The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1
gdeal

Picking up Brass at the range

I know some ranges don't allow you to pick up any brass. The range I shoot at now says only to pick up your own brass. Anyway I think it's a hassle. How much am I going to save really by reusing my brass. It's not like I can pick up 100% of it either. Some of it goes into areas where other people are shooting and stuff. I try to sweep my area before I start shooting but some people don't like me doing that because they want to pick up their brass when they are done shooting. Anyway picking up my own brass is one thing. Sorting off the floor to make sure I pick up only my brass is another. I'm lucking if I get 40% of my brass back. I wonder if it is really worth it. Brass is not the most expensive reloading component. Does anyone here not reuse their brass or does just about everyone who releoads pick up what brass they can?
Old September 10, 2009, 01:07 PM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

I pick up my own brass... Some of the stuff I shoot the brass alone is $1.50+ per piece of brass... So I'd better be picking it up.... Most people are shooting the cheap throw away stuff anyway so I don't bother...
Old September 10, 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
longranger

I pick up 100% of my brass as I spend alot of time processing what I shoot.I even have a brass catcher for my AR. I have a 40-70 Sharps Straight, brass is $4.00 a piece so I don't let it even hit the ground.
Old September 10, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
CowTowner

I'm one of the few that work (part time) at a public range. We clean up the brass every morning from the previous day's shooting. I get what ever I need as a "fringe benefit".
Etiquette says pick up only yours and take others only if they give it to you.
That being said, like .300 Weatherby Mag, I shoot some calibers that are tough to find. 10mm Auto being one of those. Gather your brass and keep it. You never know when it could come in handy.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 10, 2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Kyo

brass is supposed to be the most expensive component. I wouldn't know since I keep mine. I keep my reloads in 50's in the original boxes I shot them out of before they were reloads.
So, if I take 100 to the range, I shoot them, fill them back up with casings for my 45, and then go. They don't get mad cause I am not stealing, and I don't get mad cause I don't lose brass.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 10, 2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Citywaterman

I keep all the brass that I shoot and any brass left behind by others in the calibers that I use. I'm shooting .38 special and .357 Mag revolvers, so my brass isn't flying all over the place like a pistol. I cast my own bullets (free wheel weights) and the brass I reload. The only components I buy is powder and primers. My cost is low. Citywaterman
Old September 10, 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
jal5

I sometimes go to a public range near home just to pick up brass left behind. I process and use what I need and trade off the rest. Most of it is 1x fired.
I think I must have picked up 250 pcs. early this spring one morning just after the snow melted on the range...all those people shooting guns over the winter!

Joe
Old September 10, 2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Russ5924

That is what I like about revolvers don't have to chase the brass. I always try to get next to a wall so my brass can't travel to far. But I still only get about 80% back where it go??????
Old September 10, 2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Gdeal,

As was mentioned earlier, brass is actually the most expensive component in rifle and larger pistol calibers. In 9 mm and .45 ACP and other chamberings that use lighter brass cases, its price is in the ballpark with some jacketed bullets. At least, it is in 1000 quantities for both. If your's is not a chambering for which inexpensive ammo shows up on the market, then reloading with cast lead bullets can get you down to under $0.10 a round. Depends on the specifics. If you cast your own bullets and can get some free scrap to do it with, you'll handgun target loads are under a nickel to reload.

Get a tripod or telescoping light stand. Hang a 3 foot piece of dowel rod horizontally from it. 3/8" wood or plastic plumbing pipe is sturdy enough. Have a length of Nylon window screen dangling under that. Put this to your right side and place it where all your flying brass will hit it. That will keep it all closer together and your neighbor will appreciate that your ejects aren't hitting him in the face.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 10, 2009, 03:17 PM   #10
THEZACHARIAS

Through my enlistment, Ive actually had a few range masters and CATMs guys ask at the initial safety briefing if anyone reloaded 9mm and would want the spent brass at the end of the day. Unfortunately, this was long before I was interested in reloading, and sadly I havent run into the same instructors since. Not sure what the official disposal policy is, though, so not sure how often they get away with this.

Still, a good way to pick up some free brass if you happen to be active duty.
Old September 10, 2009, 03:58 PM   #11
rog45us

Brass

I have a range that I pick up three time a week. If I don't they throw it all away.
Old September 10, 2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Fox1

I pick up brass at 2 public ranges near me all the time. Some days I'll grab a soda and a sandwich and go to one of them just to look for brass.
(It's kind of like Easter morning, but for reloaders!)

The best times are hunting season when everyone is re-zeroing their rifles. Some folks will leave piles of bottle-necked rifle cases behind and I've found quite a bit of .45, .40, 9mm and .380 as well. Anything in a caliber I don't shoot I'll bag up and trade with other reloaders for sizes I do reload in.
Old September 10, 2009, 04:19 PM   #13
iblong

I must be cheap,I allways pick up my brass and any that others leave behind.
I always ask any one near me if there saving brass so I dont upset anyone ,but I never leave brass behind.I know a couple gravel pits guys shoot at and if Im out running around Ill stop and check it out.
Bob.
Old September 10, 2009, 04:20 PM   #14
shooter_from_show-me

The public outdoor range that I go to, you have to pick up your own during or after your session. And they also have two 5gal buckets of misc brass you can pick through if you want to on your way out. I've picked out .308 brass and gave it to a guy that goes to the same church as I.

NRA Life Member
Old September 10, 2009, 04:44 PM   #15
jepp2

If I buy quality once fired brass, the bullets are the most expensive part for me. But taking brass fired by someone else, requires more work on my part the first time through my process. Once I have loaded and fired it, I pick up 99.9% of my brass. I rarely miss any on (from 9mm, 40 S&W, and AR's).

I keep track of number of times loaded, if rifle brass needs trimmed, etc. So absolutely I pick up my own brass. I also will pick up range brass for calibers I load. But I keep them separate from my brass.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:21 PM   #16
BigJimP

I pick up "my share" of brass that is in my lane or in front of my lane .... and politely ask the guys around me, if they're saving their brass or if I can sweep it up and hang onto it.

The indoor range I go to - does sweep and sell brass - but in my view, as long as you aren't hogging too much picking up a "gallon sized bag" of brass isn't that big a deal - and I'll continue to do it.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:44 PM   #17
Blue Grass

I'm a brass rat. I'll pick up any I reload for if it's lying around. If I see someone throwing brass (esp. 38 spl .44 mag & .357 mag) in the trash I'll politely ask if I can have it.Usually they'll box it up and give it to me. Last time at one of the outdoor range I go to, there was a pile of .45 Schofield brass on the ground. Don't know a soul who reloads it so I left it on the ground. There's not nearly as much brass left on the ground as there was a few years ago.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Uncle Buck

I pick up everything. When I stop by the public range there is usually no one there. The dogs and I enjoy a good outing and I end up with lots of brass. The stuff I do not reload gets thrown in a bucket and if no one wants it at the end of the year I sell it to the recyclers.
I hate buying new brass.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:12 PM   #19
1goodshot

I love picking up brass,little pieces of gold to me. Ive got sacks and sacks of brass, no primers or bullets to put in them
Old September 10, 2009, 08:54 PM   #20
Smogdude

There was a guy shooting two stalls down from me a few weeks ago who was shooting an AR15.. I was trying to sight in my new scope on my mini 14 with handloaded .223 rounds. A dual purpose range trip. He picked up a few of my cases unintentionally while picking up after himself. I gave him an earfull for picking up 3 out of 100+ of my cases... he apologized and offered me his brass..
Old September 11, 2009, 11:31 PM   #21
Tex S

The OP said/asked...

Quote:
Anyway I think it's a hassle. How much am I going to save really by reusing my brass.
Well, here are a few price checks for you. I found these prices at Midway.

Remington 45 auto brass per 100 $24.49 + shipping
Remington 40 S&W brass per 100 $25.99 + shipping

Each time I go to the range I can easily pick up 100 45 auto and 100 40 S&W. Thats about $60 just laying on the ground. So, to answer your question, you can save about $60 each time you pick up 200 pieces of brass.

The savings really are substantial. Think about it... $60 will pay for a pound of powder, 500 primers, and a few hundred bullets.
Old September 11, 2009, 11:40 PM   #22
armsmaster270

Last time I fired at the Sherriff's range they gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of RP 40S&W nickled cases.
Old September 12, 2009, 08:56 AM   #23
3ddiver

I pick up any brass I am lucky enough to find, take it home clean it up and sort it out.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:12 AM   #24
Dr. Strangelove

I pick my brass and anyone else's who isn't keeping it, and I won't shoot at ranges that won't allow you to pick up your own. One of the local public ranges has a "brass scrounger" that volunteers at the range just for access to the brass. I thought he and I were going to come to blows once over brass. He would scurry out and sweep up everyone's brass when we were changing targets, even after I had asked him to not sweep mine.

Not re-using brass if you are a reloader doesn't make sense economically.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Unclenick
Staff

If you didn't re-use brass you wouldn't be a reloader. Just a loader.

I figure the term handloader is usually inclusive of both. Most handloaders reload, but also buy new brass from time to time to replace those sacrificed to the brass trolls who live in the grass at the range. I never buy less than 1000 in a pistol caliber. Currently, new .45 ACP seems to be about 14 cents each in that quantity, plus shipping, which makes it 15 cents. Small quantities though, are expensive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle