The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 1999, 12:30 AM   #1
sierra 65

OK, what is the practical thing to do with coyotes, when I was a kid we used to hunt them and turn them in to my buddy's dad for more ammo. I now live in TN and would like to hunt them here but don't think that uncle Sam would go for that since I'll be hunting on post. They have the season I just don't know what to do with the kills...Ben
Old December 21, 1999, 07:49 AM   #2
Kingcreek

Sierra,
Green hides are worth almost nothing now to fur buyers. Good tanned hides will sell or trade at gun shows, and rondezvous. Most folks around here shoot and leave 'em.
I haven't shot any for a few years, but I intend to this winter as we are just over-run with the darn things. I know a fellow who tans them himself so I'll give him any I shoot. I just can't bring myself to leave an animal where I shoot it.
Good hunting
Old December 23, 1999, 10:34 PM   #3
TGS

Are you hunting AEDC? There is some good shooting in Cannon cty. The last one I shot was so totally infested with ticks and fleas that I wouldnt touch it, I MEAN INFESTED. Id say leave them lay.There is no money in hides anymore. The coyote in northern Mich (UP) used to bring a good price not to long ago. Big healthy critters good coats (long hard winters seem to bring out the best in them critters. I know there gettin to be a real pest around here.They dont look healthy either.