The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 6, 2015, 01:43 PM   #1
DealHunter

Current (2014-15) "Marlin" quality?

I've been wanting to pick up a 1895 SBL (fancy stainless) or 1895 GS (standard stainless) in 45-70 for some time now, have always been on the lookout for a used JM model but to no avail...

Anyone able to comment on the current quality of the newer Remlin versions of these models (made in 2014-2015)? For a long time there was a "don't bother" attitude in reviews after the takeover of Marlin but I was wondering if they had finally cleaned up their act and started making decent products again.

I have a fair few "older" Marlins (70s-80s) that I really like but in this case if quality has improved I wouldn't be opposed to stop looking for a used model and buy new.

Thanks for any info!
Old February 6, 2015, 03:30 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Coming back, as models are re-engineered & new processes brought on line.
Denis
Old February 6, 2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Drm50

New Marlin 1895s

I live in Ohio where new deer season for limited rifle cals. Just went through
1st trail. The news didn't get out among the public until late. Most guys ended
up with 45/70s. The Marlin 1895 was a big seller. I had several guys bring
them out to get scoped and bore sighted. I have a 1895 that was out of 1st
batch back in early 70s. Believe me there is no comparison! New guns were
gritty, poorly finished and not to accurate. 3" with factory loads was about
average. I will point out that 3 of them were the short Guide version. I was
pestered for weeks to sell or trade mine. No Thanks, maybe Rem. will fix or
upgrade the 1895, but I have feeling it will not be up to standards of the old
models. My advice look for old model, and do it fast, they are on edge of being
collector items.
Old February 7, 2015, 05:37 AM   #4
mete

As long as the public keeps buying by price instead of value or quality , quality will continue to go down.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:30 AM   #5
mehavey

An admitted re-post of mine, but still relevant here:

Since I actually HAVE one (a RemLin 45-70 GBL), I'll weigh in.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45...ml#post1065588

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the FWIW column: I picked up a Remlim GBL about two months ago. (actually May`12 now)

- I like the laminate stock work they did (so did several of the "old guys" amongst my Range Officers)
- I like the oversize lever loop design (as compared to my 39A and `94)
- I like the absolutely flawless feeding of those big 45-70 cases.... smoothest I've ever felt... fast or slow
- I wasn't too keen on the 8½ lb trigger, so I HappyTriggered & re main-springed it to 3½
- The stock iron sights weren't too bad, but I put a WilliamsFP peep on it to establish load preferences.
- (then my mid 60's eyes finally said "...put a lo-pwr Leupold on it, stupid...."

- Finally, I like the way it puts lead (real cast heavy lead) downrange:

Other than the above, I have no strong opinion.
Old February 7, 2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Guv

^Good to see this, I hope Marlins future is bright.
Old February 7, 2015, 04:04 PM   #7
badlander

I looked over the one in A local shop recently. It looked very good. The checkering could be better but overall much better than early remlins I have looked at.
Old February 7, 2015, 06:03 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

They're working on the laser machines, trying to get better checkering on the wood.
Denis
Old February 8, 2015, 12:04 AM   #9
steveNChunter

I wish they would start chambering the 336 in .35 rem again, and offer a straight stock on the 336.

I love my '59 model 336 "Texan" in .35 and would like to have a new one with the same stock design and chambering to sit beside it.

I'll probably just have to keep wishing...

Last edited by steveNChunter; February 8, 2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old February 14, 2015, 04:58 PM   #10
tahoe2

New Marlin's ?

Seeing as Marlin dropped the 338 ME they should introduce a 35/358 Marlin Express with Hornady's LeverEvolution bullets and powder in the XLR rifle. I think it would catch on.
As for the performance and reliability of new Marlins, all the ones I've seen at the range, (only 3) an 1894 in 44 mag, a 308 ME in the XLR and an 1895 in 45-70, they all performd well,
grouped well and looked good; as in fit and finish.
They were all worthy of the Marlin moniker in my opinion. Since I don't own any of those, nor did I shoot them, my experience with them is limited, but general appearances was good in my opinion.
I do own a couple of JM Marlin's in 375 Winchester and 30-30, so I know what a good one is.
Old February 14, 2015, 06:01 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

They do have plans for some fun stuff coming up, including one or two caliber surprises.

It's a slow process, but they're trying.
Denis
Old February 19, 2015, 06:25 PM   #12
THORN74

I've got a 1895gbl I picked up in June 2014. It was brand new, and in great shape. I had been eyeing one for several years. Knowing the troubles Remington was having I was in a holding pattern, waiting for the kinks to be worked out.

Looked it over for all the usual issues. Everything looked Good. The action cycled very smoothly for a new gun.

My only "complaint" would be the poor pressed checkering on the stocks. It has no bite at all. But its to be expected from that kind of process. Mine was on par with all others I had seen.

I love it! Slapped a skinner peep sight on it and a Montana leather sling. She is a great gun.

IMHO Remington has gotten its act together
Old February 19, 2015, 08:32 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's laser cut & they're supposed to be working on that.
Denis
Old February 19, 2015, 08:45 PM   #14
98 220 swift

I bought a guide gun late last year. It may have been made in 2013-14. So far it cycles great. It was a little gritty but some time with some light grit sandpaper took care of that. The stock fitment is the biggest problem I see. It just doesn't fit around the receiver very well. The finish on the stock is not very attractive. The stock looks like it would be very nice with a oil finish on it. Which I plan to do at some time in the short future. Accuracy has been pretty good. Still doing load development. I bought a cabelas lever action scope for it tonight so that may help with the load work. So far I am happy with it.
Old February 19, 2015, 10:12 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

The wood-to-metal fit has been a major issue, but they're also working on that & the .357 from last June I borrowed was infinitely better than the .357 I borrowed three years ago.
Denis