The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
willeyumm

Savage shotgun 720 semi auto?

I recently bought a 12 gauge Savage shotgun model 720 semi auto. There is a button on the side that I have to push in to load the shells. I have to hold that button down to while I cock it to chamber each shell each time. I thought that this gun was semi automatic and would self load each new shell. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:50 PM   #2
buymore

that doesn't sound right to me. The 720 is basically the same exact gun as the Remington Model 11. You load into the magazine tube on the bottom and use the button to release the action to load the first round out of the magazine. I can't remember if I have to push the button in to load rounds into the magazine? You do use the button to release the bolt into battery if you lock it open or when it locks open on the last round fired. It is semi auto, once you load the magazine and one in the chamber, it should cycle the next round semi auto. Go to Remington' website and see if you can download a Model 11 manual. Should cover all you questions.

also, try www.shotgunworld.com There are specific forums broken down into manufacturers. Good site!
Old February 1, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
oletymer

Those guns are fairly old. Did you give a good take down cleaning and lubrication when you got it. Dirt and old dryed out lube is the curse of semi autos.
Old February 4, 2009, 08:04 AM   #4
dropthehammer

Some autoloaders have a magazine lock on the side of the receiver that when engaged, stops the shells in the magazine from feeding into the chamber so you can change the shell in the chamber without having to completely unload the magazine. I have owned a few of these Savages and they are great guns. I just can't remember if they have a magazine lock or not. A picture of the receiver would help.
Old February 4, 2009, 08:54 AM   #5
whitebb

Everything is normal. My 720 has a all steel reciever and does that. I cleaned it up and serviced it, tested for function and it is OK. I need to duracoat mine. Remington 870 mag extensions thread on if you are interested.

Tags
720 , savage , shotgun