The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2000, 04:10 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Just curious, how many of you have got gun carts? Some places I go almost everyone , say 90% have carts. Others places, say only 10% have carts. I've got a old wooden grocery cart on two wheels and one leg support as my cart. It really comes in handy for toting guns, extra ammo, bottle of water,etc.
Old January 12, 2000, 05:15 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

Clubs in this area (GA) are in the 90% range. Just about everyone has a gun cart. I made mine to break down so that it fits in the back of my Acura. It's sturdy,holds my ammo and water,and gives me a place to sit down on those hot days.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 13, 2000, 01:01 AM   #3
Bullmoose

I just started building mine today, only been shooting SASS for about 3 months and either go with a friend and his cart or just his cart (BG). I normally get a little 'carried away' when I get into something so my cart is based on a 2'x4' flatbed wagon from Harbor Freight. I did have to somewhat scale back my original plans when I noticed the sign on the wagon 'Load Limit 1000#'. Everyone is telling me to make it as small as possible, but I already have about a thousand board feet of real nice red oak and all these visions in my mind (whats left of it). There are some real minimalists that have everything stuck in a 5 gallon paint bucket, fortunately most have been emptied of paint, that is taped to an old golf cart. They seem to work fine. It is a rarity when a shooter in the posse is carrying long guns in cases and a small box or bag with his shells, etc... Almost as rare as those miniature chuck wagons that take a couple years to built or a couple thousand dollars to buy. The main word to remember is FUN and that is like beauty isn't it? BullMoose
Old January 13, 2000, 04:57 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

When we first started CAS, none of us had guns carts of course. And when we traveled to other clubs to shoot we would fit five cowboys into one Suburban. Now we have to figure out who can take their gun cart. Teee-Hee
Old January 13, 2000, 12:36 PM   #5
Trigger Jerk

I started out with a flatbed from Harbor Freight that I built a real nice bench cart from. It had a folding shelf on one end for a cooler, you lifted the seat and there were two racks for long guns. There was a drawer in the bottom (bad idea as it bottomed out on high boulders), I had a folding beach umbrella and a folding shelf 6" x 48" that ran the length of the cart. I also had 6 racks for long gins on the outside of the cart. It was great, room for everthing, nice place to sit, with room to offer a seat to a friend. The only thing was the damn thing was heavy, making it hard to load and unload, and difficult to haul around on anything that wasn't fairly level and even.

I finally made a vertical cart that holds four long guns, with a box that doubles a a seat, using 20 inch bicycle tires. It's a lot lighter, and will handle the rougher terrain much much better.

About 50% of the shooters around me have carts....the other 50% have friends that have carts.

[This message has been edited by Trigger Jerk (edited January 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Trigger Jerk (edited January 13, 2000).]