The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 17, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
doofus47

Colorado Front Range: Attn. Shooters on Public Land

If you live in Boulder, Gilpin, Laramie, Clear Creek counties, there will be a meeting in your county to discuss a blanket policy for shooting on public land. Circle the date on your calendar and GO!

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_234691...ailycamera.com

Important times/dates:
Quote:
Recreational sport shooting

Boulder, Larimer, Gilpin and Clear Creek counties -- along with the U.S. Forest Service and Colorado Parks and Wildlife -- have scheduled open houses to provide information about potential locations suitable for safe recreational sport shooting. The meetings:

Larimer County: 6 to 8 p.m. June 27 at the Carter Lake and Boyd Lake meeting rooms in the Larimer County Courthouse Office Building, 200 W. Oak St., Fort Collins.

Gilpin County: 6 to 8 p.m. July 11 at the Gilpin County Community Center, 250 Norton Drive, Black Hawk.

Clear Creek County: 6 to 8 p.m. July 16 at Idaho Springs City Hall, 1711 Miner St., Idaho Springs.

Boulder County: 6 to 8 p.m. July 23 in the Boulder County Commissioners' third floor hearing room in the Boulder County Courthouse, 1325 Pearl St., Boulder.

Further information about the Northern Front Range Recreational Shooting Management Partnership is available online, at SportShootingPartners.org. People can also call project coordinator Garry Sanfacon at 720-564-2642 or email [email protected].
Old June 17, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Merl

If they are to the point of hearings the decision has already been made. Been to these before, consensus is the rangers do not want anyone on their land for any reason.
Old June 18, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
doofus47

Well, I used to be a teacher: I like to speak my piece, even if no one is taking notes.
Old June 18, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Sounds like they are jointly looking at establishing specific shooting areas on public land, perhaps with the idea of restrictions in other areas, or just safe areas with backstops not around residences or campgrounds.

Welcome to the urban wildlands.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5
HiBC

Not so long ago the folks who watched over the public lands where shooting occurred were game wardens,DOW.That changed,they consolidated the Park Ranger in.
The game warden sort,in my experience,was far more supportive of folks shooting on public lands so long as they played by the rules and did not make a mess.

In my experience,this new Park Ranger type is a different breed.More Sierra Club.In particular,they do not comprehend ,or condone,longer range shooting.I mean I have had targets against a bank at 300 yds and the Park Ranger thought that was a wrong thing to do.I knew exactly where every one of my bullets would stop.

In fairness,the Park Ranger is concerned with where a mountain biker might intrude into the danger zone downrange,and,safety IS important.

I'll show up.

If we don't,the bird watchers,mushroom pickers and mountain bikers will make all the rules.

I have a particular interest in the Pawnee National Grasslands and BLM land.