The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 3, 2000, 11:19 AM   #1
LASur5r

Anyone have experience with Safariland equipment? Especially, concealment holsters, IWB holsters?

I haven't heard too much about the quality, usuability, retention, smoothness of draw/ Anybody have any opinions?
Old October 3, 2000, 11:51 AM   #2
manny1

It use to be a top of the line product when they used natural leather (pre 1990)to make them. Now they make their safarilam platiccrap & most do not hold up very well to everyday use. Where on a natural leather holster, if you scuff it, you can usually touch it up. On the platiccrap, you have a scuff on it for its life. I don't know if their IWB are still made from suede leather or not. I buy Bianchi or any other brands (G&G, Tex Shoemaker,Desantis,Aker) that are made of all natural leather. A good quality natural leather holster will last a lifetime of use. Hope this info helps.
Old October 4, 2000, 11:03 PM   #3
blades67

I have used a 2004 thigh holster for my SIG Sauer P220 & P226 for almost four years now. It has been a great rig. My only complaint is that it has only one leg strap, I prefer two to prevent the holster from moving on the leg as much. My experience has been that you have to try hard to put deep scratches on the holster, then you have look for them.
I also like their convertible paddle holster idea, but I don't have one yet.
BTW, I think manny1 has a case of "ionlylikeleatheritus".

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old October 5, 2000, 02:32 PM   #4
manny1

I've been dealing with firearms & holsters for over 15 years, so I do believe that I am alittle more knowledgable than the average person when it comes to guns, leather & holsters. LASur5r asked for an opinion (which I gave) & as an added Plus, I get a smarta$$ comment from a guy that owns 1 whole holster. Guess that makes you the "holster expert" blades67? If you are such the holster expert, why haven't you added another strap to that thigh holster to make it more stable? You've put up with this problem for 4 yrs without correcting it? You really do know what your talking about.

------------------
Old chinese proverb: Life's tough enough. It's even tougher when your stupid. No offense given & none taken.
Old October 6, 2000, 03:34 PM   #5
anti-disarmist

manny1...

You might want to update your "Chinese" (not chinese) saying to say "you're" (contraction of you are, not your).
Old October 6, 2000, 05:38 PM   #6
houndawg

manny1,

15 years does not make you an expert either. I own and use Safariland Safarilam duty equipment every day. I've yet to have a single problem with it. It seems almost impossible to scuff during normal everyday abuse. BTW, Blade67 never said he only owned 1 holster.
Old October 7, 2000, 12:35 PM   #7
manny1

?

[This message has been edited by manny1 (edited October 07, 2000).]
Old October 7, 2000, 12:36 PM   #8
manny1

Well, I guess I'll have to tell all my past & future holster & leather customers to contact hounddawg for their leather needs, because he is a more knowledgable expert on the subject. Seeing as your a prison guard, don't they usually provide you with all your equipment (no holster of course, as they do not allow prison guards the right to carry all the time, only sticks), so you probably never had to purchase you own out of pocket. I'm also a retired Police officer & do know what brands do hold up to everyday street use & what doesn't. And Safariland plasticrap just didn't cut it. Plus I purchased every part of my duty equipment from my pocket, nothing was given to me. All my Leather still looks the same as the day I bought it. There are experts everywhere, some know what their talking about, some only give opinions. Anti- thanks for the quick English lesson.
Old October 7, 2000, 09:01 PM   #9
PKN

I have a Safariland speed-rig(010 with belt..ect) for IPSC. I love the somewhat ugly thing. A large majority of IPSC shooters use Safariland stuff, so it can't be all bad. Mine's fast. I can only speak to the quality of my stuff, but it's impecable.
Old October 8, 2000, 01:38 AM   #10
blades67

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by manny1:
...LASur5r asked for an opinion (which I gave) & as an added Plus, I get a smarta$$ comment from a guy that owns 1 whole holster. Guess that makes you the "holster expert" blades67? If you are such the holster expert, why haven't you added another strap to that thigh holster to make it more stable? You've put up with this problem for 4 yrs without correcting it? You really do know what your talking about.
[/quote]

manny1 - Allow me to address some of your comments.
<LI>"LASur5r asked for an opinion (which I gave) & as an added Plus, I get a smarta$$ comment from a guy that owns 1 whole holster.

First, I also gave LASur5r an opinion. Just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean it's a smart@ss comment. (That came at the end of my post and was in jest.) Also, you assume that I only have one holster. (That's your bad because you don't know anything about me.) I also own a competition rig, but he wasn't asking about those.

<LI>"Guess that makes you the 'holster expert' blades67?"

I don't know where you got that idea, I never made any such claim or comment. As I said, I gave an opinion. (That you disagree with.)

<LI>"If you are such the holster expert,..."

Please refer to the above response.

<LI>"...why haven't you added another strap to that thigh holster to make it more stable? You've put up with this problem for 4 yrs without correcting it?"

Again you assume too much and you misquote me. I said my only "complaint" was only having one leg strap. I did not say it was a problem. If it was a problem, I would have resolved it by adding a second leg strap. Since it is a minor issue that does not affect the serviceability of my holster I have chosen to leave it as it is.

<LI>"You really do know what your talking about."

Well, on this last point I have to say you are correct.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old October 8, 2000, 07:27 AM   #11
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Gentlemen let’s not allow a discussion of holsters to get heated.

Agreeing with each other is not required, however, civility is.

The tone of this thread is as close to the edge as I will allow.

Keep the discussion on the gear and the “what and whys” of your opinions about it.

SE
Old October 8, 2000, 08:20 AM   #12
houndawg

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by manny1:
Seeing as your a prison guard, don't they usually provide you with all your equipment (no holster of course, as they do not allow prison guards the right to carry all the time, only sticks), so you probably never had to purchase you own out of pocket.[/quote]

No, the Illinois Department of Corrections doesn't supply any of our duty gear since we aren't required to wear a duty belt. I've bought every piece of duty gear I own out of my own pocket. Some of my gear is leather, but some is, as you call it, Safaricrap. I chose Safariland because some of their gear suited my tastes more than other brands. None of my Safariland gear has a single scratch on it, even after hard use. BTW, if you are a retired police officer, like you said, and all of your leather duty gear looks the same as the day you bought it, then you must have spent your career sitting at a desk.

No, I'm not a holster or leather expert, but I've done quite a bit of research on products to aid in my own purchases. Just because someone contradicts one of your opinions does not automatically make them a so called expert. Neither does 15 years of whatever you did automatically make you the supreme authority on the subject.

[This message has been edited by houndawg (edited October 08, 2000).]
Old October 8, 2000, 08:30 AM   #13
motorep

I use the 5181 paddle holster- have two actually, for two different sized 1911s- and a Safariland IPSC rig. Well made, usable stuff. I also have holsters from other manufacturers, but seeing that the question was about Safariland, I'll leave it there. Safariland seems to be a good company that offers good products.