The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2004, 06:10 PM   #1
JFP

Mag extension for Rem 1187: which brand is best?

I want to increase capacity on my factory 4 rd 1187 remington, but I do NOT want to gain capacity at the expense of reliablity. In this vein I have two questions.

1.- Brownells list three makers of mag ext. for my gun, Wilson, Choate and Tacstar. Is either one better/worse or are they the same quality. Is there a best extension out there?

2.- I saw on the Bushmaster webpage LE CHoate mag extension for 7, 9 and 10 rounds. Will these larger cap (than the regular 2-3 rds extension) work as well as the other.

Again the key for me is not compromising reliablity.

Thx to all for taking time out to read this and for making this such a great forum.
Old August 8, 2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Rocco

Just a reminder, JFP

Quote:
I saw on the Bushmaster webpage LE CHoate mag extension for 7, 9 and 10 rounds. Will these larger cap (than the regular 2-3 rds extension) work as well as the other.
You've got to take into account that the advertised capacity of the above extensions is calculated taking the original magazine PLUS one round in the chamber, therefore, a 7 shot extension will actually add but 2 rounds to your mag, bringing the TOTAL capacity of the gun to 6 in the mag PLUS 1 in the chamber, i.e., 7 shots total.

Other point to watch for is that if you want to keep the mag tube flush with the muzzle, you should get the 7 rnd. for a 20" bbl., the 9 rnd. for a 24" bbl. and the 10 rnd. tube for the 26" and longer bbls.

Hope this helps!

Rocco
_________
Si vis Pacem, Para Bellum -+- Audaces Fortuna juvat
Old August 9, 2004, 07:17 AM   #3
BHP9

IMHO Choate put out the best.

I install Choate extensions on my clients guns and have never had a problem.

I installed one on my 870 22 years ago and it's still going strong. Using it for IPSC shotgun matches.

BHP9.
Old August 9, 2004, 01:56 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

From the same question on another forum:

I put the Wilson/Scattergun and the Choate at a tie for #1, and the Tac-Star at #2 for quality.

I like the Choate because it comes as a complete Kit.
You get the extension, a longer spring, a sling swivel, a heavy-duty magazine follower, and a barrel clamp.

USE THE BARREL CLAMP. If the extension doesn't come with it...buy one.

It doesn't matter HOW heavy and sturdy the extension is, it's still screwed to the thin magazine tube, which is made even weaker by the heavy threads cut into it.

Give a magazine extension a surprisingly light bump, and the extension is bent out of line, or worse, knocked off the gun.

If bent, the gun will jam. If you knock the extension off, shells and the spring shoot a considerable distance, and the gun is out of service.

Unfortunately, when the extension is hit, the part that gets damaged is usually the thin magazine tube on the gun. Since this part is brazed in place at the factory, that means a trip back to Remington for a replacement.

The problem with buying extensions is, everybody advertises them differently.
You may see three dealers selling:
A 2 shot extension.
A 7 shot extension.
An extension for an 18" barrel.

These are all three the SAME extension. One is advertising it as how many rounds are ADDED to the gun, one is how many TOTAL rounds the gun will hold, (including one in the chamber), and one is selling based on the barrel length.

In my experience, the best way to buy is to specify the barrel length. If, for instance you have a 21" barrel on your Remington, this will eliminate the confusion over whether you want a 2 or 3 shot, or a 7 or 8 shot extension.

In general, a 2-7 shot extension will fit an 18" barrel.
A 3-8 shot will fit a 20" barrel.

The longer extensions work just as well as the shorter extensions, but add considerable weight, and the balance of the gun alters badly as the extension is emptied.

The best price I've ever found on Choate extensions is from this man:
Eldon King, Email-- [email protected]

He carries all Choate products, including all their extensions, in blue or parkerized.

Since he's in Arkansas, I suspect he has an "in" at the factory, since he sells so cheap.
Old August 10, 2004, 12:19 PM   #5
JFP

Thx for the great replies. Ordered myself a Choate extension and can't wait for it to arrive.
Old August 15, 2004, 07:39 AM   #6
BHP9

Choate extensions 3 shot ( gives you 7+1) and 5 shot (9+1) come with a barrel clamp.

If you are using a barrel with rifle sights, place the clamp with the rear edge even with the rear of the front sight. Don't tighten it too tight as you will start to crimp the extension. Put a dag of blue loctite on the threads of the screw for the clamp, then let it set up before using the SG (about 12 hrs).

BHP9.