The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2000, 04:35 PM   #1
Cherokee

I have been told that if I install a muzzel break that I do not need to re-crown the barrel after cutting it- just make sure its square. Is this true - I hope so. Do I just cut the barrel and install the break? Thanks.
Old September 5, 2000, 06:08 PM   #2
johnwill

I have never heard that, but it may be true. OTOH, if it were my gun, I'd want to be sure the crown was proper, since that's a major contributor to accuracy. FWIW, the muzzle brake won't change the need for crowning AFAIK.
Old September 7, 2000, 02:32 PM   #3
BBBBill

Don't think of the crown as a specific shape. It is really just being sure that it is exactly the same all the way around. It can be flat, recessed, concave, or rounded. It just must be concentric all the way around. Recrowning insures this, no matter which shape you prefer. If you cut, you must recrown to your preferred shape for any hope of accuracy.
Old September 7, 2000, 08:03 PM   #4
johnwill

While I think you're basically correct, most crown cuts are at an angle from 90 degrees. I have seen several references to an 11 deg crown for match barrels. I've never personally crowned a barrel, but in examining all my guns (quite a few), I don't see any that are blunt crowned.
Old September 7, 2000, 09:15 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

As long as the end of the bore is square, the rest of the crown is irrelevant for accuracy. But, a crown of some kind protects the end of the bore if the end of the barrel hits something. A rounded crown serves that purpose and looks good, but any shape that protects the muzzle end is OK. If a muzzle device of any kind is installed, it will protect the muzzle and the barrel end can be flat.

Jim