The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2002, 07:46 AM   #1
FunkMonster

getting started

Hello All,

I'd like to start reloading. Mainly handgun calibers (.357 magnum and .45). I was over at cheaper than dirt looking at the reloading kits and they have several "starter kits," but I don't know enough about it to tell what's good (or even what's different ) about them.

I'm not interested at speed at this point and I'd like to get in as cheaply as possible. So, if someone could recomind a good starting kit that can get me putting some cartridges together I would appriciate it. Also if there's anything you think I might need that doesn't come with those kits I'd like to know about that too. Thanks in advance.
Old September 27, 2002, 09:43 AM   #2
JoeHatley

www.midwayusa.com also has some nice starter sets. The Lee products are generally the least costly and will turn out ammo the works just fine. RCBS beginner kits are a little more expensive, but will last a lifetime.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old September 27, 2002, 10:04 AM   #3
braindead0

I try to avoid cheaper than dirt, every time I cross check a price there it's 4 times higher than elsewhere (midwayusa, natchez..etc). In fact, they're bragging about 286.60 for the RCBS master reloading kit, it's 229.95 at Midway. Somehow I think they think their name is enough.

How much ammo do you intend to load? The reason being, the RCBS rockchucker can be upgraded to a pretty darned good (I think) progressive press.. which will quadruple (easily) your output. So that's another thing to think about.
Old September 27, 2002, 10:08 AM   #4
sricciardelli

RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit and RCBS Accessory Kit.

No sense in going "cheap" and then having to invest more when you decide to get into "serious" reloading! It will only be monies spent twice...
Old September 28, 2002, 04:38 PM   #5
Skullboy

Funkmonster,I also would go with the RCBS Rockchucker Master reloading kit.RCBS stuff will last a lifetime.If something does break or you lose a little part, they will send you a replacement at no charge(they have done that for me and my shooting partner in the past).I use mostly RCBS equipment and have been extremely happy with it.HTH. Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?
Old September 28, 2002, 05:10 PM   #6
PALongbow

I got back into reloading last year and bought the RCBS Master Reloading Kit......can't go wrong with this kit. The only real thing that I wanted to add was a powder measure stand to hold the powder measure and the RCBS hand priming tool.

Ron
Old September 28, 2002, 06:02 PM   #7
Dogjaw

FunkMonster,

Check out Dillon presses at http://dillonprecision.com
I copied and pasted the basic specs.
Automatic Indexing
Auto Powder / Priming Systems
Available in 14 Handgun calibers
Loading Rate: 400-500 Rounds per Hour
Comes Complete With Loading Dies
Factory Adjusted, Ready-to-Use
Lifetime "No-B.S." Warranty
$252.95

You can buy a conversion kit for another caliber.

This is a cheaper alternative for loading pistol rounds. It will not reload rifle rounds. Buy a RL500B if your going to reload rifle along with pistol. I own a 550B and haven't had a minutes worth of trouble with it.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old September 28, 2002, 06:30 PM   #8
Swamp Yankee

I'll throw in with the RCBS Rockchucker kit recommendation. RCBS builds good stuff and stands behind it.
That said, if you find a good deal on a Lyman Orange Crusher or T-Mag Kit jump on it, as Lyman makes very good equipment as well.
Take Care
Old September 29, 2002, 01:07 AM   #9
Guy B. Meredith

Check Lock, Stock and Barrel at /www.lockstock.com/. Good prices, quick service.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:50 AM   #10
sundog

Before buying, research a little to discover all those items YOU need for the type of loading YOU will do. And don't forget safety glasses.

http://www.reload-nrma.com/

If you want inexpensive, that works reasonably well for pistol calibers, there's nothing wrong with a Lee turret press, especially when using powder through dies.

sundog
Old September 30, 2002, 03:17 PM   #11
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

All-in-all, I'd think I'd go single stage press to start off - you want to get all the basics down pat before going towards progressive.

Just my own thoughts on the subject.

Very tough to go wrong with the RCBS-stuff. A press - & gizmos that'll last a lifetime.

I reloaded pistol (& raifle) calibers for close to 40 years with a single-stage - you can too. It merely takes just a bit more time and it provides for a bit of a safety margin ....

Turned on to a Dillon progressive just in the last year or so - wonderful!, but I do still have some questions about double-loads with low-capacity powders - you might as well.

Nothing like shining the flashlight in every hole to absolutely! prove that you've not double-charged ....

Worst problem to date I've had is no stuffing a primer in ....

Double-charging has been non-existent.

YMMV