The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 15, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
x-five

Sawing off Mossberg Silver Reserve II

Bought a new mossberg silver reserve 2. I'll pay 200$ tax and saw it off to about 8.5 inches . Need help not to do any mistakes when sawing. Please post, how to correctly, if you have ever done something familiar. Thanks
Old February 15, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Beretta686

Once you have your approved Form 1 back, I'd take it to a gunsmith to do it for probably $100. You could take a hacksaw to it, but then you're going to end up with one ghetto-ass looking gun.

But you're carving up a nice shotgun and you're going to pay a $200 tax on a gun that I assume you're going to saw the stock off too. But you're essentially making a Smooth-Bore Pistol AOW.

On the other hand, you could just go pick up a Mossberg pistol gripped 500-series AOW which will transfer to you with a $5 transfer tax instead, for about the same total price. Just something to think about.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 15, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Quote:
But you're essentially making a Smooth-Bore Pistol AOW.
Except it won't be a AOW at all. It'll be a SBS because it started it's life with a stock. I'm sure you already knew that.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Beretta686

Quote:
Except it won't be a AOW at all. It'll be a SBS because it started it's life with a stock. I'm sure you already knew that.
Indeed, which pretty much negates to point of paying for an SBS, that's going to be a de facto AOW. I'm sure someone manufactures a cut-down O/U as an AOW, but I've always seen them as SBS's which always seemed a bit silly to me.

But then of course, I've had people tell me my MAC-10 was rather silly too.....

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

There are AOW double barrels out there but they are pretty darn rare. Few double barrel receivers leave the original manufacturer without having a stock attached.

A few years back I was hunting for a AOW SXS and the few I found commanded a higher price due to rarity. I gave up in favor of a Serbu Super Shorty.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:27 AM   #6
eodinert

Use a hack saw. Cut it a little longer than you'd like it, square it with files. Use cold blue to repair the finish, or have the entire weapon reblued.

I'm not familiar with that particular shotgun, but don't use any sort of tubing cutter. No bueno.

Make sure to have your approved form 1 in hand, first, of course.