The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

German mil. arms restoration.

I don't know if any know about these, but thought I'd share a vendor I found, who has German Mil. or Nazi steel stamps, to clean up buggered ones that are almost gone, when doing a restoration. I have nothing involved with the seller, only that I may order one myself, for some pistol restorations. The guy sells them off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/fudosan1/m.h...p2047675.l2562
Old March 23, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

E-Bay is an evil, anti-firearm ownership empire that directly funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Buying or selling anything there gives money to said people.
Old March 23, 2015, 09:34 PM   #3
mwells72774

These are also used to make forgeries
Old March 24, 2015, 07:05 AM   #4
psalm7

I do not have a copy with me to look at , but there is a add in Shot Gun News that sales such items to restore stampings . They advetise alot of WW2 Axis items .
Old March 24, 2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Winchester proof stamp for barrels, when one is worn, or needs polished down to remove pitting. Numrich had a bunch of these at one time, and I think they came from Winchester.
Old March 25, 2015, 07:19 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Winchester proof stamps would not be a problem, but some of those German markings can add thousands of dollars to the value of the gun, so fake ones are a serious concern to collectors.

Jim
Old March 25, 2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Jim, of course someone unscrupulous could use them for something else, but the seller has more than Nazi stamps, such as the barrel stamps for the 98 Mauser, and if I recall, caliber, etc. In other words, pretty much every stamp that one would need for a mil. gun to be brought back from polishing away the pitting, etc. that is on some military arms.

It would be a no-no to use the Winchester stamp on a blank barrel, as a proof too. Of course, those wouldn't have the name, etc. on them. I or any other professional gunsmith wouldn't use such to mark a fake, if we are to be considered a professional.
Old March 26, 2015, 10:41 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately, not everyone is that scrupulous. Another stamp commonly sold for "restoration" and used for fakes is the inspection cartouche stamp for M1 rifles. Since replacement stocks didn't have the cartouche and its presence indicates an original stock adding lots of bucks to the price, stamps like SA/GHS are often seen at gun shows.

Jim