The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 25, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
JGulley317

Holster suggestion?

I'm looking for a holster for IWB concealed carry. I'm not too familiar with what's all on the market because this is my first holster. I've been told that with some of "supertuck style" holsters that it's harder to take on or off, but more comfortable and that the perk to having a holster with just one clip is that it's easier to take off and on, but also not as comfortable. So if this is the case...then I'd like the have one of each. I figured I could use the "supertuck style" holster for all day use and I'd like the one clip holster if I'm just running to the store or making a short trip then back home. I found a few, if you could tell me what you think about them or if you recommend a different one then please let me know. Any advice is much appreciated! I'd hate to buy one of each just to know which is best! Your opinion matters! The holster will conceal a Glock 26.

Short term carry (to the grocery store and back home)
High Noon Public Secret seems to be the most expensive, but most comfortable and concealable.
Don Hume Clip on IWB is the cheapest but seems bulky...
Galco All Kydex looks like it'd be easy to conceal, but very uncomfortable.

Long term carry (carrying all day, not taking off)
Crossbread supertuck this company seems to have a good name.
DM Bullard Leather, duel carry looks very comfortable (maybe the most). but I don't know how comfortable I'd feel if I had to reach all the way around my back and out of sight.
Thesis Holsters looks like crossbread
White Hat Holsters maybe it's just me, seems a little thicker then crossbread.

Thanks for your help, Gulley
Old February 26, 2012, 11:23 AM   #2
308Gunner

I own an IWB from a local shop here in NY called Cutt's Custom Leather;

http://cuttscustomleather.com/products.htm

I've been very satisfied with the quality of the work. He was very prompt about everything, and has a couple different options to work with. Mine has a button-snap strap that goes around the belt to hold it in place, so it's easy on/off. I opted for the top safety strap as well, but it can come without.

Here's a shot of the rig with my UCII;

Personally, I'd recommend against holsters that use a clip on the belt as opposed to a strap. I owned one once, and hated it. Unless you have a belt that's the exact length of the clip, it moves around a lot. You're much better off with a button-down strap. DeSantis also makes one that snaps on, as does Kirkpatrick Leather that I can also recommend. One styled like this easily fulfills both short term and long term use. I've carried the Cutt one all day long with no issues.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/desantis...d-walther.html

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/iwb-holsters

I can't speak on the Cross-Breeds or Supertuk type ones; never used one before.

In the end, sadly, it may come down to just spending some money and figuring out what works best for you. Ask 100 different CCW holders what they like for a holster, you'll probably get 100 different answers I went through probably 3 or 4 different holsters, both OWB and IWB, before settling on one I like enough.

— George Mason

Last edited by 308Gunner; February 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
arizona98tj

Of those you listed, I have leather holsters made by High Noon and Galco. Both make a quality product, in my opinion. Sorry I can 't give you specifics on the models you are interested in. I prefer OWB holsters myself.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
kalevatom

The wife and I use Crossbreed Super Tucks for a variety of guns. M&P 40fs, M&P 40c,LC9, S&W 3913, and a Taurus 709. We have added a layer of thin felt to the backs of them for better comfort against the body. As the holsters break in, they do get softer and form-fit to you better. Our choice for IWB.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

IWB holsters; CoS...

As a "customer of size"(CoS) AKA: a chunky monkey, I'm not very fond of IWB style carry rigs.
That said, a few of the top designs I'd look at include; the Ted Blocker LFI holster, the Milt Sparks Summer Special, Mitch Rosen, Blade-tech, Galco, Alessi, Mernickle, COM Holsters, and the highly rated Kramer horsehide line.
Kramer uses Chicago screws which are longer lasting than the metal snaps.
Ted Blocker's LFI was co-designed with top instructor/lethal force expert Massad Ayoob.

ClydeFrog
PS: what ever design you choose, buy a solid lined belt too. A size or 2 larger is suggested.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I use a Theis horsehide that I've had for about a year and a half, and I'm very happy with it. I use it to carry a full-sized pistol regularly, but not "all day, every day."

As others have mentioned, don't overlook the importance of a good belt. A proper belt makes a big difference. I use an Aker B21, but The Beltman also comes highly reccommended.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
GlockedNLoded32

look at Theis Holsters they are IWB Holsters that are very comfterble
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old February 28, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
sawman1293

I just received my Crossbreed holsters yesterday and I am amazed how comfortable they are. I also bought their belts to go along with the holsters. They are really quality belts! I bought the mini-tuck for my lcp, and a supertuck for my sr9c. Wearing the mini now, and will probably swap out every other day until they get a little broken in. I have tried several others, only to be disappointed.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Nathan

I like my Milt Sparks SS2. I really can't find a need or want for these leather panel kydex IWB rigs. They look like big holsters which rely on their fasteners too much. I also like my sparks heritage htr.

Of the ones you mention, I would try the Don Hume first. I like the 2 I have. Neither is a clip on.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:27 AM   #10
swinokur

+1 on Theis holsters

www.theisholsters.com

Great CS, good price, great quality
Old March 1, 2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Nitesites

This is a very interesting concept for IWB (Appendix)...http://kitup.military.com/2012/01/sm...ncealment.html. Hope the mods won't protest the link but this is the best article I've found on it yet; if so, apologies. I'm very tempted to try one out for myself (G26).