The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2010, 11:07 PM   #26
Mr Lucky

Quote:
I bought my 870 strictly for home defense it came with a factory grip
The issue is not with a fore-grip, either factory or after market. It is with the Cruiser types that do not have a rear stock, only a pistol type grip. The controversy as I understand it, is that An ATF official apparently advised that a Shotgun with a barrel length of 17" and an overall length of 26.25" fell under CGA, not NFA and is neither a Rifle or a Shotgun. Rather it is classified under the broad heading of "any other Weapon."

The 17" barrel is what is in question.

— Abraham Lincoln
Old November 24, 2010, 12:01 AM   #27
silvercorvette

Quote:
The issue is not with a fore-grip, either factory or after market. It is with the Cruiser types that do not have a rear stock, only a pistol type grip.
The gun is right next to me but I don't have a tape measure to measure OAL. With the rear stock folded it is essentially a shotgun without a rear stock

EDITI took some measurements, length with stock folded is 29 inches, barrel length seems to be the shortest legal length 18 inches

Last edited by silvercorvette; November 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old November 24, 2010, 08:47 PM   #28
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
The 17" barrel is what is in question.
The 17" barrel is a mistake, typo, boo-boo, error. Minimum barrel length for a non-NFA shotgun is 18".

Remember, this is the group that classified a shoestring to be a machinegun. I got a letter to prove it.

NRA Life Member
Old November 24, 2010, 09:00 PM   #29
Mr Lucky

Quote:
Remember, this is the group that classified a shoestring to be a machinegun. I got a letter to prove it.
I ave not seen that one. Would you mind scanning and posting it?

— Abraham Lincoln
Old November 24, 2010, 09:20 PM   #30
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Would you mind scanning and posting it?

NRA Life Member
Old November 24, 2010, 09:40 PM   #31
Mr Lucky

Hkmp5sd,

That makes two. Thanks for sharing the letter.
I'd like to see how the shoestring trick actually works.
If a shoestring 14" long, looped at each end is sold as a gun part, apparently ATF would consider it contraband. I wonder if these ATF opinions ever get retracted and corrected or amended.

— Abraham Lincoln
Old November 24, 2010, 10:19 PM   #32
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
I wonder if these ATF opinions ever get retracted and corrected or amended.
Yep.

NRA Life Member
Old November 24, 2010, 10:57 PM   #33
Mr Lucky

Hkmp5sd,

I notice the date stamp of 2007 on the clarification letter.

The attempt to clarify the original opinion is reassuring to the extent that I can legally posses shoestrings.

The clarification as it is worded however is specific only regarding shoestrings. It might have been more meaningful if the clarification addressed "any" device. a bungee cord, a lever, etc. to enhance cycling of the firearm, the exception being the use of one's finger to pull a trigger.

— Abraham Lincoln