bore means thinner cylinder walls and more surface area for chamber pressure to act on. The 5 shot capacity puts the locking groove better spot, (44 is 6 shot), but I still wouldn't bet my fingers on it.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:31 AM   #11
UtopiaTexasG19

See if you can find the Circuit Judge Manual on line somewhere. My younger brother brought his out to my place a few months back and we looked up the maximum feet per second in his manual to see if it matched the 45 Colt bullets I had on hand. Sorry, I do not remember the exact figures.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Valerko

I have a same rifle. I don't hunt, just use it for plinking.
I've used Hodgdon Universal , but had to keep it on high end ,otherwise it felt like I was spitting bullets .
Old October 13, 2012, 12:38 AM   #13
Newton24b

velocity doesnt equal chamber pressure. please be aware of that.

the corbon issue, they tested a specific corbon +p offering in 45 colt in a single taurus judge. the only thing they did was measure the gun all over with a digital micrometer before and after firing a few hundred rounds. they did not find any changes in measurement.
i sadly admit it doesnt prove MUCH as to longevity. however the rossie circuit judge is not in the official taurus lineup and doesnt come with the taurus website/catalog of "+p proven"
Old November 12, 2012, 06:18 PM   #14
keith81

Been a while since last checked this posting... I have a local guy who fies reloads he loaded me up some shells for the circuit judge.. I spent the biggest part of this past Saturday shooting the gun... and to my dismay I was kind of disgusted ag the accuracy of this little investment.. It was grouping awesome in the 20-30 yrd range but any farther than that and the bullets were flying every which way... Does anyone else have this gun or know of anyone who does... would like to know if anyone has had the same problem with this gun...
Thanks