The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
PeteF

Hornady LNL Crushing primers

Yesterday I set up to do a run of 9mm using Winchester once fired brass with federal small primers. Ran the first 250 rounds with no issues. I then had one primer that did not seat far enough which caused the press to lock up. I removed the shell plate to get the round out. Then reassembled the press.
From that point on ~50% would not seat properly and wound up either not seating or getting crushed against the primer pocket. I took the primer slide apart, cleaned and dry lubed it but this did not seem to help. Is it possible for the shell plate to get out of misalignment with the primer ram, causing the primers not to line up with the primer pockets?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.
Old January 17, 2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I don't own this press, but recall someone else had the same problem with one recently. Use the search function in the blue bar across the screen under the Welcome space, then select advanced search. In there you will be able to use multiple search terms to find the post. I recall there was something that was adjusted to correct the problem. The owner may have called Hornady customer service to be talked through it in the end, but I've forgotten? He did get it working.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 17, 2010, 05:13 PM   #3
David Wile

Hey Pete,

Here are some first thoughts based on what you have related:

1. Are you using the correct shell plate?

2. When you reassembled the shell plate, did you get the index notch at the bolt to fit into the notch of the shell plate before you tightened it down? One would think if the case is being sized and deprimed properly, then the shell plate should line up properly for the primer seating. That is not the case, however, if the shell plate notch is not seated properly. It will misalign the primer seater station.

3. Since half are seating properly, you must be using the right size primers. However, what about the primer pockets? Is there any chance they have some crimp that needs to be removed?

4. What was the deal with the first primer that would not seat? When you got the round out, what did it look like? What did you do to seat that primer?

5. Do you have a hand primer tool? If so, try priming some of the case you are having a problem with and see what happens with another primeing system. If you have a problem seating a primer in a particular case on the LNL, and then you successfully prime that same case with a hand tool, then the problem is likely in the LNL. If you still have a problem seating the primer with a hand tool, then the problem is likely with the case primer pockets or the primers themselves.

It sounds like you know what to do with the primer shutlle and keeping it cleaned and adjusted. Maybe you missed the notch when you put the shell plate back? That's all I can think of so far.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 17, 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
PeteF

Hey Pete,

Here are some first thoughts based on what you have related:

1. Are you using the correct shell plate?
Using a #8.

2. When you reassembled the shell plate, did you get the index notch at the bolt to fit into the notch of the shell plate before you tightened it down? One would think if the case is being sized and deprimed properly, then the shell plate should line up properly for the primer seating. That is not the case, however, if the shell plate notch is not seated properly. It will misalign the primer seater station.
Notch is aligned correctly

3. Since half are seating properly, you must be using the right size primers. However, what about the primer pockets? Is there any chance they have some crimp that needs to be removed?
I don't think so. I used WWB that I know are once fired (I fired them)

4. What was the deal with the first primer that would not seat? When you got the round out, what did it look like? What did you do to seat that primer?
The primer was proud of the brass by almost the full height of the primer.
I did not get the primer to seat, i originally put it down to a piece of messed up brass and tossed it.

5. Do you have a hand primer tool? If so, try priming some of the case you are having a problem with and see what happens with another primeing system. If you have a problem seating a primer in a particular case on the LNL, and then you successfully prime that same case with a hand tool, then the problem is likely in the LNL. If you still have a problem seating the primer with a hand tool, then the problem is likely with the case primer pockets or the primers themselves.
I need to pick one up

It sounds like you know what to do with the primer shutlle and keeping it cleaned and adjusted. Maybe you missed the notch when you put the shell plate back? That's all I can think of so far.

Thanks for the thoughts
Old January 18, 2010, 08:48 AM   #5
MADISON

LNL crushing primers

20+ years ago I got a HORNADY PROJECTOR, RCBS Rock Chucker, and, 9 Lyman T-Mag presses. I could not get any of their priming systems to work properly.
I bought an RCBS 09460 Bench Mounted priming system. I workes wonderfully!
Old January 19, 2010, 10:48 AM   #6
floydster

Madison, AMEN!!
Old January 19, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7
David Wile

Hey Madison & Floydster,

Pete is having a problem with the priming mechanism on his LNL which was his choice for a progressive reloader. He asks us for ideas to help him solve the problem, and a couple of us have tried to help. You two, on the other hand, make comments that do nothing to help him solve his problem, and essentially are telling him he made a bad choice in buying the Hornady LNL. Now I ask you, what compels you to kick someone when they are down?

I know you guys have seen other folks ask for help for problems with every other brand of progressive press out there including RCBS, Dillon, and Lee. Let's be honest about things here. RCBS, Dillon, Lee, Hornady, and others all make progressive presses that perform their function very well. Different folks have different reasons for buying different presses, and once they have decided to buy a particular press, we should not be kicking sand in their face if they happen to have a problem. And remember, folks report poblems with every brand of press made.

Are you guys aware that Hornady has sold more than 24,000 LNL AP progressive presses since 1997? I started a thread over on THR asking folks with LNLs to post their serial numbers and when they bought their presses. The last person to reply indicated he bought his last week and his serial number was over 24,000. That's a lot of presses folks, so there must be a heck of a lot of customers satisfied with the Hornady LNL.

I don't know what is wrong with Pete's priming system, and I don't want to be unfair to Pete, but I cannot help bust suspect that I could figure it out if I had it in front of me. Then again, Pete may be a long time user of the press and know more about it than I, so fogive me Pete for thinking without knowing that I may know more about the LNL than you. I did not mean to be condescending in any way.

I have had my LNL AP since they first came out in 1997, and mine works like a charm. The only part I ever replaced was a shell plate spring which Hornady sent me along with an extra one at no charge. I have yet to use the extra spring. Over the years of production, Hornady has made some changes to the priming system, the finished case kicker, and the powder measure. My press is all original - no changes made to mine. From the first day I got the press, I took a lot of time learning what happened at each station and how it was supposed to happen.

My primer mechanism did not work correctly at first, but I figured it out. I learned that certain adjustments have to made to insure the primer shuttle works just right. I learned that it had to be clean, and I learned to put a wood dowel atop the primers in the tube so the last two primers would feed into the shuttle.

I can't tell what is wrong with Pete's machine yet, but someone else may just know what it is and help him fix it. Your posts did nothing in any constructive way to help him. I would also suggest Pete contact a Hornady tech, and if worse comes to worse, Hornady will fix it for him under warranty.

Let's keep in mind the idea of supporting our forum members rather than ragging on them because you don't like what they bought.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 19, 2010, 07:47 PM   #8
hightide

Dave,

Amen!
Old January 19, 2010, 08:14 PM   #9
floydster

Hey, Madison, boy we got ragged on big time, now if I could get the priming system to working on my LNL I would be happy.
I have many posts on this.
Peace to everyone.
Floyd
Old January 20, 2010, 09:25 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey Floydster,

I don't know where you live, but if it were anywhere near my home in Mechanicsburg, PA, you would be very welcome to come on over with your press, and we would see if we can get things working properly. I have been helped by others over the years, and I have also given help to others. It is the best way to figure out what is going on in the reloading craft. I sincerely suggest you try to find someone near you who owns and uses a LNL successfully to help you work things out. Look for such folks by asking around at your local gun clubs.

I am back home again from Florida, so if anyone near me needs some help, just let me know. Your are welcome.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 20, 2010, 11:23 PM   #11
Rod38um

Pete, did you change out the (1)primer slide (2) The tube and (3) the seater punch? If so, the next question is: Are your primer pockets crimped? It sounds more like crimped primer pockets than anything else..........
Old January 21, 2010, 12:01 AM   #12
Bronco4me

Did you ensure there is no primer shavings or powder residue where the ram face and primer shuttle assembly meet? All it takes is a sliver to start crunching primers. I use a steel awl or scribe and run it around the area when I start shaving primers.

Another thing that can cause your issue is having a small chip on the left pawl. When your press "locked up" did you lean on the handle a little? If you did, you can probably remedy your problem by turning your left pawl adjuster 1/8 of a turn clockwise or counter clockwise. Depending on the fracture you may need to replace the pawl if you can't keep the press timed.