The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
rburch

XS 24/7 Big Dot sights on a CZ-75

I really like the look of the XS 24/7 Big Dot sights. I'd like to put a set on my CZ-75.

The XS web sight says installation requires Filing Front Sight To Accept Cross Pin-CZ-0002S-5-

Anybody know exactly what this involves?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 24, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
PDXGS

I have installed an XS front sight on a S&W J frame which requires the same filing and cross pinning.
Basically, some front sights sit in a trough that runs the direction of the bore. The front sight sits in this trough and is cross-pinned with a roll pin. It's a good practice to have a new roll pin and the proper punch so that you can remove the current cross pin and replace it with a new one. Yu'll also need a measure device to accurately measure the new cross pin and a cutting device to cut it to the correct length. You may also have to file the bottom of the sight to make sure it sits at the proper depth-the same depth that the stock sight sits at. You can use a file to do the coarse filing than can to a wetstone to finish the finer filing. To measure the height of the sight and the roll pin I used a set of dial calipers. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off disk to cut the roll pin. You can get the roll pin puches and a decent brass and plastic hammer at any Sportsman's Warehouse or online at Midway or Brownell's. I use a thick piece of leather to lay the gun on when I do the hammering...most Michaels crafts store have leather scraps and most cobblers, custom leather clothiers or saddlery shops have bigger pieces that you can use a gun map. XS also suggested some LocTite. I used a Red permanent version.
All in all it sounds mre complicated that it really is but it's worth doing slowly and correctly.

Last edited by PDXGS; December 24, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

rburch,
You may want to reconsider using the big dot sights. They are a very poor choice for a sight if any type of accuracy work is required. When it comes to most senerios in defense shooting you don't even need sights on a gun.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 27, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Creature

wow...I so disagree with everything you just wrote.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:04 PM   #5
rhoggman

I was just about to mention that the big dot would probably decrease accuracy. The only reason it really matters in this case is that the CZ 75 series are so accurate. I would not do it... on a J frame snubbie I think it would be great.
Old July 13, 2009, 06:48 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Mr. Hunter

I agree.

My experience with them (on an M20 Glock) suggested they were not for me.
They are not for every set of eyes.

I most highly recommend a professional experienced pistolsmith be found for installing sights on CZ and clones.