The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1
std7mag

Lee auto disc help, please...

I got the Lee 4 hole turret press.

Love the thing!!

I have the double disc kit, and the extender. I load .40S&W, 7mm-08, and
7mm Rem mag.

Thus far have been doing the powder measure by hand on the scale. Not a bad thing.

Wanted to make things faster and use the auto disc.

Works fine for the 7mm-08.

Doesn't work for the .40S&W. It does not have the "throw" to allow the disc to travel it's full distance.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing a part somewhere????

Any help appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
Old March 19, 2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Reloader2

Just a guess but is your die adjusted correctly or are you using the wrong die for the 40 S&W?
Old March 19, 2014, 04:19 AM   #3
j357

Most likely you need to adjust the powder through charging die in more. Make sure the case is flaring/belling just enough to slightly insert the bullet. Up to a point, more turns in on the die increase the travel of the disk.
Old March 19, 2014, 07:54 AM   #4
hodaka

You're not trying to use the double disk for the .40's are you?
Old March 19, 2014, 08:28 AM   #5
ghbucky01

Quote:
It does not have the "throw" to allow the disc to travel it's full distance.
I'm not exactly sure what this means? Is something binding up, stopping the disc?

By the way, for the autodisk I got one of these things and i love it (no more this hole is too little and the next one is too big)

http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html
Old March 19, 2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Gadawg88

Just to make sure you are clear on a couple of things. You don't use the double disk for pistol rounds. There are separate powder through dies for pistol and rifle. Now...assuming you already know the above information, it sounds like your powder through expander die just needs to be adjusted. Make sure the expander plug is still in the die and oriented nipple down first of all. They slide in and out freely.

"Powder through expander die adjustment

The quickest and most accurate way to set this die is to put the shell holder or shell plate at the top of the stroke and turn the die in until the bottom of it touches the shell holder or shell plate. At that point, back it out a half turn which should set the die to begin giving you the proper flare to the case mouth.

It is important that when attaching a powder measure to the die, that it be tightened so that the expander plug cannot move up into the die defeating the purpose of setting it in this fashion."
Old March 19, 2014, 10:19 AM   #7
madmo44mag

Lee has 3 different length expander / flare tubes for the powder through die system.
If your dies is adjusted right and you have the wrong expander / flare tube installed the disk will not have enough travel because the tube is to short.
Ask me how I know!
Old March 19, 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Reloader2

I use the double disk for pistol rounds. It works fine.
Old March 19, 2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Real Gun

You need the caliber-specific PTX from inside the powder through expander die. That is the little sliding thingy that gets released when you take the top off the die to insert the case activation tube of the powder measure. Every time I switch a powder measure to another caliber, I put the powder funnel back on loosely, to make sure the expander sleeve doesn't get away
Old March 19, 2014, 07:36 PM   #10
std7mag

No to the double disc for pistol rounds. I'm only dealing with 7-11 grains of powder.

I did the adjustment down till it touched the shell holder, then back 1/2 turn. When the "funnel" adapter is in the expanding die, it flares nicely. Bullet sits into casing and presses in without hassle.

Took the funnel off, and screwed the auto disc on, and it want to go through it's full travel. It will pick up the powder, but doesn't travel far enough to drop it.

I should mention that I got the 4 die set from Lee for the 40 S&W.

When I use it on the 7mm-08 I have no issues...
Old March 19, 2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Phidelt208

check to see you have the DISK on the right way, if you don't, it won't slide all they way forward? I'm thinking this might be what you mean by "throw"
Hope it helps. betting a 10 spot this is your issue.
Test it without the hopper, you can see where the disk stops, it should be right over the hole.
Old March 19, 2014, 08:15 PM   #12
Gadawg88

Quote:
Doesn't work for the .40S&W. It does not have the "throw" to allow the disc to travel it's full distance.
How far off is it? Can you adjust the die down more without over belling?
Old March 19, 2014, 09:32 PM   #13
dickttx

Quote j357:
"Most likely you need to adjust the powder through charging die in more. Make sure the case is flaring/belling just enough to slightly insert the bullet. Up to a point, more turns in on the die increase the travel of the disk."

Probably this ^^. You should screw the die into or out of the turret until the disk hole is directly over the drop tube when the ram is at the top of its stroke. Incidentally, this will also give you a proper case flare.

OR:

Quote Phidelt208:
"check to see you have the DISK on the right way, if you don't, it won't slide all they way forward? I'm thinking this might be what you mean by "throw""

The lever sticking through the base should go into the slot that is directly under the disk size number.

Also, you can have the hopper turned backwards.

One or more of these three should correct your problem.
Old March 21, 2014, 11:25 AM   #14
under_dawg

Make sure you haven't put the powder hopper in top of the disk 180 degrees off. It seems like when I first got my equipment, I did that.