The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Plaz

Cleaning up after casting bullets

There is so much talk about caution when casting lead bullets, but not much about cleaning up when done for the day.

Can some of you folks guide me on the extent of cleanup after casting for the day?

Also what is the best way to preserve and store your casting equipment if you will not be casting again for several weeks or months?
Old May 25, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I do my casting outside and make sure the wind is going to be blowing any fumes AWAY from me. I think a good hand washing followed by a nice soothing hot shower is perfect. Just avoid getting your hands near your mouth, such as in smoking a cigarette.
I store my steel/iron molds in a GI ammo can with a package of dissacant. The Lee aluminum go into their original box and on the shelf. The pot stays outside til it is cold then on to a shelf.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Dingoboyx

Wot I do.....

I just start with a clean bench (metal top) and the floor clean around me. When done, I clean up the spru that missed out on a return trip to the pot, throw that in the pot, let all that melt, dross and scrape the crud off the top of the lead once more, then run it into an ingot mold I made from old angle iron. I cast in my shed, but have made a cabinet with a wall fan that sucks the fumes outside. I usually run my shop vac around the area, to get rid of contaminated dust (I haven't grown an extra head.... yet) When I turn off the melting pot, I tip it on its side and scrape any lead & crud away from the outled & make sure the outlet is properly closed (so it doesn't leak on next startup) when it is cool, I give it a quick brush out and yup, back on shelf.

I brush my molds with a fairly soft bronze/brass brush and spray them with INOX (like WD40) and put them back in their boxes. (yes, I wash them with soapy water and an old toothbrush, then dry them before next useage) This stops them rusting in between useage.

Last edited by Dingoboyx; May 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 26, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
freakshow10mm

I keep tossing the sprues back into the pot during casting.

For clean up I fill the pot back up with lead and then let it cool to harden. Put it back on the shelf. Let everything cool down.

If in storage for more than a month, lightly spray metal with CLP and put it on the shelf. I cast at least every other week, so this isn't really an issue for me.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I only fill my pot about 1/4 way full before I unplug it. The reason for doing this is to increase the surface area of lead in contact with the hot pot for your next reloading session. The lead left in your pots melts much faster than just ingots alone. If you have a bottom pour pot, it is advisable to never run your pot dry unless you are changing alloys. If you let it run dry, the chance of dirt getting caught in your flow valve increases. If this happens, you pot will be a bottom-leak pot....and it is very annoying. If you have a lee pot chances are it will leak anyway!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 26, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
freakshow10mm

I leave lead in there to prevent rust and also to melt while I get setup for the next session. First thing I do is plug the pot in, then get out the flux, molds heat them up, etc. By the time I'm set and ready to cast I have a hot mold and lead that needs to be fluxed. Then it's on.