The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 22, 2001, 11:13 PM   #1
JLS

Help! I need some advice about a Superposed

I went to a Gun Show this weekend with a pistol I didn't like and ran into an individual with a shotgun that he didn't like so we traded. He got a $550 pistol and a $100 and I got what I thought was a very nice Browning Citori. Before this weekend I didn't know what a Superposed was.

When I got home I did a little research I found that I had bought a 1933 (or so) 12 guage Superposed in outstanding condition. I has a four digit serial number (4XXX), dual triggers, vent rib and is as tight as a new one.

So now comes my dilema. I bought what I thought was going to be my new dove hunting shotgun. Now, do I charge forward and subject this sort of firearm to mesquite thorns, prickley pear, dirt and sweat or should it reside in my safe until I die so my heirs can trade it for a pistol at a gun show?

I will be greatful for any information on the shotgun and advice on its ultimate fate. I've added a link to a couple of pictures of it. Naturally, the pictures don't do it justice.

Thanks, Jim

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...864&a=13529259
Old July 23, 2001, 12:13 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

If you right on the year, looks like a standard grade.....in nice shape..........books around 1,500-1,800, however the recoil pad could take a bit off. Even the stock recoil pads are a negative unless in perfect condition. Bone butt plate would be the best for bucks but not for shootin a lot. I think you got a goodie sir.

Sam
Old July 23, 2001, 06:07 AM   #3
Dan Morris

Simply enjoy it and be careful with it. Even at it's age, it will last for several generations.
Dan
Old July 23, 2001, 06:45 AM   #4
K80Geoff

Shoot It!!!

Guns like this were made to be shot, take it out to the field and use it! Belgian Brownings are quality guns that are a step above the common citori models.

Unless you completely abuse it and destroy it will last a couple of lifetimes. Also guns like this are easily restored to like new condition. You can always get your money back out of a gun like this, especially since it appears you got a bargain.

It might be a good idea to have a competent double gun gunsmith look it over to make sure there are no hidden problems. He will also be able to tell you if all the parts are original and if the gun has been worked on.

Geoff Ross
Old July 23, 2001, 08:10 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good advice so far, here's some more.....

Like has been said, they're made to be shot. JM Browning designs are so overbuilt that most simply cannot be worn out by one generation of shooter.

I'd have a good smith take a look at it simply because it's a good idea on any older shotgun. Once he/she OKs it, hit the range and see how it shoots. My guess is that it'll make you smile a lot.
Old July 23, 2001, 09:23 PM   #6
JLS

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I intend to follow all of it. I've never liked the idea of owning a firearm that I was reluctant to take out of the safe and shoot. This one did spook me just a bit, though. Now, I'll bird hunt with it and someday hand it down to my 15 month old Grandson...when he's about 40.

Jim
Old July 23, 2001, 10:36 PM   #7
MiniZ

Shoot It!!!! Since it wasn't 100% when you bought it, I don't think you can decrease the value much by shooting it(unless you abuse it, but I know that a TFL member would never do such a thing). Enjoy it, I know your son will down the road.

Zane