The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 16, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Derius_T

A Real Good Knife

Sorry mods if I posted this in the wrong area, but didn't see where else it would fit.

I am looking for a good, muti-purpose, fixed-bladed knife. Something along the style of the ka-bar maybe. I am not really up on new knife technology, and want something tough. Something that will hold a great edge, and won't rust. I want something that can double as a pry bar, digging tool, hammer, WHATEVER I need it for, without having to worry about it breaking, chipping, ect. Can anyone point me in a good direction?

The post isn't exactly firearms related, sorry, but this forum is my best source for an educated answer.
Old January 17, 2008, 01:02 AM   #2
grey sky

Buck 110 about as tough as I need, kind of heavy and thick but a work horse.
many to chose from, one tends to end up with a drawer full, trying to find "the one"
not to worry they make good trade goods and spur of the moment gifts my nephews
are always hapy with a knife of any kind
Old January 17, 2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Unregistered

Knives are for cutting, not for chopping, hammering, digging, or prying. There is no knife that I know of that can do all those things without chipping or breaking. If you don't treat the blade with a certain degree of respect, its going to quit being a knife and start being a mangled piece of steel.

I guess the best thing would just to buy something cheap, and replace it after you have abused it beyond the point of usability.
Old January 17, 2008, 01:25 AM   #4
wolfmann

Any knife used for prying will most likely snap the tip off,a tanto blade is good but will still break.
As a hammer goes you are gona use the butt of the knife not the blade.
Everything will rust,saltwater will do a number on the blade no matter what finish you get,clean your knife!
Very sharp blades are common,holding a edge is relative to what your cutting with it,you WILL have to sharpen it no matter what.
Caution some blades are brittle that have VERY sharp blades,they also lose that sharpness quickly.
You didnt say anything about blade length or size/wieght ,along with price range so i cant help you there.
You might look at the cold steel sight and look at the bowies they offer.
Are you willing to pay big bucks for a quality knife that you will make look like a demolition car if you use it like you say you are?
Dont mean to be harsh just the reality of whats out there.
Old January 17, 2008, 03:06 AM   #5
BamaBowtie

Masters of Defense are made for that and more, but be prepared topay for them.

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.a...art=&priceend=
Old January 17, 2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Buzzcook

You might want to look at dive knives.
http://www.scubanetwork.com/scuba/de...s&dept_id=4500

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-30/Knives-Knives.html

Dive knives are designed to poke rocks with so they're pretty sturdy.
Old January 17, 2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Derius_T

Thanks for all the responses, I will check them all out.

The thing is, I don't really care about price, but I don't want to pay more than my carry rig for a knife.

But I understand knives, and their use and care, I just want one that will stand up to the OCCATIONAL type of abuses that I mentioned. I'm not going to hammer, pry or chop with it as the norm, but I want it to be able to withstand the punishment if need in a survival situation. I mean, what happens if for whatever reason, that knife ends up your only available tool? I want it to perform, and perform hard and well.....maybe I expect too much, but I know such a blade has to exist out there. And as far as blade length, I'd say 6in would be maximum useful length. (maybe too long...?)
Old January 17, 2008, 10:58 AM   #8
The Tourist

Go over to www.striderknives.com and look at the fixed blades over there.

I don't think Mick knows how to make a knife that breaks.
Old January 17, 2008, 12:54 PM   #9
NINE

Also check out http://www.fehrmanknives.com/knives.htm

I recently picked up a "Last Chance". Amazing piece of work! I bought the "satin" model, but you can get a black crinkle finish which would provide much more corrosion resistance.

Blade Size : 5.5" x 1.68" x .25"
Overall Length : 11"
Steel : CPM-3V
Hardness : 57-59 Rc
Handle : Linen Micarta, Cushioned
Standard Cost : $ 240 (Black Crinkle Finish)

http://picasaweb.google.com/Nine204/...ey=6W1lR0NuSb0
Old January 17, 2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Limeyfellow

For most of my fixed blade use, I have a decent khukuri. Then again I do alot of chopping and wood work with mine and work in the garden and camping so the chopping ability is important to me as the cutting ability. Sure its big and heavy, but it's machete type qualities are a big plus for me. I have smaller blades to do other work, but normally find between this and a multitool I am fairly well prepared for most stuff.
Old January 17, 2008, 04:37 PM   #11
Lawyer Daggit

Think what you want the knife mostly for- 'multi purpose' knives are not really good at anything.

The K-Bar is a fighting knife that will serve double duty as a survival knife. As will something like the Cold Steel SRK neither have much use as butchers tools.

Whereas the Puma White Hunter has the same blade profile as the British Army Wilkinson Sword survival knife, and is an acceptable skinning knife.

Most people go over the top about blade length and the suggestion earlier about the Buck 110 is a very good one- one simply does not need a long blade for most things. The Buck is a good quality knife that will last a life time and do most things anyone has any business doing with a knife. If a fixed blade knife of similar dimension is wanted have a look at the Puma Hunters Pal.

Do yourself a favour- don't use your knife as an alternative to a crow bar or jimmy- you will just snap the tip, and trying to chop with it (other than very selectively) will chip bits off the blade. These activities are 'NO No's to any knife user- if you want to chop invest in a machette or axe.
Old January 17, 2008, 05:27 PM   #12
wun_8_seven

becker
Old January 18, 2008, 02:21 AM   #13
Derius_T

I will look at all the links, thanks tons guys. And Daggit, its not that I want to habitually chop, hammer, or pry with my knife, but if it gets down to it and I NEED to, I want a knife that will hold up, and not leave me holding two pieces the first time I need to use it to open a can or pry on something in an emergency.
Old January 18, 2008, 04:22 PM   #14
sophijo

knife

Becker again
Old January 18, 2008, 04:29 PM   #15
YukonKid

simple question = simple answer

strider knives, they really are the best there is.

please look at this link if you want the toughest knife on the market

http://www.striderknives.com/

regards, yukonkid
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 18, 2008, 04:31 PM   #16
YukonKid

I agree with you Tourist. My strider has never once failed in anything, the only thing is that the stripes have faded to look even more awesome, i have the BN Black
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 18, 2008, 04:42 PM   #17
dairycreek

You mentioned a lot of different knife functions and this outfit came to mind.
http://www.grahamknives.com/theknifemakers.htm

They make a product called a "Razel"
which by sheer chance I have seen. It is one formidable tool and make be just what you are seeking. Well, anyway FYI

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 18, 2008, 11:18 PM   #18
The Tourist

I own a Razel myself. And yes, it lives up to its reputation. If anything, I'm not a straight blade guy, and I seldom use it. When I do, it performs.

Old January 19, 2008, 12:32 AM   #19
azsixshooter

I'd recommend something like Fallkniven F1 but you won't be sorry with a Strider or a Busse. Personally I like my Puma White Hunter. Check out www.knifetests.com to see these and others really put through the paces. They do destruction tests and it's amazing how well some knives can withstand insane abuses designed to specifically ruin a good knife.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old January 19, 2008, 12:37 AM   #20
doc2rn

My personal favorite do all knife is Buck Skinner, I think the # is 109. I have only gone through one in 18 yrs and I just bought my second. Easiest blade I found to keep an edge on, and nearly indestructable.
Old January 19, 2008, 01:53 AM   #21
grey sky

I am glad to see Buck is still in the running guess there is still hope for the old guys
Old January 19, 2008, 04:10 AM   #22
azsixshooter

If you're really serious about choosing a high-end knife you should check out bladeforums.com or someplace like that. If you are planning to make an investment you should do your research in an appropriate place. Not that you haven't gotten good advice here so far, just that there is an almost overwhelming number of options for you to explore in the world of upper-echelon/custom blades. If you were posting on bladeforums.com that you wanted to buy a gun I'd suggest you check out TFL.com.

Or you could just buy that ridiculous new Gil Hibben Rambo 4 knife...$1250.00 lawnmower blade with some 550 cord for a handle :barf:
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
Old January 19, 2008, 01:35 PM   #23
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsixshooter
If you're really serious about choosing a high-end knife you should check out...a hobbyist forum...or someplace like that.
I politely disagree.

I like to debate, but unless some segment of a hobby forum is run by professionals, all you have is singular guys making comments on a singular knife they once owned. For example, I once owned a knife constructed of CPM-440V that chipped if you looked at it sideways. I never bought one again. Such action is simply anecdotal.

Quote:
ridiculous...lawnmower blade with some 550 cord for a handle
Again, I have to disagree. Some "tactical ninja" knives are exactly as you describe. However, those made by Strider are worth every penny. They are designed and built by artisans, you cannot break them (even soldiers report on that), and the alloys used are top shelf.

They are ugly. So is a jeep and a certain automatic pistol I happen to like, designed in 1905.
Old January 19, 2008, 07:22 PM   #24
azsixshooter

Quote:
I like to debate, but unless some segment of a hobby forum is run by professionals, all you have is singular guys making
There ARE professionals at bladeforums.com. Both custom makers and people/reps from larger manufacturers.

Quote:
Again, I have to disagree. Some "tactical ninja" knives are exactly as you describe. However, those made by Strider are worth every penny. They are designed and built by artisans, you cannot break them (even soldiers report on that), and the alloys used are top shelf.
If you actually read my posts you would see that I AGREED with you that Striders ARE excellent knives. Strider didn't have anything to do with that eyesore, over-priced Rambo 4 POS. Also, Striders might be a little pricey, but they certainly aren't $1250. There are people who don't like Strider (the man or his knives) for a variety of reasons. I'm not one of those people. I'm with you man, form follows function. However, I actually kind of appreciate you calling me on giving my unsolicited opinion on that Rambo 4 knife. I certainly don't mean to turn this into any kind of flame war about that knife and I shouldn't have even mentioned it. Some people like it and that's fine. Personally I would rather have 3 Striders for that price, that's all.

I didn't knock your good advice to this guy, you're absolutely right...from what he said he wanted I think that Strider is ONE of the options that would suit him perfectly. But it's just one in a sea of options and there are others out there that will do the job he needs just as well and that he may like better. The price, the looks, the steel choices, whatever. Just like there are great, friendly and super-knowledgeable professionals here there are the same types over at bf.com. I never told him he couldn't get good advice here (in fact, if you read my post I told him that he WAS getting a lot of good advice here)...I'm just offering him (and anyone else) another research tool that he can utilize in maximizing his knife investment dollar that he may not have known about.
Old January 19, 2008, 07:41 PM   #25
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsixshooter
If you actually read my posts you would see that I AGREED with you that Striders ARE excellent knives.
I didn't mean you personally on the observation that many knives are simplistic with cord wrapped handles.

What I did mean is that you could take some of this six-dollar knock-off crap that is flame sprayed and cord wrapped and to some folks it looks like a Strider. Personally, I think Mick should sue or sharpen up a few spay blades.

As for hobbyist forums, be careful. If a columnist signs his name, like Jerry Hossom or Mick and Dwayne, of course, these professionals know and love knives. I am a big fan of Ernie's stuff. Having said that, I'm still amazed at the drek I stumble across on hobby forums.

It's like anything else, do some research. You know, some Hollywood stars have to audition for some key parts. This past week I had to do a demonstration sharpening for two area restaurant chefs. It's not an insult, I like to get to know the mechanic who works on my bike.

If the man or his product do not meet your needs and expectations, you have your answer. Believe it or not, with things as important as your personal health, some intelligent people still do not ask probing questions of their doctors.