The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 28, 2015, 12:47 PM   #26
dakota.potts

I wouldn't worry about it. I write for a prepper magazine online myself (not my usual audience, but it lets me right about firearms and make some extra money). I buy stuff online and I contribute under my name. I'm sure if somebody specifically wanted to come after me, they could come to my door and know exactly what guns I do and don't have.

The fact of the matter is that there are too many people for them to do anything about it. The ATF was explicitly tasked with keeping track of machine guns registered to them, of which there are 180,000 (roughly) in non-licensed hands and about half a million total. Yet, even of this highly regulated field of firearms which they are required by law to maintain a registry of, they have admitted an error margin as high as 50% in their record keeping.

Think of it like every one of us is a tiny little organism and they have a magnifying glass which would be useless to watch all of us, but can be used to view an individual. If they have some other reason to be looking into you, it's possible that your online ammo purchases may come up. Otherwise, what are they going to do about it?

Don't be so afraid of your government that it keeps you from exercising a clearly legal activity. Just stay involved in the process.
Old September 28, 2015, 12:57 PM   #27
Erno86

If their is a rogue active shooter on the loose in your area...expect your mail order ammo shipments to be searched --- As to what kind of ammo did you order.

When the two rogue snipers {Lee Malvo and the other guy} were on the loose in the Baltimore - Washington D.C. metro area --- I believe my mail order ammo shipment was searched by somebody involved in UPS system.

--- George Orwell
Old September 28, 2015, 01:00 PM   #28
WV_gunner

If I have the spare money I might buy a box or two of cheaper stuff and most of my rifles are usually $20-$35 a box for $20 so I don't but much of that. I've got a half shot box of .30-30 from 2010 if that tells you anything. When money didn't matter I could go through it faster, might waste $50 a month on ammo some months. I think the last time I bought ammo was last year and that a few boxes of steel cases 7.62x39 and before that was 2012 for a box of .45-70 ammo.
As far as being under the radar there is no such thing. If you are discret as possible someone knows something. And unless you have illegal guns you have nothing to worry about it. Now if you're some crazy and "they" find you've been looking into questionable stuff (more than just guns) then you can expect a possible visit from someone.
It's just gonna make many people mad here if I say my theory on the NRA, and I'm not saying it's all bad. But let's say they are over rated. The closest thing to proof is look at what happened recently with WV and no permit to conceal. They basically had no comment about what they thought of it. If they believed in gun rights fully then they would've been all over it. But they'd loose thousands because they'd loose people taking their class to get the permit.
Old September 28, 2015, 02:09 PM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
expect your mail order ammo shipments to be searched

Only time I ever had anything searched was when I ordered a custom made holster from England. It came shipped in just a standard shipping envelope and when handled felt just like a gun. The outside of the envelope also became shaped like the holster inside it.....like a 1911. There was a letter from U.S. Customs saying they had opened and inspected the package........

Doubt very much if it put me on a watch list tho.........
Old September 28, 2015, 03:53 PM   #30
rickyrick

I tend to agree with the train if thought of why they would expend resources to investigate a common occurrence, legal activity.

The media tends to paint a picture of wrong doing if a person has more than a box of ammo but that's it
Old September 28, 2015, 05:59 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

I don't have facebook, but I love curly fries. I try to avoid eating other fries, but curly fries get all the love I can spare. Does that mean I am smart or not?

Quote:
Simple, combine facial recognition software and a driver's license photo database, you are traceable to that purchase event. Link that to a GPS ping of your cell phone from any three towers, and you are track-able in both time and space.
That is possible, not simple. Are they cross referencing all the private security cameras at all of the ammo counters in the US and running this software? The government has a lot of processing power and a lot of hard drive space. I don't think they have that much. Retroactively looking at the behavior of one person after the fact with warrants and such, sure thing. Trying to assemble a comprehensive database? I doubt it.
And, as I said before, even if they get a database, until they have automated enforcement officers they aren't going to have the man power to act on it.
Old September 28, 2015, 08:33 PM   #32
KEYBEAR

I really miss the old days when you went to a house hold auction out in the country . You would find a lot of ammo in military ammo cans .
I bought a lot of 30-06 service ammo for 50 bucks a can (some 720 rounds per can). 40 years later I still shoot some every year
Old September 29, 2015, 02:33 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

I miss 'em, too. Used to see quite a bit of boxed ammo at estate sales, grandpa's two boxes he kept for deer season, or that half case of .22 LR or shotshells, all going for not much bucks. $5 a box for centerfire rifle ammo was about standard.

Now for some reason it's just not there.
Old September 30, 2015, 06:56 AM   #34
BlueTrain

It does seem ironic to be buying a pistol holster from the U.K.

Most of the selling of the idea of end times, government collapse (typically referring to the federal government and pretending there is no other government), invasions by North Koreans and other illegal immigrants is just that: selling. No doubt there are a lot of hate for the federal government, if we take the display of Confederate (government) flags to be any indication but I do live in Virginia and I guess it's to be expected.

There are good reasons to stock up on ammunition if you do a lot of shooting. Two hundred rounds a week, which doesn't sound like a whole lot, at least not of pistol ammunition, amounts 10,000 rounds a year (with two weeks of vacation). Prices will surely go up and your income may go down, especially when you retire and can do more shooting. Storage is no problem, really. But if everyone did the same thing, the price would go up even more (in a market economy) and it would became scarcer. The same thing happens to any commodity if storage or cost does not become an issue.

But judging from what I read here, lots of contributors do more shooting in a year than Elmer Keith did in a lifetime.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 30, 2015, 11:52 AM   #35
rickyrick

I do less shooting now than I did in the past.

I had a place to shoot privately. I would find myself with free time, I'd swing by the store grab some ammo and head out.

2008 hit, had no ammo for a very long time. 2013 hit, a bad year for me personally, aside from shooting, and no ammo for a while again..... Wasn't as bad as 2008... but still.

Now shooting is a scheduled event, not as easy to go as it once was and I live in the northwest and I compete for forest space with other shooters.

I'm slowly building a stash, not like many people here, but slowly building as the elections loom ever closer.

I never clean out a shelf of ammo at Wally or wherever. I pick up a box here and there and stash it.