The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 16, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
40frog

Went from first gun last month to first rifle this week..

Ok so just as they all told me over in the handgun forum, I went out and got an inexpensive rifle this week for the range. I got a mossberg 702 plinkster because at least I can afford the ammo LOL

Just wanted something to have some fun shooting with and get more target practice. Got it on tuesday night but will try to shoot it this weekend if I can find ammo, none anywhere near me. So anyway just wanted to post on here and keep trying to learn more. so far the forums have been a great read and very informational and btw I did a search for the rifle and found mostly good reviews for the price and for my intentions with it.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
delsol

Congratulations on your new rifle, I picked a Savage Arms 64 a few weeks ago both are low end rifles. I put a scope & a bi-pod on it and took to the range and just had a ball with it. 75 to 100 yards it was dead on the target.
I would be interested Herein what you think of your rifle after taking it to the range?
Old May 16, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Welcome!

One thing for sure, a .22 rifle is the least costly way to move up the learning curve. And away from work on paper targets, there are beaucoup tin cans and suchlike for plinking fun.

FWIW: "Plinking" came from the nickname of Ad Toepperwein's wife. Every time she'd pull the trigger in exhibition shooting, she'd say, "Plink!"

http://www.showmanshooter.com/html/toepperwein.html

Mr. Toepperwein was a friend of my grandfather's. I used to accompany him to Petmecky's gun store in Austin, Texas, wishing I could shoot well enough to draw one of Mr. T's indian-head outlines with my own .22.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
40frog

Yeah I am really excited to try it out. I figured for $100 I couldnt go wrong and itd make for great practice at the range. Of course I have no ammo for it yet, thankfully my friend gave me a box of 50 soI can at least test it out this weekend. I will post back when I go not that I would even know what to review it for but still lol
Old May 17, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Feel free to talk about your experiences. Nobody ever quits learning, even us Certified Olde Pharts.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Plinking is a time-honored tradition, both around the country and here at TFL. For $100, you did well.

Welcome to TFL!
Old May 20, 2013, 07:59 AM   #7
40frog

Well I went out to try it out this weekend. A friend gave me a box of 22 he had so I can at least try it out and then I went ahead and bought another little box at the range. It was a hoot to shoot. Almost like a bb gun, It was super quiet and smooth. Think I shot like 100 rounds thru it and only had one misfire. Loved that there was no recoil whatsoever. It was a lot of fun!!

Only problem Im having, and its not the gun its me, lol, is that I am having a hard time actually seeing the target at 25yds , Im still getting the hang of the sights thing (even in the handgun) so if I look at the front sight I can see the target but its a bit out there. either way I got a grouping of shots (not super together) but they were all in the lower right of the bullseye area, so at least I was consistent!

Im wondering if a scope would help me out more , I do wear contact for seeing far away so maybe im just blind lol
Old May 20, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I am, by no stretch of the imagination, qualified to train anyone on how to shoot a rifle. With that said, and for what it's worth, I would suggest learning to use the iron sights before putting a scope on it. Yes, a scope would make shooting easier, but I consider the use of iron sights to be one of "the fundamentals" of shooting.

Congratulations and I'm glad to hear that you like the new rifle!
Old May 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #9
deepcreek

Scopes are another style of shooting and take different skills to lie up targets, I would recommend learning the open sights first.
Scopes can help but cheap scopes can be very poor. Cheap scopes do not let in very much light so they can be dark and have a small range of view.

Different types of open sights can help, white and orange painted sights can help the eyes focus. Also different shooting glasses try a few different tints lighter ones darker ones for bright days.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I would also recommend getting some reactive targets. I think there are several different brands, but "Shoot-N-See" (sp?) comes to mind. Those make seeing your point of impact much easier.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
40frog

Oh ok, I will look into the targets. I guess I could try different glasses too I have an amberish tint on the ones I was wearing maybe ill try another paid next time. And I agree I wanted to be able to get good at it with the sights but I was a bit frustrated because I couldn't really see the target, just the blob and the front sight in front of it lol.

I think I really have to work on figuring out how best to use the sights, I have some issues with that on the handgun too.

I read on here it was recommended to keep both eyes open, so Ive been focusing on doing that and focusing on the front sight.

Like I said, I'm still learning and trying to get into good habits to start off with.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12
40frog

@spats I googled them, yes I saw some people with them at the range yesterday, they are neon yellow when you shoot thru them?

Perhaps I can pick some up at the gun show this weekend.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:20 AM   #13
deepcreek

I shoot with my master eye. You can find you master eye by holding your thumb on an object that is about 30ft away with both eyes open then looking at it with each eye and seeing with eye keeps the object closest to the target.

I cannot shoot long range with both eyes, gives me a headache thinking about it. But some people do.

Last edited by deepcreek; May 20, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: grammer
Old May 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #14
40frog

@deepcreek ok so I put my thumb out and from my office i concentrated on a taillight and then i closed my right eye and it was way off to the right and then i closed my left eye and the thumb was practically right on target.

So it seem that I should be closing my left eye and shooting with my right eye??? Does this apply mainly to rifles because I thought I read somewhere that I should keep both eyes open for handgun?
Old May 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #15
deepcreek

Quote:
@deepcreek ok so I put my thumb out and from my office i concentrated on a taillight and then i closed my right eye and it was way off to the right and then i closed my left eye and the thumb was practically right on target.

So it seem that I should be closing my left eye and shooting with my right eye??? Does this apply mainly to rifles because I thought I read somewhere that I should keep both eyes open for handgun?
I sounds like your right eye is your master eye which is common with most people.

For a handgun I only use both eyes if I am tactical shooting because it is fast and if I was in a fight you need to see the entire situation. If I am shooting bullseye or general plinking I shoot with my master eye.

People are all different I think it is best to shoot lots of rounds and figure out what is best for your shooting.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:41 AM   #16
40frog

@deepcreek thanks. at first i was shooting with one eye and then i read about the whole two eyes, so i was trying that out this weekend but it didnt really seem to work for the rifle lol

i will try a variety the next time im at the range and see what works best for me but definitely my right eye is more on target. thanks for the suggestions and the help
Old May 22, 2013, 01:20 PM   #17
40frog

I posted my target photo in the live fire thread, curious about what a friend said last night about the rifle needed the sights adjusted.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For all that I have shot in competiton in IPSC (back when some folks called it "combat shooting") and kept both eyes open, I guess I've always been one-eyed with rifles. Irons or scopes, either one.

Never seemed to hurt anything, and I've eaten a bunch of deer meat and have spoiled the day for a fair number of jackrabbits, coyotes and prairie dogs.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:03 AM   #19
40frog

Art, Im going to try one eyed this weekend at the range. I guess Ill figure out what works best for me. But I think one eyed might be much better.