The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 13, 2001, 06:26 PM   #1
exilefromhell

Mag light 6 Cell?

Anybody have one or think one would be useful in the house?

Old October 13, 2001, 07:25 PM   #2
Gunslinger45

I keep a 4 D cell in the car, on the floor by the door - drop left hand, there it is. 6 cell looks a little on the large side for a car but Ok for house - give you a couple more inches stand-off so you could get to the artillery.
Old October 13, 2001, 08:25 PM   #3
oneshot1251

All the cops on the forum should be drooling .........

My brother is a deputy sheriff here. Doesn't go anywhere without his 4-cell. Great flashlight but he keeps having to replace it because the BG's keep headbutting the stupid thing.......
Old October 13, 2001, 08:43 PM   #4
exilefromhell

lol!!!!!!!
Old October 14, 2001, 08:09 AM   #5
scouter27

Someone once told me that it is illegal to use anything larger than a 3 cell to hit someone with, as it is concidered a club. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Old October 14, 2001, 01:59 PM   #6
TEXAS LAWMAN

Nothing in the Texas Penal Code re: 3- vs. 4-cell flashlights, or even flashlights per se. In the police academy, we were admonished to not use a flashlight as a club--that's why I carry an ASP and pepper spray. 'Course, if all I had was my Streamlight SL-20X .......
Old October 14, 2001, 09:14 PM   #7
Navy joe

For about a year Maglite made a six cell AA size light, total length was 18'', very handy. Anyone know where to find one?
Old October 15, 2001, 03:18 AM   #8
LASur5r+P

Mag lite

Used to have the big ones in the car all the time...good stand off weapon.

Reason not to use them as a club?

Had a trainee with me one time, we were approaching the home to interview the occupant...front porch was about 100 feet from the front fence/gate. We were about half way on the front lawn, when three german sheperds burst through the screen door, running full out at us.
I looked at the front gate, figured I couldn't outrun the four legged critters, when I heard the tenant yell, "Stay perfectly still! Don't run!"
I had my flashlight out, but I figured I'd gamble and held still. The dogs ran past me but bumped me hard.
The trainee had his five cell maglite out, and he took a swing, hitting the lead dog in the head. Then the head of the light and all the batteries poured out of the shell.
Now the trainee was left holding on to his....shell with all the contents on the ground.

Luckily, the other two dogs looked at the first one, who was walking around in a circle, totally dazed...I think if it was a human, it had a bit of a concussion. Without any noise, the other two turned and ran back into the house. The first one kind of laid there and put its paws on its head as it whimpered.

The tenant didn't file a complaint, but boy was she pi$$%d.

So unless you know that that mag head is on tight...I wouldn't use it as a club. Within that year, we had several other instances where the light lost its head and its contents after the first strike.

If you don't have large hands, you might look at the streamlight version of a long flashlight.

Good luck.
Old October 15, 2001, 09:43 PM   #9
parabellum9x19

6C offers a better grip than the 6D.
Old October 15, 2001, 11:10 PM   #10
shark40sw

I used to have a 4 cell (D). Nice light but a bitch to have to run with. The three cell is much more comfortable, my 6z even more so.
I've also heard the three is a flashlight, 4 cell is a club senario.
Old October 15, 2001, 11:49 PM   #11
LoneStranger

Silly Question??
Why would you hit someone with the head, light emitting, portion of a Maglite?
I have a 3 cell done in my car and in evaluating its use as a flashlight I went to carrying it with the head on the small finger side of my hand. This means that you have to carry it with the battery holding barrel over your shoulder but this allows a better spead of the light on where you are walking plus it does not take much for you to direct light above and around you. Also the balance in your hand is less exerting if carried for a period of time.

Lastly, the amount of time to use as a club is significantly less and you are hitting with the weight and the end that you put the batteries in is less inclined to break.
Old October 16, 2001, 04:48 AM   #12
Gunter

I'll second this method. The light has much more oomph with the battery end (pun intended), holding it closer to eye level reduces shadows and places it in a good position for retention, defense and offense.

Also, the elbow is bent and tucked in to a position of maximum strength. A straight elbow is the weakest upper limb joint, but a bent elbow the strongest, most powerful striking surface.

LAS...: nice example of dog psychology. If it runs away, it is food. It is safe to run in a pack, leaving the alpha male to attack first. If he goes down (especially that fast), it may not be such a good idea to continue the fight. The dogs could not realize the trainee had just broken his weapon...
Old October 16, 2001, 05:09 AM   #13
LASur5r+P

Mag lite

Gunter and L.S.,
Just an example of what could go wrong or right in this case even though the trainee panicked and "lost" the use of his weapon.
Good suggestion on how to use the light in your favor.
Our office learned from that one.
Old October 16, 2001, 11:52 AM   #14
PreserveFreedom

I keep a 5 D cell maglite in the car. It gives a lot of confidence when traveling in no-carry states. A small fire extinguisher is nice as well.

Old October 16, 2001, 05:17 PM   #15
scouter27

LAS, was the dog okay? I'd hate to hear of a german sheperd killed like that.
Old October 16, 2001, 05:32 PM   #16
Mahakorin

We carry 3-cells in one of the slots on our ammo pouches on the belt where you normally shove in an M67 frag grenade. Of course we never see those things *sniff sniff* so we put all sorts of other goodies in there, like the maglite. The guys who carry them have that rubber head attachment for them usually.

So can we use the point of it (the battery end) kind of like a chisel to strike rather than as a club? We do it to hammer random things in the field usually (i.e. receiver pins on the M4.)
Old October 17, 2001, 12:14 AM   #17
LASur5r+P

Dog okay?

Yeah, scouter,
Dog was fine...probably with one heck of a headache, though. Couldn't blame the dog, it was doing its' job.

Mahakorin,
You got it, chisel point strike with maglite...works pretty good.Aim for the soft points. swing at bony parts.
Old October 18, 2001, 06:26 PM   #18
DragonDog

Has anyone yet tried to take a 3D-cell Maglite onto a plane? I'm flying this weekend and thinking about it. (Hope the FAA not reading this)
Old October 20, 2001, 11:50 PM   #19
swatman

I always kinda liked my 3 cell. The 6 is a bit much for me.

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old October 22, 2001, 11:28 AM   #20
hksigwalther

Have a 6D and a 6C. As mentioned, the 6C is actually much easier to hold onto. Use it all of the time whenever the lights go out during a storm. Hardly use the 6D after leaving it in the car over a period of time and the batteries inside corroded. Still works though. Now mostly use 6Ps and Scorpions.
Old October 27, 2001, 01:06 AM   #21
Seeker

4D as a club

Had occassion this evening to use my 4D as a club. I had gone out to bring the goats back up to the house and and had the dogs (1 Dobie/German Shep and 1 Austrailian Shep/Coyote?) with me as usual. We have to walk down a dark trail so I carry the light, although I usually don't turn it on. The dogs were scouting about and the Dobie was out of sight on a side trail, he made fierce sounds and tore into something, the other dog was obliged to assist. When I got there they were fighting a fairly good sized raccoon (thankfully it wasn't a polecat - the dobie got one of those a couple of weeks ago). There was all kinds of battle sounds from the three animals and several of pain from the Austrailian Shep. Yelled at the dogs and they backed off for a second and then dove back in.

I was carrying the mag light with little finger of left hand nearest the lens as discussed earlier in this thread. I first whacked the big dog on the butt and got his attention and he sat and stayed. I whacked the little dog on the butt and he let go the 'coon, but the 'coon didn't let go of him. The 'coon was on it's back and had a hold of the dogs face and it weren't lettin' go. So I whacked it on the head twice and it let go and the little dog backed off to sit and stay. The racoon wandered into the blackberry thickets to think about life for a bit.

Observation: when you swing the mag little using the grip I had your taget is suddenly in the dark and as the butt of the light nears the target the light is pointing at your face!

--
Took the dogs to the house and had the wife tend the little dogs face. Got the .22 rifle and went back out. I could see the eyes in the trees (7 year old Doug Firs) and blackberry thickets, but I couldn't see the rest of the critter well enough to be certain it wasn't one of our many cats (several of which are gray w/ black tiger strips) so I didn't shoot it.

I was wearing my Ka-bar the whole time and thought to draw against the raccoon to end the fight but really didn't want my hand in there with all those teeth and claws. The lenght and weight of the mag light seemed a better choice - except for the above observation.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old October 27, 2001, 06:40 AM   #22
LASur5r+P

Druthers

Seeker,
I believe that you made the best choice in that close quarters situation.

My brothers were doing a science experiment once with little white lab rats and a feral cat got into the garage....the sucker wouldn't leave the garage no matter what enticement that we used, and my brothers didn't want to lose their science experiment.
So we decided to go after the cat with mops and brooms(same reason...long reach, keeping hands out of teeth and claw range).
Wrong!

We were winning against the cat, until the cat got cornered in an empty TV cabinet....the sucker jumped straight up when my youngest brother did a straight lunge (as in bayonet type attack) and the cat went straight up in the cabinet, went into frantic clawing....tore my youngest brother's lead hand something fierce.
Also peed all over his hands....

It left then on its own volition...actually, kind of arrogantly. Rightfully so, too....we backed off. (Then rushed my brother to the hospital for shots and stitching.)

You definitely don't want to get your hands near sharp teetch and claws.
Old October 29, 2001, 10:07 PM   #23
Mannlicher

I have carried one of the MagLite Rechargeable for a long time. It is the one that just snaps into the recharger bracket. It is heavy, around 40 ounces, and very handy.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan