The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Resizing Bottleneck Cases

What would you do?

I have a bunch of once reloaded brass that my daughter has shot out of her rifle. So I'm assuming it has fire formed to her chamber. Since I'm fairly new to loading, I contemplating whether I should go ahead and full length size or just neck size. From what I have been reading, I should probably just neck size to extend the life of the brass.

Question, how often do you full length size your bottleneck cases? Every other reload? Every 3rd reload?
Old September 2, 2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Saint Dennis

A lot of variables there. For hunting rounds I full length resize every time. For "range brass", I full length size when it needs it (chambers hard). Every rifle is an animal unto itself. Some chambers aren't real cocentric and you will need to full length size every time. Other chambers your brass will wear out first.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
steve4102

If her rifle is a semi-auto, pump or lever gun, Full Length size every time.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4
jwrowland77

It's a Rossi single shot .223.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
jdscholer

Just the fact that she and you both shoot the same cartridge, would put me in the full length size club; simply to avoid any future problems if you want to trade ammo or brass.

Neck sizing is over rated in the accuracy/brass saving department, and isn't a good idea unless you KNOW that the brass was shot in your rifle. jd
Old September 2, 2012, 10:32 AM   #6
jwrowland77

Oh yeah totally agree. I don't shoot a .223 though. My rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
farmerboy

I have always fl resize with rcbs dies. Yes it takes awhile sometimes but found load for three different rifles that can punch a ragged hole at 100 yds. Bought new rcbs neck dies, had them put up for about two years and thought, These cases have been reloaded about 8-10 times some and so I dont see neck dies helping me out in that area (longer case life) and when you can punch a ragged hole it doesnt sound like they can do anything to help you there either. So I put them on e-bay and lost a few dollars on about 5 unused sets. You may think theyre the cats meow but I couldnt see them doing anything for me. Id keep full length sizing myself. If anything tweak powder and bullets
Old September 2, 2012, 06:08 PM   #8
rg1

Break action rifles such as the Rossi, Thompson Contender and Encore, and NEF handi-rifles require special attention to sizing your brass. Here's a good article on sizing brass for break actions. A little too much detail in the article but some good advice. Their is a gap between the barrel and action-firing pin that needs to be taken into consideration. Too much shoulder set back when sizing can cause misfires or case stretching. Take a look at the article about loading for break action rifles:
http://bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=172
Old September 2, 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Jimro

For a break action rifle, full length size every time unless you know how to adjust your dies to set headspace to that particular rifle. 223 brass isn't exactly exotic, so the added brass life of neck sizing is probably not worth the hassle of having your daughters rifle deal with stuck or tight ammo.

Jimro
Old September 2, 2012, 09:06 PM   #10
jwrowland77

Yeah. I think I'm going to just stick with full length sizing. I just ordered 2k once fired brass, which should do her for awhile.

I figure minimum of 3 loads each will give her 6k rounds too shoot. That will be plenty. It'll take a lot of range time to shoot that many rounds.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:19 PM   #11
wncchester

"From what I have been reading, I should probably just neck size to extend the life of the brass. "

Yeah, from what you read you would get that idea - and that it's more 'accurate' too. But neither are predictable and the differencea are slight even if neck sizing matters at all.

FL all hunting ammo and KNOW it will feed and chamber every time.
Old September 2, 2012, 11:04 PM   #12
math teacher

And then run all the ammo you are going to use on the hunt through the action before the hunt to be sure it feeds properly. I once forgot to do that and when I went to unload at the truck the bolt was jammed. Since it is illegal here to carry a loaded gun in a vehicle, I pounded the bolt open with an umbrella handle which worked. But in the process I must have hit the scope power adjustment ring and jambed it. Spent the rest of the hunt on 4 power. Burris was kind enough to fix it for nothing. Some of the other ammo I had with me did not feed properly either. The necks were too thick. I assumed because it was new brass that it would be within specs. Another lesson learned.