The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2006, 09:10 AM   #1
biglabsrule

Rant on Remington Ammo

I was out hunting from my stand saturday, around 8:30 a large coyote came mozying on by. I took a shot and hit him, good hit but he yelped and twisted. When I went to take a finishing shot.. click click, damn you remington:barf: . I was using remmington core lokts in a remington 7400 .30-06 new november 1 year ago. The extractor tore the lip right of the brass leaving a round stuck in the chamber... bah. Still killed it, I beleive you shouldn't rely on a second shot, only can count on getting one good shot, but shouldn't be becuase of the gun/ammo. I'm thinking it was week brass as it ate the chunk out of the rim, I've fired surplus through with no problems but when using more expensive stuff I run into problems, whats the story with that? Still not sure if I wanna use the rest of the box, this was the first round I used from the box

Also a second story: I've bought .410 rem ammo that was large enough to not eject from a break action .410! Checked with a micrometer and was deffinetly the ammo...

I live near the Illion plant and like to suport Remington but think I'm gonna switch ammo next year...
Anyone else have big problems with remmington factory ammo?
Old November 6, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Doesn't sound like it's a brand-of-ammo problem. Sounds more like maybe a grunge buildup toward the front of the chamber.

If that happened to me, I'd take a cleaning rod and run it down the barrel and screw a .410 shotgun cloth-brush (swab?) onto it. Soak it with copper cleaning solvent and let it sit for a while before scrubbing in a round-and-round fashion. I'd follow that with a copper brush, round and round, and then repeat with the .410 brush.

I'd do a before-and-after look at the chamber with a dentist's mirror and a light shone down the barrel.

Just guessing...

Art
Old November 6, 2006, 02:59 PM   #3
ENC

My Remington 870 super mag will not eject fired 3.5" remington spent hulls. Federal and winchester seem fine. The remington shells have longer brass and a more rounded looking rim.

Everytime the extractor will pop over the rim and leave me looking for a screwdriver.

Evan
Old November 6, 2006, 05:52 PM   #4
littlmak

You say you live near the plant. Any chance you could stop by with your oversized/mangled brass and ask for replacement and tighter QC? I've done this with empty soda cans from a vending machines and cans of soup that looked/smelled funny. It's amazing what you get in the mail from some of the "please don't call your lawyer" depts. of some companies. Just don't threaten legal action if you go. But let them know you'll think twice about future product purchases.
Old November 7, 2006, 12:01 PM   #5
biglabsrule

lol nah thats not the way real men handle things like this.... We bitch and bitch in private, change brands and let it fluster us...

and the .410 wasnt anything to do with grunge, I know where you're comming from sugesting that, could be possible but I had bought that gun along with a new box of remmy ammo, first I thought the gun, a cheep rossi, was tighter than .410 resulting in the problem, but then I pulled out some older remington ammo and winchester ammo and they worked. I've talked to people that work there and they just say this: The managers have them keep the dies in longer than they should, when thousands of brass is punched out for the shotgunshells the dies wear down, hence slightly bigger than in this case .410 inch.... its a matter of not wanting to buy new dies as often...
Old November 7, 2006, 12:16 PM   #6
bclark1

i've also had problems with remington super-mag 12ga ammo getting stuck in pumps, but not terribly, just gotta put some elbow grease into the slide. it always goes bang though. i am a big fan of their rifle ammunition, mostly the newer premier lines, but i've never had any problems with the core-lokt or express stuff that i can recall.
Old November 7, 2006, 04:57 PM   #7
pumpkinheaver

Sounds like a dirty or pitted chamber to me. My winchester 100 in .308 will tear through the cartridge rim if it is not kept clean.
Old November 7, 2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Mannlicher

no, in shooting Remington and Peters ammo for some 50 years, I can't recall a single instance where their ammo was a problem.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 8, 2006, 02:18 PM   #9
FrontSight

Only problem I've ever had in 18 years was with the super expensive slugs not firing or extracting properly form my savage slug warrior the second year for some reason (1st year worked fine). Seemed to load too deeply into the chamber, light strike & not extract. Hastings laser accurate worked fine. Still can't figure why they worked fine the first year & not the second.

I did know a guy who said he had 3 misfires on remington centerfire, but for all I know it could have been his rifle...
Old November 8, 2006, 08:33 PM   #10
Socrates

Bought Remington ammo once. A box of 44 special, in about 1980's, early 80's. Paid 20 bucks for 20 rounds, when that was real money. Lead bullets, about 250 grains, IIRC.
Worst ammo I ever shot. Couldn't hit a man size target, at 7 yards with the stuff, out of a Bulldog. HUGE blast, severe recoil, and the bullets moved so slow, from the side, you could easily see them.

Went home, got out the press, loaded a low 44 magnum pressure load, HS-6, 240 grain HP, Hornady, IIRC. Gave me about 1100 fps. Head shots at 7 yards, with all 5 shots, very easy. Less blast, much less recoil, and no giant load of smoke.

That was the last time I bought Remington ammo. Hi priced, worst performance ever.

S
Old November 9, 2006, 04:05 PM   #11
guntotin_fool

Last week I was over at the local skeet and trap range, asked the guy what he had for left over hulls, bought a 33 gallon bag full of 20 and 12 rem cases for 15 bucks, asked him why remington when federal was just down the road. He said, "it works in every gun, if it don't, its never the ammo."

I have shot maybe 200,000 rounds of pistol ammo in the last 20 years, most of it was reloaded, the balance was remington or federal, never had a single problem with a factory round. Of the reloaded ammo, almost all was primed with rem primers, fed IMR powder and lead bullets, and i have never had an issue with the rem components either.

I have seen several rifles and shotguns that were "brand new" but dirty as sin on the inside. Seen many with corroded chambers and filthy actions. yet people never seem to think that stop the gun from working.
Old November 10, 2006, 01:03 AM   #12
ENC

Just so you all are clear it is the ammo.

Fired Remington 3.5" shells will NOT eject out of my Remington 870 supermag.

Federal, Winchester, and Kent all work just fine. I know the barrel is clean. I also know the brass is over sized compared to the other three brands. Tomorrow I will go outside fire some shells and mic them.

Evan
Old November 10, 2006, 07:27 AM   #13
silicon wolverine

ive stripped rims of remy .30-06 in an 03-A3 springfield that works with just about anything else. Ive heard (but cant confirm) they use a lower grade of brass than others as well.

SW
Old December 16, 2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Troponin

Just thought I would bump this.

I just heard from my local dealer that he has been getting alot of calls lately on the Rem shotguns. Something with the action is all I heard, maybe extractors?
Old December 17, 2006, 01:59 AM   #15
UniversalFrost

Like art said, inspect and clean your chambers. Maybe get the chambers polished if you still have problems. You could even have the smithy gauge the chambers (could be on the tight side) and open them up a little. Folks that shoot competition shooting and have match barrels notice that some brands of ammo (or types of the same brand) have extraction issues. With match barrels, they also have "match" chambers that have very tight tolerances and are not as "open" as a normal factory chamber. This means that some brands (CCI comes to mind for .22LR) that do not have very good QC for their ammo have some issues in these match chambers. The same ammo will work in a non-match chamber, because the non-match chamber is a bit more "open" to allow for a greater variance in diameters.

My guess is that either you have chambers that are a little to "tight" and need to be opened up or polished, to allow for a slightly larger case diameter or your chambers are a bit dirty. If you do not want to mess with the chambers then just switch brands until you find one that works for your rifle and shotgun. Also, depending on the brand of ammo, the tolerances for the ammo can very greatly between the lower end ammo and the upper end ammo from the same manufacturer (i.e. Federal Premium Vital-Shok is upper end and Federal Power-Shok is lower cheap end).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 17, 2006, 06:03 AM   #16
DWARREN123

Rem is the only ammo I have had problems with in 357 mag. Mostly the primers falling out after firing, this causes the revolver to lock up. I don't but Rem 357 mag any more.