The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 11, 2012, 07:09 PM   #76
checkmyswag

I've got the rifle fundamentals covered. Not new to rifles.

I shot the AR for years in the military so I'm very comfortable with it which is a big benefit. Know its accurate as well and I like the sights. I do consider the mini-14 instead as its a more traditional rifle and supposedly more reliable. Also a little cheaper.

I like the AK for its known reliablity but that's about it. Hate the sights and ergonomics so think im going go rule that out.

M1A would be my ideal rifle I think but again consider the AR10 style as I'm familiar with the AR but have concerns with reliability.

So...not sure what to do short of buying one of each which I cannot.
Old June 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #77
RampantAndroid

Quote:
M1A would be my ideal rifle I think but again consider the AR10 style as I'm familiar with the AR but have concerns with reliability.
My M1A cost not too much over 1K new + 700 for a SAGE EBR stock. A POF or LMT AR10 costs 3K. IMO, a "modernized" M1A can be had for less money. Personal preference is I'd take the M1A since I love the M1 Garand and the M14 is a direct descendant of it...and spend the saved money on a 1903 Springfield.

Quote:
I think a big factor is whether you want to use optics down the road. If so, the bolt action and AR are better suited for that.
My setup is an M1A, Sage EBR Mod 0, cantilevered sight base and a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x. optics are simple with a SAGE stock or similar aftermarket stock.

Also, they are simple with no stock change: http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com...pe_Mounts.html
Old June 27, 2012, 02:46 PM   #78
jmstr

I have a well-made AR-15 and a Saiga .308.

I enjoy both. I want an M1A someday, but I like being able to buy 100 rounds for $40 for reloadable .223 ammo. The .308 is around $43 for 100 rounds of non-reloadable ammo [or about $67 for 100 rounds of reloadable ammo].

My ammo prices are not based on buying bulk ammo [250+ rounds]. My .223 price is WalMart 100 round Federal box pricing. My .308 is from Sportsmansguide by taking 20 round boxes times 5.

I don't reload yet, so getting non-reloadable saves me money and I do it. I also save brass for when I do reload.

I will say this: .308 feels VERY satisfying to shoot, but I can shoot more .223 ammo for longer with less pain to my shoulder and my wallet, and more shots on target.

Someday I'd like M1A, as it would be better for MOA shots, but the Saiga .308 will work fine as a SHTF .308 rifle.

In your situation, I'd probably go with the .308 and .223 rifle combo over the .308 only route. But, I wouldn't go .223 only ever.

Oh, I also have other bolt/lever action rifles for the precision w/ a large caliber, that is why I went Saiga [ak action] .308 instead of Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle: ability to throw lead down range in a hurry.
Old June 30, 2012, 09:20 AM   #79
Al Den

AR and .308 Ruger Scout.
Old June 30, 2012, 03:45 PM   #80
amprecon

I had lusted after an M1A for years and finally did get one. I have discovered, IMO, that to get the most out of a .308 caliber rifle, it should be scoped. As an M1A or any military style 7.62X51mm rifle is already heavy, adding any attachments to it sends it over the edge in weight as far as I'm concerned.

Again, in my experience, it was hard to justify a .308 battle rifle when the intermediate calibers unscoped are softer shooting, lighter, shorter, handier and in the right calibers, almost as effective as the .308 within their effective range envelope.

So as much as I liked the M1A, I found it impractical for my uses, sold it and bought a bolt gun in .308 and scoped it.

As a practical person, I had no real "need" for the M1A as my other rifles had the "bases covered".

As far as my collection goes, I have a milled AK, an AR in 6.8spc and a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I could probably narrow this down to one or two and be completely satisfied. If I had to get rid of one of these it'd probably be the AK and from a practical standpoint be totally covered, but I just can't get rid of any of these.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old July 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #81
Mr2005

Ar and the gunsite. ....primiraly because i have both and enjoy them both. I don't need a semi in .308.
Old August 7, 2012, 06:01 PM   #82
imp

Since I'm spending your money, I'm going with the M1A/M14. I'm not sure what you can do with the Ruger Gunsite and AR/AK that you can't do just as well with the M14. Maybe hunt deer in certain states that don't allow semi-auto, but I have a feeling that if you were much of a hunter, you would have a dedicated hunting rig before playing with scout rifles and semi-autos.

Guess I'm biased. I hate AK's, and I sold both my AR's, and I'm not sure that I would have a use for a short barrel .308

The older I get, the less I need the ability to fire ammunition quickly, and more of a need to shoot more accuratly, and at greater distance. But, as the old folks say, your mileage may vary.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:02 PM   #83
Drummer101

I would get the ruger and forget the AK...
Old August 8, 2012, 09:10 AM   #84
ronc0011

I really love shooting this thing and maybe someday I might get a Troy EBR stock for it I must confess to a preference for the 308 over the 223 varmint round. I've also got an 03 Springfield that will shoot dime size holes at 100yrd.It was one of the rifles the army sold off in one of their civilian shooting programs. it originally came packed in cosmoline and "0" range time. I've got the M1A zeroed at 300 yrds Not sure what it's shooting right now it was doing about 2 inches last time i had it out What I really want to do is take it to a range with a 1000 yrd range. But I'll have to save up for that one The nearest 1000 rang to me is about 60 miles away on a good day. Plus it cost a bit to feed the thing but it's a ball to shoot.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:11 AM   #85
SharpDog

Why one gun

The one gun scenario only makes sense for me in that you will be on foot. Otherwise if you have transportation or are at your base you can have more weapons. In that light, why would you be on foot with one gun. I would assume that you are either hunting or were forced to evacuate on foot.

That said, if I was hunting I would have my steyr scout .308 or my M1A1. If I was bugging out I would have either one of those or my AR10T or MY AK-47. Hard for me to decide. I do have a carbon-15 carbine and pistol and one of them would be my second "one gun" in the evacuation scenario. In the hunting scenario my second gun would likely be a 10MM auto or .44 magnum with scope.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:18 PM   #86
JHansenAK47

Quote:
I had a 308 bolt gun in the past and the hyper accuracy thing isn't real important to me, plus the kick is no fun.
Quote:
I really get a laugh out of people who complain about recoil of a 308.