The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2000, 10:53 PM   #1
SGB

My Granpa is about ready to sell off most of his guns but before he does he let my cousin and I pick one out for us to keep. I chose a Smith and Wesson 3-shot semi-auto 12 guage. I have never heard of S&W shotguns. Did I get myself a decent, good, rare, or possibly even great gun? any input would be appreciated. Thanks

------------------
"He counted on America to be passive....He counted wrong"

President Ronald Reagan
Old April 21, 2000, 12:06 AM   #2
Gunslinger

SGB, the Smith semi auto scattergun was designated the model 1000 and manufactured for S&W by Howa from 1972 until 1984. Depending upon condition they are valued up to around $375. They are, in my opinion, an excellent shotgun and well worth more than the price they demand. While not really considered rare you will not see them often, particularly in good conditon. For some inexplicable reason nearly everyone of these I encounter looks as though ut has been used as fense post.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old April 21, 2000, 12:25 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Good workable shotguns. Nothing special, but based liberally on the Remington pattern, I believe.

I have one of the police version Model 3000 pump guns. 18.5" barrel, parkerized, plain wood. Hasn't bobbled yet.

By the way, what did your cousin pick?

[This message has been edited by Mike Irwin (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old April 21, 2000, 08:02 PM   #4
SGB

Mike,
My cousin had first pick because he lives closer to my grandpa than I do. He chose a Winchester 30-06 4 shot semi auto with a scope. It seemed to be in descent condition. I didn't really mind because my old man has a Remington model 4 which is the same damn thing and it's in a lot better condition. I have access to use it whenever I want and it'll be mine someday because I'm an only child. My dad also has..
1. 2 side by side 12 guage double barrels
2. Up and down 12 guage double barrel
3. 12 guage single shot
4. 20 guage single shot
5. .410 single shot
6. Winchester .270 bolt action
7. Ruger .22 semi auto 10 shot
8. 30-30 single shot
9. Beretta .25 acp 8 shot semi pistol

As you can see I've basically have all of the bases covered. All I need is a nice 12 guage pump and an HK USP .45 Tactical to go with my HK USP 9mm and I'll be all set. Lol

------------------
"He counted on America to be passive....He counted wrong"

President Ronald Reagan
Old April 22, 2000, 01:12 AM   #5
tackdriver

Okay, good. I thought I was crazy. I used one of these things in a turkey shoot one time. This gun is beautiful, it's a fowling piece and it's engraved with ducks and whatnot on the receiver and it terrific condition. Every time I told someone about this they looked at me like I was full of it.