The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 9, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Crosshair

Mech-Tech CCU 45 vs Feather USA RAV-45?

I have a Mech-Tech CCU in 45 ACP for a 1911. It's an older model with a fixed stock. I have considered selling it for a Feather USA RAV-45 as a general purpose PCC and possible candidate for an SBR conversion.

Between the two, which do you think is the better gun and why? Has anyone SBR'd a RAV-45?
Old June 10, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
rkarr

.45 carbine Mech-Tech, Feather & JR

Crosshairs: If your looking at a Feather .45 carbine you may want to explore JR (emf-company.com ). No idea of quality or reliability, just another carbine that is similar. Got an email just yesterday from Walt @ EMF saying they will "soon" have JR .45 carbines using Glock mags, & "It will be a while till they have a mag well that will accept the 1911 single stack mags". My interest is in a semi-auto .45 ACP carbine that will accept standard 1911-style magazines. The only ones I've found so far are the Marlin Camp 45 (no longer produced) & the Mech-Tech using a 1911 single stack lower.

Came across an auction item: FEATHER USA /IND 460 ROWLAND/45ACP+ SCOPE + AMMO+spare .45 ACP barrel (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=229461094) a couple of weeks ago, asking $2500. They guy seemed like he'd deal some. The offering included a spare .45 ACP barrel, a Steiner 3x12-56 scope & 500 rounds of 460 Rowland.

Just from what I've read: .45 ACP & .45 Super will function realibly in a 460 Rowland weapon, but I didn't like that they "headspace" using the extractor claw since the firing chamber is deeper/longer to accommodate the longer 460 Rowland cartridge. They would also eventually foul the firing chamber requiring thorough cleaning before using 460 Rowland cartridges.

If you decide to sell the Mech-Tech let me know, send pics & more info & price: [email protected].

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of lever-action .45 ACP carbines?