The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2010, 10:13 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lavid, one cardinal sin of TFL rules is to boast of methods to skirt any firearms related laws and regs... goes for huntin' rules and the rule you speak of is a FEDERAL LAW... So lets just say you found an error in the gun design and intend to make sure you don't accidentally overload the mag in the waterfowl field Capiche?
Ghost loading for HD is all fine and good but is not something you need to do to skirt the 2+1 fed rule. It is easy enuff to get used to holding 2 rounds 'tween fingers for rapid tube refill.
Brent
Old January 19, 2010, 08:12 AM   #27
Morgoroth

Just thought about this after reading the thread, but is it illegal to have more than a 2+1 capacity, or is it illegal to load more than 2+1?
Old January 19, 2010, 11:19 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The fire arm is not supposed to hold in excess of 3 rounds total... If it holds 4 you are in violation even if the weapon is empty...
Brent
Old January 19, 2010, 11:24 AM   #29
zippy13

Can you spell P-L-U-G ?

If you extend the mag, get a longer plug. Brent, I'm I missing something?
Old January 19, 2010, 11:35 AM   #30
Morgoroth

Thanks, I almost threw that dowel away.
It is 5 for everything but fed-protected waterfowl so I will leave it out for squirrel etc.
Old January 19, 2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Lavid2002

I dont know what your talking about...I never posted anything about my gun holding 4 rounds : )
Old January 19, 2010, 07:51 PM   #32
lambertsteeth

Lavid,
I'm glad you're making headway with your shotgun. If you're comfy with the gun and it's reliable, that what really matters. If you can hit targets with a broomstick, others with expensive shotguns will envy you when you outshoot them.
With that said, if you ever invest in another auto, check into a Benelli. I've had numerous autos, of several manufacturers. The Benelli is by far the most reliable I have ever owned. To go a step farther, many of my fellow clays shooters and hunters are finding the same thing. One of my Benellis has over 20,000 rounds through it with no mechanical issues. The only failures I have had with this gun were ammo failures. (on the clays course I shoot some crappy ammo) I have another Benelli with about 6500 through it. Same reliability. I bought these two guns used, so I don't know what was through them before me. I have intentionally shot my first Benelli for over a year without cleaning the internals, with no problems. They are the Ak 47s of the shotgun world.
I have a duck hunter friend who dropped his in the river. He fished it out, dumped the water out, and kept hunting.
I own pumps, o/u s, and as I said before, have had many autos. I am thoroughly impressed with Benelli.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:50 PM   #33
Lavid2002

this thing rusts like crazy im going to paint it soonnn
Old January 20, 2010, 06:52 AM   #34
Morgoroth

Quote: this thing rusts like crazy im going to paint it soonnn

I always wondered if you could do that. What kind of paint would you use?
I have an old .22 that has that problem.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:07 PM   #35
Lavid2002

I made a video of it ill show you the link later...worked great on my other gun
Old January 21, 2010, 10:06 PM   #36
foghorn leghorn

Lavid,
There is a breakin period for that shotgun. You need to fire 100 rds of [over] 1oz shells at the proper gas settings. You sound like you just broke it in, it's all gravy from here on out.
I have the Remington SPR453, it is the baikal MP 153 semi made by sparton arms. BTW Able Ammo has one for $308.00 right now.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=113820
It is a gun that will keep on trucking, just like an AK47. Check youtube, there are videos of the baikal having frozen mud dumped on the port and then rapid fire 8 rounds (with mag ext).
I think you had some light field loads and a new gun. I have a Citori 12 ga O/U, and it is by far the best skeet gun I ever fired.
I have a remington 11-87, has a reputation for jamming. or not ejecting, but usually on light loads. I use mine for buckshot, and slugs.
I have the beretta AL391 , in synthetic. What can I say, it's a Beretta.
My most reliable shotgun, Ive had since 1972. An Ithaca model 37. I have 2 barrels, and it is a pump, so cycling isn't a problem. It shoots anything I put in it, but it only takes 2 3/4.
It all depends on what you want to do with it, and money doesn't a better gun make.
A great gun that's neglected won't last either, or make you proud.

Last edited by foghorn leghorn; January 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 22, 2010, 10:10 PM   #37
Lavid2002

I think im gunna paint this one an olive drabb color instead of a black like my other shotguns...more to come : )
Old January 23, 2010, 12:17 AM   #38
Lavid2002

as promised http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SXdUPbewuk
Old February 3, 2010, 02:10 PM   #39
Lavid2002

Not gunna lie..heres the honest range results....

Duck season is over and I went shooting today. Got through a whole box with no malfunctions. Made it through half of another box then I had about 5 or 6 fail to ejects in a row. Then I had no more failure to ejexts through the whole day (1 more box) but I did have a bunch of FTF's where the dog wouldnt raise the shotshell up and the bolt would close on an empty chamber.

Ill clean it up and adjust the gas tube. I think the bolt if FLINGING back...smacking the back of the receiver and snapping shut too quickly for
A-the shell to completely extract
B-The dog to raise and the lip of the brass to catch on the bolt

Ill video tape in slo-mo and well see whats wrong >: )

Love this gun though im starting to hit hard with it