The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Freebies :)

Just went to check out a local good ole boy gun shop. Just a mom and pop ran place. I went in and asked if they had a black powder pistol measure. He said I sure do son, he then reached in his desk drawer and pulled out a brass adjustable measure that goes to 50 grains in 5 grain increments. I said thank you how much do I owe you. He said " put it in your pocket son, and happy shootin"
Old January 17, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2
mojo55

That's the way it used to be. He's a REAL salesman not one driven by greed alone. Go back and buy something later so he can keep the doors open.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Oh I will, He has a shipment of powder coming in. So I'm gonna go get a few pounds of it even if it is a few bucks more.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
shortwave

This is the very reason I prefer to do business with an independent, small LGS rather then a 'big box' , chain owned store.
The service is so much more personable and IMO, very much worth the few extra pennies it costs.

If I know what I want, I call where I deal and tell John my list. When I get there, my items are usually setting in a bag behind the counter. Name on bag.

Too, John will go to great lengths to acquire the specific 'oddball' shooting(firearm/archery/hunting/fishing) supplies I may want that he doesn't normally stock.

Then there's the proven trustworthy info. John will share which I have found to be worth more then the bit of extra $ he charges versus the big box stores.

I could go on but you get the pics.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Logan5579

Now thats the way to gain a long term payin customer!
Old January 17, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Absolutely Shortwave, The old fella has my business, and was a good way to get me to come back. He told me he could get anything I want. So I will just buy from him and support the small guy. I'm kinda lucky I have two of these type gun shops near my house. I'm getting ready to go check out the second one I've found. They have percussion caps in stock so I'm gonna go see if they are still reasonably priced.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Pahoo

Can't beat; Old-School

Quote:
They have percussion caps in stock so I'm gonna go see if they are still reasonably priced.
Has to be better than dealing with the snobs at Gander Mountain and paying $7.50 for a tin of #11's.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 17, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Beagle333

I was in my Gander Mountain today and they want $4.59 for #10s and #11s. The local "Old Man owned gun store" wanted $7.29 for em.

Our Gander Mtn is new (just opened right before Christmas) and it doesn't have the best prices ever seen, but our LGS never had bp competition before. Academy Sports won't carry anything bp. Bass Pro is 65 miles away, and they usually get about $5± for caps. It was the best option before Gander opened ('long as I was over that way anyhow).

The nearest Cabelas to me is two states away.

(Oh... and our new Gander Mtn does boast about having 5,000 guns on display, but you don't wanna buy a gun there. Whoah!)
Old January 17, 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
deerslayer303

Yeah Gander Mtn is just that I'll go in there and "Gander" at there prices Both Gander Mtn and Bass Pro are in Ktown, so I'll stop in there on my way to South Kakalaki and get my fix, rarely do I buy anything, cept maybe a cup of coffee. But the second mom and pop place I went to was at there residence. The basement/garage is turned into the gun shop its really neat, they have the double doors down there and all. No one was there so I could just look in the window, must have had to go to the grocery store love it I'll go back tomorrow.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:50 AM   #10
10851Man

I always shop the locals first....

Trouble is, BP is just overlooked out here. I am lucky to even find balls!!!!

Last edited by 10851Man; January 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM.